Arthroscopy Post op meniscus surgery

chica

Country
United States United States
I had a severe pain in my left medial knee area. MRI was done and found small meniscus tear.
Surgery was done October 25th, 2019. Was supposed to be simple surgery.

One week after surgery was still on crutches and had same pain in the knee. Felt like each time I went to bend the knee to try and walk I had a piece of glass cutting me.

Went to PT and end of November still could not walk without crutches. Second mri done first week in December and found a closed fracture on the femur and contusion on the tibia. Was told to stay off leg until January 20th.

Went to see surgeon again and he told me to begin therapy again and I should be able to walk. Began therapy the week after and my leg got worse.
Tendon on back of my left leg tightened up and would not allow me to walk at all nor do therapy.

Therapist was worried about a possible blood clot. Called surgeon and he was very upset with me and said there is nothing more I can do for you.

Called another surgeon and went for a second opinion. She sent me for vascular check and sonogram for blood clot.
Results show no blood clot.

I have started PT again a week ago but am still on both crutches.

My left foot began to hurt almost like a sprain on the foot and now it seems my right knee medial is starting to hurt when I try to straighten it (this is my good leg).

I am still going to PT but it is now 4 months post op and I still cannot get off the crutches.
Am having difficulty with pain in my left foot so cannot roll from heel to toe to try and walk and having pain in my right knee medial side.

I have always had good strong legs but this whole thing has been a nightmare. I feel like I will never walk again.

PT does not say much just but are great at helping me to try and get my gait back on my crutches. I just do not know what to do anymore.

Seems like my legs are falling apart from the knee down ever since I had this one pain in my left leg. I seem to pull my tendons or ligaments each time I do the exercises although I do them anyway.

Help. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them??? I just don't know what to do anymore to walk again.

Hi, chica, and Welcome to Bonesmart!

I’m so sorry for all you’ve been through. I don’t have any advice for you at the moment, but we staff are discussing your situation and will get back to you.

In the mean time I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines, to give you an idea of the recovery approach, especially for a joint replacement, that we recommend.

Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi, chica! Welcome to BoneSmart, but I'm sorry to hear about the problems that have brought you here.
I see you live outside of Tucson.....is that where you have seen the orthopedic doctors who have been trying to help you? If you tell me who you've seen, perhaps I can recommend someone different for you to see that will better identify a successful treatment for you. When you respond, please tag me so I see your comments quickly. You do that by typing the "at" sign (@) followed immediately by my username...like this... @Jamie

Hello, Yes I had surgery in October which was supposed to be minor meniscus surgery. It is now february 23rd and I am still unable to walk or put weight on my left leg. I have now begun to have pain in my right leg and it is so frustrating. This is 4 months and I am still on crutches and unable to walk. The surgeon states they have no idea why I am unable to bear the weight. I am at a total loss at this time.

@chica , I have moved your post, above, from the October Feisties surgery list thread, since that is a essentially just for listing who is having surgery around the same time as you are.

Please read Jamie's post, Post [HASH=216]#3,[/HASH] above, and reply to her. She has offered to help you.

Not that this means anything to you situation, but I had a serious meniscus root tear of the medial , and was suggested best course of action was partial knee replacement as opposed to meniscus repair...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom