Guest viewing is limited

THR Pre-surgery quarantine?

A spinal is quite different to an epidural I think, both in which section of the spine it‘s injected into, and how it’s actually done. The process for mine was this. I walked into the operating theatre, sat on the edge of the bed. Anaesthetist first put a cannula in my hand, so they would be able to sedate me and give me anything else I needed. One assistant then held my hips steady from the front and another held me steady from behind. Short scratch as they put some local anaesthetic on my spine just below the waist. Then I could feel a bit of pushing as the needle and anaesthetic was put in. Maybe 10 seconds and the needle was back out. Legs became warm and heavy. They helped me get onto my side (posterior surgery), got me comfortable, topped up the sedative a bit and off they went. I kept a level of consciousness on and off, heard banging, could tell they were moving me about, but it was almost as if it was happening to someone else. One great thing is as soon as they are done they stop the sedation and you are instantly alert, feel ok, no nausea or headache.
 
@Coddfish you’re selling me a lot more on this because of the sedation. My epidural was the same process as you listed, but there definitely was no sedation. I was wide awake, they placed me supine and THEN gave me a general anesthetic.
The sedation sounds quite lovely, especially if you don’t have any grogginess when it’s done. Something I’m not a fan of with the generals.

Thank you so much for all the details mate!
 
Hi @PolarIce just wanted to wish you all the best with your upcoming operation.
Hopefully in a few days you will be on the road to recovery and pain free.

Take care and good luck.
 
Hi @PolarIce just wanted to wish you all the best with your upcoming operation.
Hopefully in a few days you will be on the road to recovery and pain free.
Take care and good luck.
Thank you so much mate! I appreciate all the well wishes! I will take every single one I received with me tomorrow! :bow:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom