TKR Question please

Hippalong

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am waiting for a date for a LTKR, I am getting this done at a private hospital but on the NHS. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in various joints including my right knee, which is almost as bad as the left. My question is can I ask the Surgeon if he will look at the right knee too, or would I have to be re-referred and go back on waiting list? Many thanks in advance.:)

Hello Hippalong and welcome to the Knee Forum.

I am not sure how it works in the UK, but I believe its common here in the states to have both sides x-rayed at the same time upon diagnosis. I'll tag two UK staff members @EalingGran and @Jaycey I am sure one of them will respond in a timely manner.

Which hip did you have replaced in July 2017? Please let us know and we'll add that info to your signature.

I will leave some pre-op reading for you. Take a look and let us know if you have any questions. Lots of comfort to you!

KNEE PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at some stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hello Hippalong and welcome to the Knee Forum.

I am not sure how it works in the UK, but I believe its common here in the states to have both sides x-rayed at the same time upon diagnosis. I'll tag two UK staff members @EalingGran and @Jaycey I am sure one of them will respond in a timely manner.

Which hip did you have replaced in July 2017? Please let us know and we'll add that info to your signature.

I will leave some pre-op reading for you. Take a look and let us know if you have any questions. Lots of comfort to you!

KNEE PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at some stories of amazing knee recoveries
Hi @Layla
Thankyou so much for the reply and the valuable links. I was referred initially by my Rheumatologist but only had MRI on left knee. I would like to ask my current Surgeon about the right knee but don't want to be seen as trying to 'jump the queue' In answer to your question It was my left hip I had replaced which is how I found this wonderful group!
Kind regards

There's absolutely no harm in asking about another joint. We are sometimes just too polite for our own good.
I guess it depends on what the contract is that the NHS has taken with the private hospital- but they may be happy to help. Or the worst is that they simply say no. You lose nothing by asking.

There's absolutely no harm in asking about another joint. We are sometimes just too polite for our own good.
I guess it depends on what the contract is that the NHS has taken with the private hospital- but they may be happy to help. Or the worst is that they simply say no. You lose nothing by asking.
Hi there and good morning!
Thankyou and what you say makes sense, they can only say no i suppose, Im just maybe too cautious and need to 'man up' haha. I may just be lucky! Thanks again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dkhip1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom