TKR Post op swelling and stiffness<<

I agree with your chiropractor and with Josephine.
It's a good idea to stop all your exercises until your IT band settles down.

Oh I'm so please it helped!
Also he said that 3 of the exercises I had previously been doing were definitely not advised in his opinion ie standing on the leg weight bearing. Stair lunges and floor lunges. He said these had more than likely aggravated it
Post op swelling and stiffness<<
Always nice to see one's opinions validated!
Unfortunately I forgot to tell him about the uncomfortable feeling on the lower inside of the thigh but I suspect it’s all connected.
It is indeed!

@Josephine

Thank you for your replies

Can I also ask you if the pain I am getting when I press my upper thigh (not quite the very outside bit) would be from this IT band or would it be where the tourniquet was?

It’s very tender if I push on this area and I can also feel an uncomfortable feeling when standing from sitting and going up and downstairs

Many thanks

Josephine, Celle, sistersinhim

Hi

I don’t know if any of you can tell me why I am now experiencing groin pain ??

I originally thought I had pulled a muscle in my groin when doing leg lifts very early on in my recovery because after a few days of doing the sitting leg lifts I started to feel pain in my groin area on the operated side.

That was several weeks ago now and the pain/ache has continued to this day. However, today I have felt this pain/ache in the other side too!!!

Maybe one or all of you can tell me if this is normal.

Also, I did a post earlier today about thigh tenderness which is bothering me a lot..

I am told I have IT band issue but the thigh tenderness is a little bit out of the IT band ( well I think it is)
It’s sortbof at the side of the thigh but edging towards to front part of the thigh.
It’s tender and feels bruised if I touch it

I will await your replies

Many thanks

I think this is one for Josephine.

By the way, please don't use multiple tags. Choose one of us to tag, but tagging several people makes it difficult for members reading on small devices such as phones, because all they see at first is a list of tags.

Not to mention that all 3 of us will have to take the time to answer the tag.

I had some groin pain after a while, too, and I figured it was par for the course. It’s much better now and I didn’t do anything to address it but wait it out.

@Josephine

Thank you for your replies and illustrations

The thigh pain is within the area inside the dotted yellow lines.
Running down the thigh.
I also have a very very tender part where it indicates knee tendinitis.

The groin pain is in the area in red . Just above the yellow cross
Right in the bit where the leg meets the bottom of the body.
This pain started after I did sitting leg lifts.

@Josephine
Yes I believe it is the IT band
I’m seeing my chiropractor about it at the moment.
It’s particularly painful right st the side of the knee and my thigh feels like it’s bruised when I run my hand down the side with a bit of pressure.

It’s also making it uncomfortable to come down the stairs...... would this also fit with it being the IT band??

My chiropractor has said that massage is really the only thing that will sort this out . He said exercises won’t

Also, I have hurt my groin doing the sitting leg lifts and it’s taking ages to get better.

These exercises I did in the early days (10 weeks) seem to have given me more problems than I neeeded!!!

Many thanks for your help

These exercises I did in the early days (10 weeks) seem to have given me more problems than I neeeded!!!
Which is exactly why Josephine advises not to do them.

Some people can handle them but some people can’t, and they are not the necessity we are led to believe.

@Jockette

Hi
Was your answer in relation to the groin or the coming downstairs bit that I asked about?

@Josephine

Thank you very much for all your help.

Are you able to tell me why I get a bad pain at the back of my knee when I’m trying to get a better bend on it? ( think it’s the tendons)

You shouldn't BE 'trying to get a better bend'. Remember, we've said again and again that you should allow your knee to improve slowly on it's own.

As for why that activity causes pain, you knee is swollen and any attempt to make it bend or straighten is going to hurt ! So don't do it.

@Josephine
Hello Josephine

I went for an ultrasound today at my local hospital as my Gp sent me for the pain at the back of my knee.

As you know, I still have a bit of swelling above the knee cap and it’s very tender.

Well, I am totally shocked!!
The ultrasound has shown that I have a torn quadricep muscle.
The radiographer thinks it’s been caused by the stair lunges and thinks I’ll have to have further imaging.

I am worried now as to if it can be fixed and how?

I stopped all the exercises weeks ago when I first joined this group but by that time I’d already done 8 weeks of exercises.

The radiographer couldn’t find anything at the back of my knee that would be causing pain on bending though.

I am still about an inch swollen and tender on the area above my knee where she said she could see the tear

Many thanks

sorry to hear this. :console2:

Josh1403, Did I read read correctly that you had the entire knee cap replaced? Instead of resurfacing? That is a big deal in itself.

Josh1403, Did I read read correctly that you had the entire knee cap replaced? Instead of resurfacing? That is a big deal in itself.
No. That wouldn't have happened.

@Fastpuls
@Celle

Yes I had a totally new knee cap.
It was too bad to be resurfaced.

I didn’t find this out until my day of discharge.

@Fastpuls - would having had a totally new knee cap make the recovery harder?

@Josephine
Did you see my post about ultrasound results?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dxross
Recent bookmarks