PKR Pain and redness on top of knee cap 5 weeks post PKR

I was doing well till two days ago when I felt increased soreness and twinging in kneecap area. Going up the stairs bothered me and hasn’t before. Now there is a reddish spot that is hot on top of knee. I was on my feet a lot earlier in the week. Could that be the cause? Always worry about infection.
 
@aperture - once again I have had to merge your threads, as I did yesterday.
Did you read what I wrote to you yesterday?

Please don't keep starting new threads. Bookmark this thread so you don't lose it, and keep posting on this one thread.

Every time you start a new thread, you miss the advice you've been given on the old thread.


don't worry that we won't see your new questions because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

You have probably been doing too much and that is why your knee is sore, but you do need to notify your surgeon and let him/her look at your knee. If you can't get hold of your surgeon, see your own doctor.
 
In my early weeks I had various redness, pains on the inside, surface, right and left side of knee, etc. I think the only pain I never experienced or notice was pain at the back of my knee! I noticed pain, burning and stinging sometimes as result of extra activities or a new activity. Sometimes seemingly from me doing nothing at all (like at night when I was sleeping).

These are usually part of the TKR adaptation and healing as you do more and can do more...:happydance:...

I was on my feet a lot earlier in the week. Could that be the cause? Always worry about infection.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope I am writing on the correct thread for update. It will be seven weeks on monday for my PKR. Doing much better than last week. I guess I did too much after my great doctor visit and had a setback and couldn’t do much walking and no PT for the past week. But yesterday I had over a mile walk on a flat trail. I am being much more careful about doing too much. I think the little back and forth movements are harder on my knee than straight walking. I am not going to outpatient therapy due to the lockdown in our area for CoVid virus but I think everyday stuff around the house suffices for stretching etc. I can’t wait to get out in nature when the weather is warmer. I’m interested in seeing how people massage their knee area, as I would like to try that, but don’t want to “wake the beast” again.
 
@aperture I started massaging my knee this morning, I am 7 weeks. Used bio oil but I hate doing it as makes my stomach turnover, silly I know. I believe gentle massaging should help it to do more, wouldn't let my PT do it though, he's not mentioned it yet. Just been for a walk round the block as not been out for a few days felt quite drained. How are you doing with walking, I still have a slight limp . Wish you well xx
 
It sounds like you just got a bit overenthusiastic. You're right to do some gentle movements and then ease back to the walking--just not so far next time. :)
 
@Andypandy
I try to remember heel toe walking. But around the house i mostly fall back on the former limp, pre surgery. I think maybe some of the limping is just from the years of bone on bone pain in my left knee and I need to relearn how to walk. I use a hiking stick or hiking poles when I am walking outside for balance.
 
I’m interested in seeing how people massage their knee area, as I would like to try that, but don’t want to “wake the beast” again.
I started massaging my knee this morning, I am 7 weeks. Used bio oil but I hate doing it as makes my stomach turnover, silly I know. I believe gentle massaging should help it to do more, wouldn't let my PT do it though,
Massaging your knee really isn't necessary. Nature is very good at healing wounds and will do a good job of your knees as well.

Given time, all the lumps and bumps will flatten out and your kneecap and scar will eventually mobilise without any intervention.

Some people find that gentle massage is soothing and it's all right to do that. But do be careful not to use any creams or lotions on your incision until the skin is completely healed, with no open areas or scabs at all. If you put anything on before that, you can run the risk of introducing infection.

The only exception to the "no lotions or creams" advice is the Active Skin Repair (in the moving banner at the top of the page). It contains Hypochlorous solution, which is a naturally occurring molecule that is produced by our bodies’ white blood cells as a way to promote healing. It works against bacteria, fungal infections and viruses.
 
@aperture - I did both knees with a partial on Feb 19. I really appreciate following your recovery as I have had some of the same issues. Especially the twinge of pain about 4 weeks in. Still trying balance doing too much and still getting the MOD that I need to progress. Still feel unsteady without my cane. I have started self massage and find that it has really helped me to free up my knee and especially when I first wake up in the morning. I am using Free-Up massage cream. I am careful to still not get it on my healing incision, but it has been great, especially for the back of my knee when working on my ROM. My Physical Therapist has been great in gently massaging and manipulating my knee cap. that also has helped me in freeing up movement. For me, it feels great.
 
@bikinglynn
Wonder how you are doing after your regression. We sound so similar in frustration and pushing the recovery and then getting punished for that by regressing! I slowly walked a mile on the treadmill yesterday. Even right before my surgery when I was bone on bone I would slug out three miles. So...yesterday I pushed on to two miles, thinking it would be ok.
... Here I sit in bed a day later mad at myself.
 
After that 5th day, things finally improved. I took a walk yesterday, similar to what I was doing before the backset. So far, so good. Before my surgery, I could barely walk to the end of my street and back, so this is a huge improvement.

My doctor cleared me to go back on my Celebrex. I took my first one last night. It takes a little while for it to build up in my system, but I swear I feel better today. I have arthritis in my back, neck, shoulders, feet, etc. and all of those parts have been aching. I'm optimistic that this will help.
 
@aperture and @bikinglynn
You'll notice that I have moved your newest posts to aperture's original recovery thread, to avoid derailing MackyD's recovery thread.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom