Guest viewing is limited

TKR Progress not perfection

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago on Monday. I am taking Tylenol usually in the morning and I use oxicodone when I go to bed at night and before PT. Some nights its very hard to get comfortable.
I have been sleeping in the spare bedroom so I dont disturb my husband with all my tossing and turning. I went for my 1st walk up and down my small street with my son and walker. It felt good to get out. My therapist said it is better to up and down the street instead of around the block. You may get to far from home and start hurting. I still have swelling and my knee doesnt really hurt but feels weird.
I know my doctor said with hip surgery you may forget which hip you had done but with knee replacement you will always know as it will not feel like the real knee. My question is..... after you've had your knee replacement for a while (after a year of healing) do you ever not think about it constantly. Does it just become part of your life?
 
I was really frustrated yesterday after PT As my flexion decreased instead of going up. The day before I went to get more meds and the pharmacy said 2 hour wait. So I spent a good 3 hours in the car and I was so stiff and then PT the next day, my knee is pretty angry at me now. I think that’s why I lost flexion.
That's a fine example of cause and effect.

At only 3 weeks post-op, being out in the car and waiting around for so long was too much for your new knee. So it swelled and, consequently, your flexion had decreased.

At only 3 weeks, there's no need at all to worry about Range of Motion (ROM) because ROM can continue to increase for a year, or even longer after surgery.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
4 weeks out and would like to start some anti-inflammatory like Aleve. I had Celebrex the first 2 weeks and nothing the last 2 weeks. I think it might help my walking a bit. It's still really stiff.
Just don't combine the anti-inflammatories--take one or the other. Stiffness is part of the recovery and is a form of pain. I couldn't take NSAIDs with my 2nd knee (due to a past ulcer) but interestingly I found Tylenol (acetaminophen) helped.
 
Iam about 10 weeks from my RTKR. My knee is starting loosen up a bit. But I've noticed that my foot is bugging me. It feels heavy, and it aches on the sides and on top when I am walking. Actually it bothers me more than my knee when I'm walking.
When I had my surgery it took quite awhile to flex and extend it. A sort of foot drop. I was thinking that the mechanics of my leg have changed - new knee and my foot is going to need to be retrained on how to walk. Does that make sense? And has anyone else had this issue?
 
Yes and yes. I’m one day behind you and my foot often feels like a weight I’m trying to drag along. I also have been experiencing cramps in the arch of the foot. I think you’re right, everything is having to unlearn and learn anew.
 
I see my doc in two days for a two week checkup, and one of my questions is can I take an otc nsaid when I am done with the celebrex.
 
Coker, you might consider joining the One Step program which BoneSmart sponsors. It evaluates and helps with gait.
 
COKER: About 4 weeks into my recovery from my recent LTKR, the top of my left foot began to ache. I asked my PT, and she suggested ankle pumps and more icing. Her suggestions worked. Now, I have an uncomfortable (but tolerable) tightness in my left knee AND I'm feeling tightness and slight discomfort in my right knee (RTKR in June 2019). But, I'm not worried at all. I'm trusting that it's all part of healing and learning how to walk correctly with both of my new knees. You have new knees and, you too, are learning how to walk again. Time and patience are the keys. Time and patience.
 
Last edited:
Coker, you might consider joining the One Step program which BoneSmart sponsors. It evaluates and helps with gait.
Thank you Sisterpat. I think I received a message about that. But somehow it got lost in the shuffle. Do you know how I can contact the program?
Coker, you might consider joining the One Step program which BoneSmart sponsors. It evaluates and helps with gait.
Thank you Sisterpat. I think I received a message about it. But I think I might have deleted it. Do you know how I can contact the program?
 
sterpat. I think I received a message about it. But I think I might have deleted it. Do you know how I can contact the program?
I’ll let @Jamie know you’re interested.
 
COKER: About 4 weeks into my recovery from my recent LTKR, the top of my left foot began to ache. I asked my PT, and she suggested ankle pumps and more icing. Her suggestions worked. Now, I have an uncomfortable (but tolerable) tightness in my left knee AND I'm feeling tightness and slight discomfort in my right knee (RTKR in June 2019). But, I'm not worried at all. I'm trusting that it's all part of healing and learning how to walk correctly with both of my new knees. You have new knees and, you too, are learning how to walk again. Time and patience are the keys. Time and patience.
That's good to hear Monarch mama.
I'm feeling a lot of different things such as the hips, leg muscles etc.The knee I just had replaced was bone on bone 10 years, but it didn't really hurt too much. But the last few years it started bugging me. I crashed my bike, fell a few times off trail hiking etc. So I thought I should have it done. But the body is a pretty cool thing, it just naturally compensates.And now, I'm feeling all those areas that compensated. Hopefully it will all settle down. Now I got to double up on the ankle pumps
 
@Coker, we have a new Fast Track registration page for OneStep now. Click on the OneStep sidebar ad to access information on the program and register. If you're on a smart device, the "sidebar ads" may be at the bottom of your page, so scroll all the way down.

Here's what you're looking for:

[Bonesmart.org] Progress not perfection
 
A day last week my knee was swollen, red, and hot to touch - I could barely bend it. My PT said it was because I walked too much (about 20 minutes or so), and my gait isn't restored so it tightened up the whole area. Interesting. He suggested backing off the walking (especially outside), and working on the stretching and gait inside. It has helped. . .I hear you that it's hard to stay put during the nice weather - my garden needs some ardent attention, but so does my knee, and the knee wins this time. Ah, patience. . . it takes a lot of mental and emotional work.
 
Has anybody had issues with the peroneal nerve after TKR? I'm thinking that might be my problem with my foot and gait. I'm about 10 1/2 weeks out and walk everyday. I realize it's still a new knee. But I'm just bummed that it might be permanent...maybe too much research cruising on the internet. Heck, now my foot is messed up...I'm thinking. I've signed up for the one step gait program. But maybe I should call the surgeon. I'm sure he's seen this before....yep folks you've just witnessed what's going on in the inner regions of my brain on a Sunday night
 
All the nerves in our legs have been under stress and are trying to heal and readjust to “normal”. I try to come here when something new appears rather than Google. It would take a lot of paper to list all the diseases and ailments I have self-diagnosed myself with because of googling!!! Hang in there!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom