Guest viewing is limited

Question About Surgery and Pain Afterwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Jackie,
I never even knew I had a catheter I mean it was done after I was asleep and gone when I woke up. I don't remember when I went but I walked with the nurse and remember they had the high tolites in the room. (i wish mine was like that at home):blush:

Yep, your due next Tuesday..Are you ok with everything now? I wish it was me going in that soon. Your probably going to be doing great by the first day of Spring (the 20th) no pain in your hip. I envy you so much!:thmb:

I been trying to cook things for the freezer and been having a run of bad (I mean bad) cooking. This is like two weeks now:hissy: Even my soup didn't turn out? I may starve when I get home at this rate!:hehe:
Ok thinking of you, know your going to do well. Think positive now and don't:pnc:
:wub: Sandy
 
It seems to depend on the doc at my hospital re: catheter. They told us in class that some of the docs removed them before surgery, some left them in.

I was in bed having to pee, and figured I probably had a catheter and didn't have to worry about it. So the next time the nurse came around I mentioned that, and her eyes got the size of saucers and she said 'No! You DONT have one!'.

Then she went to look at my chart to see if I could get up and put weight on the leg or not. Yep....Tried the bedside commode and I thot I was gonna fall IN! So they let me get the walker and go to the restroom.

And on any other forum that would be totally too much information! :rotfl:

PS on the pain...I am hitting 5 weeks on Monday. I had a major decrease in the need for pain meds at 3 weeks, and feel like I am coming up on another.
 
kjt,
that is too funny!:hehe: Strange they take it out before your awake I think but I guess they have their reasons?
Glad your doing so well by the way!!!:D
Sandy
 
In most cases the cath (if used) will be placed while you are still asleep. When it is removed depends on he doctor. In my case it was taken out shortly after I got to my room. I was not allowed to get up until the day after surgery, so had to (ugh!) use the bed pan one time at night.
 
In the UK, catheters are rarely used even when a spinal is done. Generally, the patient doesn't have a need to empty their bladder before the spinal wears off and then they can use a bedpan. If they get a full bladder before this and have no bladder function (like I did!) then they will be catheterized but it's not left in.
 
Oh you guys....you are so funny....you do put a smile on my face.....and truth be told you all make me feel so calm and happy.....Any way enough of this guff......:wink:
When I had my hysterectomy I had a catheter and if memory serves me well it was in for at least a day....I don't do bed pans very well....not the most dignified of appliances....:blush:

Sunshine I think your just going through a bad patch re your cooking....if all else fails you can always use take-aways.....:hehe:
Thank you all for your words of encouragement....:thnk:
 
Don't really think anyone 'does bedpans' very well. And that includes me. I also hate squatting behind a bush in a field which I've had to do in the past, but when the need arises, you just have to get on with it.
 
Down here they insert a catheter when you are asleep and leave it in until you are up and about on crutches a couple of days later.
 
sat had trhr at 8:30am

this morning moving my hip out of bed I noticed I had hip right where It would have sent me thru roof. NO pain, NONE. moved leg about to create pain could not.

Moved out of bed and I hurt in the incision area some. Got up no pain at all.
 
No one seems to think much about how to use a bedpan, except me. It seems you'd have to be in great physical condition to manage to perch yourself on something in the middle of the bed. I just don't understand how you could do this if you had a knee or hip replacement and have pain or are weak.
 
Its ok they are shaped to slip under you and have a sort of lip on the front so you can use it lying down in necessary.
You bum (butt) (bottom) does get a bit wet but the sheets stay dry!!!!
 
I don't know....I wasn't very successful using one the two times I had to before I could get out of bed. I hope I never see another one again in my whole life!!!
 
Depends which type of bed pan they are using.

There's the traditional type you are better trying to sit up on
Open end is facing towards the feet

[Bonesmart.org] Question About Surgery and Pain Afterwards

and the slipper type you can use whilst lying down
Thin end goes in first so it's under your back



Both suck!
 
I had to use one for six weeks when I was originally injured in my car accident. I had a splint on the right lower leg for a compound fracture and my left leg was set in an internally fixated traction. That means there was a metal pin going through my leg, protuding out on both sides and sat just above the knee. The pin was used to hold my leg up to the traction bar. I had a catheter but since I could not get out of bed or off my back for the full six weeks, there was no option but to use the bed pan. All I can say is you just do what you gotta do. That should be my motto.
 
That's pretty much the motto for ALL us BoneSmarties, Karen!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom