PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I would only encourage you to act in the best interest of your health and not from a place of fear.
Even though you said this on someone else’s thread, I will try to take it to heart also. Thanks for saying it!

You're welcome. It was self-talk, too. Finding BoneSmart has helped! Reading the threads and talking to my husband about them has given me courage. I'm looking forward to being on the "other side". :egypdance:

I had a very nice (for me) bowling day today! My average is 105 and today I bowled 139, 104, and 149!!

And this was with my knee having a bad day, and my bowling arm still hurts from when I hauled that 18 pound turkey out of the store freezer the Saturday before Thanksgiving! :happydance:

You go, girl! What a great day you had! Hopefully, you knee has calmed down. Night before last, mine woke me up three times hurting on the medial side. Last night was much better, even after shoveling snow for 1.5 hours! Now, the rest of me....ouch!

My knee is upset because I tried to lay on my side on Saturday. It’s my left knee, and I can manage briefly laying on my left side.

But when I try to lay on my right side, operated leg on top of the other, I can’t. It’s like gravity pulls the implant out of place. It has felt out of place, or the knee out of joint, since.

But when I try to lay on my right side, operated leg on top of the other, I can’t. It’s like gravity pulls the implant out of place.

I find this interesting because, well, much the same feeling happened with both my knees -- early in recovery. At this point, with them fully healed, that's not happening. But early on, the first months, I felt that feeling you describe, of gravity and weight of the leg and maybe dips of the mattress working in ways that caused me to wake up from side-sleeping with a sore knee (and sometimes two).

Position matters in the early days. Our new knees are finicky. You're past early days, though, and position shouldn't be such a factor. As muscles get stronger, and swelling goes away, and the soft tissues that support the knee heal, you should be able to sleep on your side without discomfort.

I'm as convinced as you are that there's something "not right" about your partial. :shrug:

Something is definitely not right.

Common sense tells me it’s loose. I’ll be very surprised to learn that it’s not loose.

My other thing I wonder about, is the implant the wrong size. Maybe my knee was in between the implant sizes and my dr had to make a choice. Maybe he chose the bigger size and that’s not working out well? And I don’t blame him if this is the case, things aren’t perfect and we have to try options. If a wrong size is even a possibility. I don’t know.

When the original surgeon won’t investigate problems, and the second opinion surgeon is not interested, one starts trying to figure things out on their own.

But, like I’ve said before, my whole leg has healed to a point that other than the knee itself, all my other leg issues have resolved. It’s more relaxed than ever, and the bend is good. (unless I’m laying down. I have a very poor bend in that position. I don’t understand why it’s so much better if I’m sitting on a chair.)

It took SO long to get to this point. A good 18 months!!

But the knee joint itself is hardly any better than it was early on. The lower half of my scar is still red at 21 months post op. :bawl:

But when I try to lay on my right side, operated leg on top of the other, I can’t. It’s like gravity pulls the implant out of place. It has felt out of place, or the knee out of joint, since.
This just isn't right. This is another symptom that you need to keep a record of. I've been able to sleep on either side for at least 1.5 years.

It didn’t take this long to right itself the last time I tried laying on my side. And I never fully get into that position because it feels so bad to try. Every now and then I try, to see if it’s any better.

Next time I have an appointment I should lay this way just before I go. Maybe then it will show up in an X-ray.

However, my second opinion never took a new X-ray that day.

When the original surgeon won’t investigate problems, and the second opinion surgeon is not interested, one starts trying to figure things out on their own.
With the way the health care system is we have to be our own advocates. When you tell your new OS about laying on your side and pain ask him to xray it that way. I don't remember mine even feeling like it was moving inside. I can feel some movement if I put my fingers either side of where the stem goes in and push from side to side. Of course, that's probably just my fat moving!

I don’t actually feel something move, when trying to lay on my side, it’s more like a big heavy weight being pulled down towards the bed. Like a bowling ball inside my knee getting off balance.

I do feel something move in the knee at times when I change positions while sitting, or putting my leg up on the ottoman, or pick my leg up to put pants on, or if I turn a certain way while standing or walking. I don’t hear a clunk, I feel a clunk. I can feel something shift if I put lotion on my knee, which has always feels so creepy.

I can't remember even having that heavy weight feeling, just a lot of pain if I tried to lay on my side too early in my recovery. It'll be a good thing to find out what your problems are in that knee of yours.

@traceys Its been a very long 21 months for me. I’ve been so patient (sort of) and hopeful that time was all I needed, but at this point it looks like things are not going to resolve by themselves. I SO don’t want to go through this all over again. :bawl:

It sounds like you're at the totally fed up point! As you should be. You will get to the bottom of the problems when you find a surgeon you feel comfortable with. Like Tracey said, you have an army here!

Now I just need the pain medication system to get straightened out!

“Sure, we’ll gouge your knee out, but we’ll only give you a few days of pain relief”. :bawl:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks