Pre-op done - getting ready questions

I bought the large size flexi cold off Amazon @Lucia631. They seem pretty good (used them a few times). I like the size because they cover a large area for me. Got 2 two packs (four total ice packs). Want to make sure I always have one ready.:heehee:
 
Hi @mydog
Play it by ear with release. I had my op at a surgery center where barring any complications you're released
within 24 hrs. It freaked me out at first thinking about being released to the care of my husband. I felt I wanted the comfort of being close to medical professionals a bit longer, but I left at 24 hrs since all was well. Once I weathered navigating the car and the few steps into the house, It was more relaxing to be back home.

Surgery center gave me my favorite ice pack. It was fabric covered and held two separate ice packs about
10 by 5 inches each. Since there was a small separation in middle I could easily bend it icing both the front and side of my thigh where my incision was (posterior)
I had a several gel ice packs, different shapes and sizes. Wise...if you're like me and forget to put them back in the freezer :hairpulling:
 
At the hospital I was at you usually stay 3 nights, I stayed 2 nights. They release you after they've taken another xray, monitored your vitals, used the toilet, done all of the physio sessions including walking and doing stairs. If the surgery is the first one in the morning and there are no complications I imagine the patient could be out by noon the next day. I hope your surgery goes smooth so you can get home quickly.
 
Hey guys, my son (18years Old) is having a THR next month, we are going for his pre op on Friday, are there any questions I really need to ask? What would you want to know? He is a little worried (not surprised) so feel I need to be prepared on the day. He is a rare case and I think the youngest that this consultant has had to deal with so we are being made to feel he is doing us a favour by preforming the THR! Should we be feeling like this? The last 2 and a half years have been a hell of a rollercoaster ride, feeling quite emotional about it all!

Any response would be greatly received, thanking you in advance x :sad:
 
Hi @Jules2716 (cute dog!)...sorry to hear your lad is having problems at such a young age....one of my children started with ortho probs after an accident, and I know the feeling of helplessness and how unfair it is. Can I suggest you repeat your post under your own thread? More people are likely to see it and offer help and advice, (to start a new thread click back to the Pre-Op forum list of posts, and there's a black box just below the yellow "awareness day" banner)
 
Hi @Jules2716 so sorry to hear your son is having these problems at such a young age I can understand how you feel my eldest daughter now 38 had spondyolethesis at the age of 20 it involved 2 major ops to fuse and plate her spine you just don't want to see your own child going through stuff like this but at that age they seen to bounce back so quickly, she did really well and thankfully continues to, I am sure your son will do really well . I really do not think a surgeon should be making you feel that way about treating your son. I suppose it's the old saying 'what is the difference between God and an orthopaedic surgeon?..... God doesn't think he is an orthopaedic surgeon. ' I think with a good surgeon a degree of arrogance is to be expected. All the best you will find a lot of help and support on this forum to help you and your family through this challenge.
 
So...one more day! I'm as prepared as I can be...just need to do some laundry and clean up around the apartment. My sister is driving down today to spend the night and bring me to the hospital tomorrow. I had COMPLETELY forgot how awful the last week is without being able to take aleve, aspirin, etc....and I didn't even take them a lot. I can barely walk...and really haven't slept much. I'm curious to see how my recovery goes, especially with pain management. Whatever I was given for the last surgery gave me horrible headaches. This summer I got my medical marijuana card and used a vaporizer at night to help me sleep. It made a huge difference! I've been very open with my surgeon and primary physician about my views on medical marijuana and they support me. They are willing to work with me to see if it is an effective post surgery pain reliever in conjunction with more traditional reliefs.

See you on the other side....:flwrysmile:
 
@mydog Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery! Glad you got the recliner, I wasn't going to get one either, but the past 2 weeks I've had to do a lot of elevating and icing and have been so glad that I changed my mind.
 
Good luck @mydog - we'll look forward to seeing you on the other side as a brand new double Hippie!
 
@Lucia631
I bought 2 of these on Amazon, so I’d always have one ready. They don’t sweat and can mold to your hip area. Plus, they stay super cold. 6 weeks Post-op, and I’m still using them! I cannot say this strongly enough: Ice Ic ICE :ice:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Pre-op done - getting ready questions
    CAC6F3B5-75C4-4899-8C0F-1E0A261E369D.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 208
I got some of those for this surgery @pkuznets. I actually bought two of the two packs (so I have 4). Want to make sure I always have one ready to go. Also, since bursa upset in left hip, I can use one on each hip if I need it and have two more ready to go.
 
We'll be thinking of you tomorrow @mydog
Hope you get comfy enough to catch some sleep tonight.
Surgery will soon be in the rear view and you'll be on the bright side!
Post in the Hip Replacement Recovery Area when you're able. We'll be watching for you.
Hugs and best wishes!
 
Yay for bye bye hip pain.:yahoo:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom