Guest viewing is limited

THR Progress Reports

There does seem to be some controversy about the swivel chairs - probably because of the risk of twisting / getting the operated leg in a poor position and then putting pressure on it.
Soft chairs I found really difficult in the first weeks - needed support under the bum as well as knees lower the hips otherwise could feel the strain/pull on the muscles that then became pain!
 
@SurreyGirl I would be very careful with the shower at first, turning is difficult as is standing unsupported for any length of time - do you have a shower seat or hand grips?
 
There does seem to be some controversy about the swivel chairs - probably because of the risk of twisting / getting the operated leg in a poor position and then putting pressure on it.
I always used my rolling swiveling chair at work...I just picked feet up and turned it with my hands on desk...if you know what I mean.
Didn't know there could be an issue so may have been ignorance on my part.
Rolling over to file cabinet helpful though!:)
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone, hope all hippies are doing well.
I had my first massage session today. Even after just one session my troublesome ankle feels slightly less restricted. She also worked on my tense neck and shoulders and did a little gentle effleurage around the scar. We'll see how I feel tomorrow but I hope to go back next week.
I have been aching a bit more over the weekend (pelvis and legs; operated and unoperated-arthritic side) - not sure if it's because I've been trying to sleep on my side or if I overdid it on Friday - nothing really strenuous but on my feet for several hours accompanying family around an outdoor museum / heritage farm / children's play park and sometimes pushing the baby's buggy.
I can also recognise the unsettled uncomfortable feeling at night that some of you have described and I find that increasing the painkillers (just paracetamol now) can help.
Take care.
 
Hi, I am feeling confused - I have been doing very little walking or other exercise since I was ill a few weeks ago although I did do some driving. I am coming up for 3 months post-op and have got localised pain with some warmth and swelling over and around the greater trochanter of the operated hip and it seems to be getting worse. Since last week I have been to London and back by train, staying with friends of friends in (very hot) attic room (steep narrow stairs) and sitting on folding chairs with metal sides that rub against hips. I have used Hackney cabs, Uber cars, London buses and navigated the Underground (once only - too hot, too much walking and too many stairs). I also spent one evening sitting in a theatre. Had a great time but am wondering if my problem is muscle weakness rather than too much exercise?
Am about to ice and elevate the leg but any advice would be appreciated.
 
Hi there,
It sounds like you went from barely any activity to an over abundance of activity.
All or nothing. I'd definitely be icing. Josephine recommends icing sessions last 40-60 mins, several times daily.
Target 4x daily, or more. Are you taking anything for pain relief? We may need Josephine to advise...
@Newhip_Pol
 
@Newhip_Pol you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

In answer to your question - you are doing too little you have over done the activity and your new hip is complaining. Any new or increased activity may aggravate a new hip. With time this will ease.
 
@Jaycey Ok - understood about threads.
Have to say all the sitting about whilst travelling didn't feel like 'activity but I am glad to be home!
 
Hi @Layla, I've been taking paracetamol (2 × 500mg) regularly at night. Included some in the day yesterday and added 2 x 200mg ibuprofen before bed. Nothing so far today except the ice. Pain not noticeable unless I touch the affected area or try to move about.
 
Have to say all the sitting about whilst travelling didn't feel like 'activity
Well, you probably did far more than just sit. Carried or rolled a suitcase, up and down stairs? Then there is sitting for any length of time in an uncomfortable chair. I remember my first trips to London post my RTHR. Lots of aches and pains and SO tiring.
 
Not so much the suitcases (got hubby for that ) but certainly uncomfortable and tiring - and I suppose I should also mention the grandchildren!
 
Hi again,
Hopefully between the pain reliever you're taking, rest and ice you'll feel better soon.
Let us know how you're doing after you get some rest.
Wishing you comfort!
@Newhip_Pol
 
Last edited:
Hello all,

@Layla The rest, ice and increased pain killers definitely helped and the focused pain has subsided.

I seem to be (almost) back to the (low) level of activity I was at prior to surgery. I had hoped to be able to do more but perhaps I am too impatient. My muscles ache if I spend more time on my feet (visiting farm park) or going swimming - as others have suggested it is probably too easy to overdo it in the pool. I am also disappointed that along the wound line is still tender to touch.

Meanwhile I am now apprehensive (scared) because I am due to have lens replacement (cataract) surgery this coming week. I know it is generally very successful but it's all the 'what if...'.

I am also worried about how I will manage until the second one is done because there will be major mismatch between my eyes and the wait for the second op here can be weeks or even months!

Finding it difficult to be positive about it all especially as I am technically now a year older (and no wiser) than when I last wrote!!
 
Happy Saturday to you!
Give it time. You're not even three months post op.
It can take a full year, even longer in some cases, to fully heal.
Your flesh was cut, as were muscles, tendons and ligaments to get to your bone on which power tools were used. It was major surgery, your leg suffered trauma. It is trying to heal and IT IS healing. You need to be patient and give it TLC. You can't rush Recovery.

I wish you well with your Cataract surgery this week. Just as with THR calm yourself with a reminder of how many of these surgeries are performed daily and the high success rate. All involved want the best possible outcome and will do their best to achieve that. I'm sure you'll do just fine and be pleased with the result.

Just take it all one day at a time. We'll be here to offer support and encouragement. Stop by often.

Hugs and best wishes for a great weekend!
@Newhip_Pol
 
You're Welcome. Belated Happy Birthday to you! I'm a little s-l-o-w this morning :heehee:
I hope you have a great rest of the day :)
Forgot to mention one last thing. The area around my incision felt sensitive for months.
Definitely longer than three, if that's if of any comfort to you.
@Newhip_Pol
 
@Newhip_Pol I am told that I have cataract surgery to look forward to in the near future and I feel your anxiety. I am sure staff deal with this with every patient. Be sure and let them know you are nervous. They will do everything they can to help you through this.

Please let us know who it goes!
 
Hi, @Jaycey and @Layla - thank you for your support. Cataract Surgery was Weds 15 and all went well, everyone was very kind and caring. Not sure Alan (nurse delegated to hold my hand) had any blood left in his fingers by the end! Only about 10 mins actual procedure (preparation and recovery make about 2 hrs total) no pain and only mild discomfort but I found it very unpleasant. (Hate going to dentist too - think it's about the personal assault and lack of control).
No problems with the eye so far, still using drops 4x daily (5d chloramphenicol 28d dexamethasone) and wearing shield at night.
Sadly vision using both eyes is very difficult, new eyesight doesn't work with unoperated eye - with or without old glasses - huge problems with blurring and/or double vision. Have to wait 4-6 weeks for vision to settle before they will even plan second op.
Despondent!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom