THR Popping sensation in my hip

I had that with my LTHR. It eventually went away, but it lasted about 10 months!

Thank you so much for your replies, it’s exactly how you describe and I’m glad that it’s only temporary, I find it very uncomfortable and it bothers me when I’m walking. I guess if it’s going to last 10 months I had better get used to it!

Hi Everyone
I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem. I am now 6 weeks post op and I’m finding it really difficult to walk without the painful snapping sensation in my buttock on my operated side. I know I posted before about popping but I think this feels different. It feels like it could be a ligament moving around and it’s quite painful when trying to walk on an incline or uphill. I’m not sure if the snapping is related to the popping under the scar that but it’s driving me crazy as I can’t walk upstairs yet and can’t navigate kerbs without pain. It’s fine at rest and ok if I’m just pottering around the house. I’m really worried that I’ve just swapped one pain for another and I’m never going to get my active life back. I tried to climb one stair today, felt an almighty painful snap/pop in my buttock and hip area then it felt slightly better for a while, as if something had shifted into place. I had pain in my glute for many years before my thr and it was in the same place, the constant nagging pain has gone but now I have this instead. Does anyone have any advice of how I could deal with this or what it might be please?

I didn't have any popping or snapping back there but with my right I had pain back there. Mine was really tough sitting. Walking on any type of uphill or downhill is rough and I had to ease into it with both hips. With my right the muscles at the lower part of my butt at the glutes/hamstrings stayed sore for a long time and I still have one that is weak. Mine wouldn't let me tie my shoes. I could touch my toes easily but if I bent my knee the slightest bit. I couldn't sit and tie my shoe, it felt like there was a rope from my shoulders to my butt that pulled when I bent. That lasted for a while and went away slowly as it healed and I kept trying. That was all different than my other hip so we all feel different things going on in there as we heal, some are common to others and some are unique to that hip.

I think my glute is very weak there, I had pain in that area for many years before the operation so, although the pain is different now, I wonder if it’s all to do with the tightness that was there before. I hope I can get it sorted eventually, I know it’s early days but I don’t seem to be progressing because of it. Will see a chiropractor soon so will see what she says. Thank you for replying, I hope you’re feeling good now

Hey, my 'pop' is near my knee! Mines due to muscle wasting (partly from not being able to use my legs fully maybe) It's totally expected post surgery. Unless you feel any sort of pain, absolutely nothing to worry about imo. Dislocation/loosening etc. is usually accompanied by pretty bad pain. And of course, even pain is very much expected during Recovery! You've legs have been through so much trauma after all :)

I'm sorry you're having pain too. It makes sense, the muscle wasting - I think that's part of my issue too, my glutes and hamstring on that side had atrophied pre-surgery. There is pain but not deep pain, it's either muscle, tendon or scar tissue, I think. The scar is ratcheting every time I move my leg forward, it's also a bit painful but not so much that I have to stop walking. As long as I have a crutch or stick to lean on I can keep going but I was hoping to be further along the road by now. Of course, I have a neighbour who went through this 6 months ago and was out walking 4 hours a day by week 3!! Really doesn't help. I hope your knee popping settles soon and you keep getting stronger every day. :)

I feel great but I still get pains and stiffness on both sides. Some has to do with having a THR and the rest has to do with the date on my drivers license.
Don't compare recoveries too closely and don't even think about someone that was walking 4 hours a day at week 3. Not saying they didn't but that would be in the low percentile of recoveries. just wait, your memory of this will fade and it will all have seemed so easy.

Thank you Eman85 - you are very supportive and positive. I’m so pleased that you feel great, I realise it’s a long road with lots of niggles and worries along the way. I will focus on the long term and stop worrying about every little pain and pop.

:hi: @Jolaw
I hope you’re still hanging in there, exercising patience and taking the healing process all in stride. Give it time, you’ll get there. At only two months post op, you have lots of time for healing in a recovery that can take a full year, even longer for some

It’s a special day...Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Stay in touch and enjoy the rest of the weekend! :)

Hi Layla
Thank you so much . Things have improved slowly but surely. I’m still experiencing the catching/poppping sensation over the lateral thigh and am having to use a crutch to go on longer outside walks due to glute pain but have had some massage therapy and chiropractic adjustments, which have helped enormously. Their opinion is that it is all soft tissue healing and setting, as you said yourself. I will keep you updated at the next anniversary, hopefully my journey will be of help to others.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Time flies and here we are a month later. How are things going for you?
I hope you’re enjoying progress and having a great week so far.
Happy Tuesday! :wave:
@Jolaw

All the best Jolaw , I,m similar time to you (Mar 1 ) and still use my elbow crutch for outside walking , as you may have noticed from some of my posts ,I,m overly keen to get rid and being able to exercise more, but the advice from Bonesmart I.e walking being good enough fo the time being , it’s worked for me so far .

listen me giving out advice hahaha just want to let you knowwe are all in the same boat.

Good luck and trouble free recovery.

Hi Layla and John
Thank you so much for checking in. The popping has gone away finally - hooray! I am now managing to walk for about an hour up and downhill without any aid, which I thought would never happen at one point. I am pretty sure that some massage therapy and a few chiropractic treatments have helped me to progress enormously. I have realised that I am not a very patient person and this journey is certainly testing me. I know that I'm still early in recovery and to be grateful for any progress no matter how slowly it happens My physio has given me some great strengthening exercises, which are easy to do and don't cause me any pain so, John, if you would like me to send you a copy of them please message me your email address and I'll forward them on.
Best wishes to you both.
Joanne

Last edited:
Thanks for asking about the popping sensation, I just had the sensation also and ran to forum hoping I wasn't the only one!!!!!

I was really worried about it and it drove me mad as I could feel it all the time whenever I walked, climbed or descended stairs - it wasn't painful but it was quite unpleasant. I was told that it was crepitus by the surgeon and not to worry it would most probably go by 12 weeks, he was right! I just suddenly stopped noticing it, which is unbelievable as I was quite obsessed by it. I can reassure you that it will go away and it seems to be part of the healing process. Sending you lots of positive, healing thoughts. x

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope the month has been a good one for you.
Enjoy the weekend! :)
@Jolaw

Hi Layla Thank you so much. All is good thanks - lots of walking, pilates and even a wee swim in the sea so very happy :). I hope all is well with you too.
x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
DAISYMOM