Pain Med Nausea

dmetz

Country
United States United States
Hi all! I have been reading information on this site since October 2016 when i had my left knee replaced. It was very helpful to read all the recoveries. My question is this: I am having my right knee replaced on June 5, 2017 as an outpatient procedure. The last time i went through this the pain meds made me so ill that I had to stop taking them after 5 days. The nausea and vomiting lasted another week after that. They had me on Zofran but it did nothing to relieve the nausea. I was on Norco and Tramadol. At the end my doctor tried phenergan and that did the trick. No more nausea. I am hoping with the phenergan on board this time my nausea will be much better. Is there anything else I can take or do to relieve nausea. I was very fortunate and my knee recovered quickly. I used Josephine's combo of Ibuprofen and Tylenol to deal with the pain. I am excited to do my other knee because I know the outcome will be great! But I do not want the nausea! It nearly broke me. Any advice going in will be greatly appreciated.

Do be sure to tell your surgeon and your anaesthetist before your surgery about the problems you had with nausea, that Zofran didn't help, and what finally did the trick.

It is possible that Phenergan can be prescribed for you from the start - ask for that.
Another possible anti-emetic is a patch you can wear.

I fully sympathise with you about the nausea. It affects me as well and I always have to have Zofran prescribed routinely for me.

Unfortunately, nausea and vomiting are a common side effect of the narcotics, but you do need to take them at first.

It does help a little bit if you eat something, such as a cracker, before you take the narcotics.

Thanks Celle! It's the eating part that I have a hard time with! I can barely sip water without vomiting. I will ask for the patch. Maybe they can send me home with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I had a patch that worked so well for 3-4 days and when it cane off I was miserable. Lucky for me, Zofran worked. But I'm thinking of asking for an extra patch when I get knee #2 done next month. Maybe check into that?

Thanks Jenzoo I will do that! It would awesome not to have to deal with the nausea and vomiting. Then I could just focus on my knee! :)

I found that motion-sickness pills helped me; the kind that you can get a generic for just about anyway. I took those plus the Zofram, along with sips of a protein drink. This combo helped me a lot.

Thanks sistersinhim! I am going try everything being suggested to me this time. :)

Zofran didn't work for me so I had better luck with Emetrol (over the counter for nausea). I really think I was over medicated that first week and the nausea was awful. I also drank ginger tea which soothed my stomach a little. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

It certainly couldn't hurt and one of them just might do the trick!

Thanks everyone! I will try it all. I agree with you mechellec. I felt way over medicated too. It felt like I was taking a pill every hour for something. Lol

I think the patch is called scopolamine. You might want to ask your OS about it pre-op.

Thanks KarriB! :)

Staff don't want to see you suffering with this either, so be sure and discuss it up front and make a plan. I carry and list of meds that I react to with me everywhere. I also can't take any of the heavy duty pain meds without anti-nausea meds.

Thanks Jaycey!

Had my pre-op today. The doctor ordered phenergan and scopolimine patches for the nausea. Hopefully between the two I will be able to get through the days of pain pills. Thanks everyone for your input it's greatly appreciated.

It's wise to be prepared. I'm glad your doc obliged.

Hi all! My anesthesiologist just called about my surgery tomorrow morning. She was telling me about the sedation and nerve block. Then proceeded to tell me I am to have general anesthesia. I told her no! That i,want a short acting spinal as that is what the,PA and I discussed at my pre-op. She said I think you will be fine with the GA because I will give you anti nausea meds. Again I told her no and that she needs to talk to the OS about the spinal. She said she would discuss it with him. Geez! What don't they understand about violently sick from general anesthesia. :(

I am the same way, @dmetz. Even with anti-nausea meds, I would throw up for days afterwards. I wouldn't be able to eat a thing or even drink water. Horrible when you need to take pain meds. I had the sedation this last time, and it was much, much better. Even woke up alert. Insist that you have sedation only. You are the boss and you know your body! Good luck tomorrow. We'll be looking for you on the recovery side!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one thought @dmetz, that may or may not be helpful. Perhaps the combo of Norco and Tramadol added to your misery? Had they tried any other pain meds? For instance, I can't take morphine or Norco due to nausea, but, I can take Oxycodone. I really hope you will have the spinal and sedation as per your request, versus the general anesthesia. Best of luck to you tomorrow and in recovery.

Thanks Pheebs52. I plan on sticking to my guns.[emoji35]

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017