Guest viewing is limited

Preparing for a total hip replacement

The week before surgery is the hardest, the pain is worse because you have to stop any meds you've been taking, and everything seems more amplified.

I had general anesthesia, they didn't even suggest spinal and I'm glad!! One minute I was talking to the anesthesiologist, the next I was waking up in recovery! And I know some folks on here were awake for their surgery, but I'm with Layla, no way in hell would I have done that!! Grogginess was gone in a few hours and gave me time to adjust.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you! You'll do great!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@1hipwonder hope this week goes well for you, the others are right, you will be pleasantly surprised at how well you'll do after surgery and just think, no more hip pain!

I had spinal with sedation for both thrs and loved it. They wheel you into the OR, you lean over and clutch a pillow, they swipe a numbing formula, insert the skinny needle (didn't hurt at all) and you're out until you awake in recovery and are usually given ice chips to eat.

I too was more concerned about the anesthesia than the surgery. I don't like being under and wanted to stay awake but OS doesn't want patients moving at all. For second thr I requested the lightest sedation possible and was clear headed, no headache or grogginess. I was on the op table and awake during OR prep which was interesting to me but maybe not to those who are squeamish. Legs quickly went numb after the spinal and I watched them being strapped into the boots (anterior via Hana table). Saw them clean the leg and drape it and then I was out.

I did wake up towards the end as the surgeon was sewing me up but it was fine. He smiled and said hi we're almost done and I looked up and thanked him and was quickly put out again. Didn't feel anything.

BS member, me2, chose to stay awake and had a good experience, type in her name in the search bar at the top to read her story.

The hospital staff have it down to a science, you show up and they do their thing. You'll do great :)
 
Last edited:
Good Morning @1hipwonder, my surgery is tomorrow and I completely understand how you feel.

I think I finally have everything ready at home, work is a different story. I am making lists and copying emails to the people that are going take over for me while I am gone. Yesterday I started freaking out thinking there is no way I will be ready, I just tried to stay busy and get through it. As I got to work this morning I feel like it is all going to be okay and I am going to be ready, I just need to manage today's fires and make sure everyone is informed.

Before we know it it is going to be Saturday and we are both going to be on the right side of this.

You are going to do great on Friday, can't wait to see you on the post op page.
 
Thank you all for your support and kindness - it's so nice and really reassuring to hear from you.

This evening, I've done a few practical things around the house - like rearranging the freezer so that all the ready meals are in the top drawer where I can reach them without bending. Ticking small (but probably important!) things off my list is helping to stop me going into total panic mode. Work is another matter entirely though! :)

@vcmike - good luck for tomorrow!
 
Hi @1hipwonder Not sure if anyone else suggested these:

LARGE gel packs. I bought two on Amazon and rotated between them... they were a constant source of cooling. They flex and wrap so you can cover different areas as needed. The BEST. Amazon product ASIN B000EAPNCQ
LARGE Men's boxers. It was summer and I wore them as undies if I was going out... and as shorts at home. No sticking to surgical area. No pressure. Awesome.

A variety of pillows... for sleeping on your back, later on your side, for elevating. It was helpful to have different sizes and thicknesses... Don't spend money unless you only have 1-2 at home... just gather them up & have them handy when you get home.

My hospital provided a lot of the devices- again, don't spend money unless you have to. Sending you positive vibes and best wishes!
 
Thanks @313Lola - great suggestion about the ice packs, and thanks to the wonder that is Amazon (how ever did we manage in the days before Amazon?!) I can have them delivered tomorrow so I've just ordered myself a couple! I'll also gather all my pillows together ready - luckily I hung on to a few old ones that I almost got rid of when I got a bit over zealous with the Spring cleaning recently. Goes to show you should never throw anything out! :)

I'm really pleased that the hospital have been able to arrange the loan of a couple of toilet frames - they weren't sure they'd be able to arrange it in time but they did and the frames arrived today.

Getting quite jittery now with only one more day to go, but I'm trying to focus on getting all the practicalities sorted, which is helping a bit. And I keep reminding myself that in just another 36 hours or so I can start to get my life back! :yahoo:
 
I think you will do just great! I had never had a spinal before but that is what they gave me for my hip surgery. I had the spinal along with something else to make me sleep. I'm not sure I even felt that needle go in. I laid back down and the next think I knew I was waking up and surgery was over! It was good because there are no after effects like with general surgery. You will be surprised at how quickly you will recover. Each person is different but it is truly amazing at how our bodies bounce back.

I know this is your last day before surgery but try to find some things to do while you recover. Maybe a few good books, tv watching, crocheting, knitting, puzzle books, games on computer, etc. You will have a lot of time on your hands for a few weeks. The early days you will find you are quite tired and may nap a lot but gradually you start to get your energy back but you still have a lot of time and so many people get very bored. Something to think about. I wish you the very best and I look forward to seeing you on the recovery side. :flwrysmile:
 
@1hipwonder ..sending you my best thoughts and wishes for Friday. I know you are nervous, but I also think you are well-prepared which should help you a lot. For me being well-prepared meant that on the day before surgery, I was able to spend the day/ evening relaxing and getting some solid sleep.

It will be over before you know it and you can begin to get your life back:wave:
 
Hi @1hipwonder
Well, tomorrow is the big day. I'm sure you're all prepared and ready to get on with this and move forward.
I hope that you are feeling more at ease and are able to get some sleep tonite. By this time tomorrow you'll be over surgery and in recovery, leaving all the pre-surgery jitters behind.

Just remember, as some wise Bone Smarties shared with me pre surgery, tomorrow is just another day at the office for your surgeon and his team to do what they do best. Also that many have successfully gone before you and have recovery stories to share as well as how the surgery has changed their lives for the better, giving them back the mobility they lost and taking away the pain they suffered. You'll do well.....I just know it.
We'll be waiting to hear your recovery story and will cheer you on as you heal.
Sending prayers and a warm hug!
 
Thank you so much everyone for your kind thoughts, words and support.

Well, it's 2am here and I'm still wide awake!! Never mind - I'm sure much of tomorrow will involve sleeping in one way or another :)

I've spent the day preparing everything and I think I'm as ready as I can be. I managed to fit in a quick coffee with a friend earlier today and a brief drink with another this evening, which has kept my spirits up and stopped me from worrying too much. My cats know something is going on and are picking up on my jitters but, as I type this, the oldest of the three has joined me on the bed and is snuggling up to me as if he's trying to reassure me. Hopefully his calming presence will help me catch a couple of hours' sleep now before I have to be up for the big day.

See you in a few hours on the post-op side! :wave:
 
@1hipwonder , best wishes for your surgery tomorrow, you won't know yourself when it's done. I had my thr on Monday and an surprised at how well I'm doing.Dont worry about the spinal , I was nervous about that too , but it was nothing , I barely felt it. See you on the other side.
 
@1hipwonder, I have been reading posts online today and read something about the ice packs. It looks as though you may have just had your surgery today so I hope you are doing well now as you should be reading this when you're on the post- op side. I do wish I had found this site sooner as all the people are so encouraging.
I didn't know I was going to have a spinal until the evening before the surgery when the anesthesiologist called me. I was freaked out about it and rather terrified. In the end it was no big deal. No pain at the site and I don't remember them doing it. I only remember turning so they could do it and I was gone. It was much more pleasant to wake up and not be so groggy with a foggy head from so much anesthesia.
What I wanted to share with you is a simple recipe for ice packs 1 part rubbing alcohol to one part water makes a gel pack put this in a baby diaper and freeze it makes it even better with the little beads them have in them. Put it in a zip lock bag. I use two just to be on the safe side. I found that my gel packs cooled off so fast that I couldn't get them to freeze up again fast enough. It has been summer though and the weather here has been extremely hot some days up to 110F. I don't think you will have that problem though...
Hope you all went well and this note finds you in good spirits.
 
Hi @1hipwonder
Just wondering how your recovery is coming along....
At one week out I hope you're seeing improvement.
Wishing you a relaxing evening and a great weekend!

@Waterlady what a great tip on the home made ice packs!!
 
Hi all
I had a bad day yesterday, with a really upset stomach all day and all night. I guess it's the result of all the meds. It was a pretty unpleasant 24hrs and I must admit it made me really miserable - a few tears were shed; many swear words were uttered! Looking on the bright side though, all those trips to the bathroom have made me a lot quicker at walking on crutches! :heehee:

Today, my stomach's feeling better and I'm starting to get my sense of perspective back a bit after total sense of humour failure last night. My hip is not too painful at the moment and the swelling in my leg has reduced a bit. I've got some nice bruising coming on, though!

@Waterlady - that's a good idea on the ice packs.
 
Hi @1hipwonder
Sorry to hear you were under the weather, especially feeling bad enough to shed tears.
I guess if your walking improved over this little detour.......all wasn't in vain.
I'm glad to hear your feeling better and hopefully you will have a relaxing, restful weekend.
Take care....keep in touch.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom