THR PA Gal is Totally Flipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news @PA Gal...so pleased your doggy is recovering and that you are too!! Sounds very eventful regarding the electrics and all....that goodness for your handyman!
Glad you got good news at your check up....you've got the right idea to take it easy for the next few days....take care..lChrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Monday was my one-month anniversary! Wow, that went fast. I am doing well, despite the little setback when my dog got sick and the electric was out. I'm back on track with very little pain, Tylenol only for the last few days, and strength and ROM increase every day. The steri-strips are starting to curl up, so I'm looking forward to seeing the incision soon.

Yesterday I was able to make a complete revolution on my recumbent exercise bike, so I will begin to use that on a regular basis in addition to continuing my home PT. Today I was able to go up & down the stairs normally (about 1/2 the staircase). I'm walking unaided around the house & deck (and no limp! I pay close attention to my gait), but still using the cane on uneven ground or when fatigued, and keep it handy for the first few steps after sitting/lying for a while.

I am able to get in & out of the car pretty comfortably now, but after a little practice run in the driveway where I hit the gas instead of the brake, lol :scaredycat:I think I may wait until next week. My leg just doesn't move as well as I would like between the gas & brake. I really don't need to go anywhere and my friends have been really good about picking up the few things I need when they come to visit.

I would like to walk more, but because of the rural road I live on, it is not conducive, so I am stuck with making circuits on my large deck or my large parking area. A little BORING.:bored: I am hoping when my one friend returns from visiting her daughter, she can drive me to the local rail-trail and we'll go for a walk.

I still tire somewhat easily, but every day is an improvement. I would imagine once I increase my walking/driving/running my own errands, the energy levels will go down and the pain levels will go up. But I will just take it slow & steady, rest when I need to, and keep that ice bag & pain meds handy.

And as a nice little bonus - I lost 10 pounds!!! I started being really careful about good nutrition as soon as I got my surgery date (only a month lead time), and have continued those habits in order to heal well. So I'm on my way to the next 10-pound loss. Woohoo!! :happydance:

I am just really thankful to my OS, Dr. Gracia Etienne, to all the staff at OSS Hospital in York, PA, to all my friends for helping and supporting me, to the Bonesmarties for their encouragement, to @Josephine for starting this forum, to my two little doggies for their comfort and companionship, and most of all to the Lord Jesus for looking over me day and night.
 
@PA Gal , so happy to hear you are doing so well! Plus the weight loss! Well done!
 
I would imagine once I increase my walking/driving/running my own errands, the energy levels will go down and the pain levels will go up
Yep! That is a certainty! So don't go hanging out any banners just yet - your 4 week old knee is still a baby and needs lots of TLC. Just refresh yourself on these articles

Activity progression for TKRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
 
Yes, I already had a taste of that ... did some extra housework yesterday, gave the dogs a bath, up & down the basement stairs several times for laundry, swept the deck & walk, walked up the back sloped lot to throw some debris on the compost pile, and cooked a nice dinner .... and boy was I tired and somewhat sore in the evening! Got a good night's sleep and today will be a "take 'er easy" day - ice, extra Tylenol, no housework, leftovers for dinner, and here it is nearly 1 p.m. and I'm still in my jammies. :heehee:
 
Well, mid-July was uneventful and I got back on track with my recovery ... until my well became contaminated and I had to get the water guy out here for bacterial testing, well disinfection, and installing a UV treatment system. I was thankful that he was able to come out the next day, as my incision was not entirely healed (due to a scab pulling off with some of the steri-strips), so I was concerned about bacteria during showering. (I use only bottled water for drinking and cooking anyhow.) So that was another 3-day ordeal, hauling 3-gallon jugs of water around (ouch! on the hip) and another $1000 or so that I don't have.

Then I had to take the dog (the one that just came through the diabetic crisis over July 4 weekend) back to the vet to get spayed, because he said if she goes into heat again, the hormones will throw off her blood glucose and we'll be back to square one in getting her diabetes under control. So she got spayed, had a rough time with the anesthesia and pain control, stopped eating and drinking, which meant I could not give her insulin, and 5 trips back to the vet before everything was back under control. So that was another week of stress, not sleeping, tending to the dog, and a few steps back in my recovery. Then I had several days of the "heebie jeebies" - jitters, restless legs, nerve pain, and insomnia. AAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!

But finally everything settled down, and the past week or so has been great. Recovery's back on track, nutrition is back on track, I am back at the gym, hip is doing well, I'm sleeping pretty well, and I feel that the lost ground has been reclaimed. Yesterday a friend took me to a local Farmer's Market & Flea Market and we walked around for a good hour and a half, with a brief rest in the middle (and an excellent lunch). Although I was REALLY tired when I got home, my hip didn't feel too bad, my back didn't hurt, and a little ice, Tylenol, and a nap had me feeling good enough later in the day to wash my car. Got a good night's sleep with one Tramadol, then went to church today and sat with very little discomfort. Came home, napped a little, gave the dogs a bath and baked some bread, and I feel good. So I am very pleased.

On Wednesday, I have my second follow-up visit (which will be a little over 9 weeks post-op) and will get an X-ray. I am looking forward to seeing my "hardware"!

I haven't gotten to the point where I have totally "forgotten" my hip, but I have had a few moments here & there where I haven't thought about it at all. I take that as a good sign.
 
[Bonesmart.org] PA Gal is Totally Flipping!
@PA Gal, it's amazing how no matter how much of a break we may need, life just goes on presenting challenges--and you certainly have had more than your fair share. It's good to know that you managed them in spite of everything and it's super that recovery is back on track and you're feeling good.

I think you've earned the
[Bonesmart.org] PA Gal is Totally Flipping!
Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@PAgal, you rock! Let us know how appt goes today!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had my 2nd follow-up with the OS today, at 9 weeks post-op. Exam was actually conducted by Dr. Etienne's very able PA, Inayat Moosa. Got my xray - woohoo!! That was exciting to look at. The implant stem is rock-solid in the bone. Everything looks great and is well-aligned with very little leg-length discrepancy. One of the ladies in the xray dept was surprised to hear I was only 9 weeks out - she said she had thought by how well I was walking that I was MUCH further along! The PA was so pleased with my progress that he's going to let me skip the next scheduled follow-up, so I won't go back until December (barring any unforeseen circumstances, of course). I still have some of my original Tramadol Rx left -- my pain has been well-controlled by Tylenol for the most part -- but as I expect pain levels to go up now that I am more active and back at the gym, I did ask for a refill on the Tramadol. I still have "Energy Drain" and was glad to take a nap when I got home, but I expect to feel fine in the morning and will be going to the gym for a light workout and some time on the exercise bike.
 
@PAgal, you are rocking that hip!! Girl, you're my hero!! I can't wait to see my xray. I hope my update is as good as yours!! Way to go !!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement! I've been blessed with a relatively easy recovery. I'm praying for you all as you go along, too!
 
I am SO grateful --

* that I had the surgery during the summer. That made it so much easier for clothing, just T-shirts and flowy summer skirts. No socks to put on & offf (except those blasted TEDS, lol!) No ice or snow or wet leaves to slip on. The hot days made the ice bag feel really good -- can't imagine if I had to shiver my way through January with that ice bag on my leg all the time, brrrr!!

* that I "overdid" it a little in the preparation department. Extra reachers, bed rails, bath grab bar, having a "handicap" commode installed, a platform for my recliner, extra pillows for leg elevation, paper plates ... it made my life so much easier and more comfortable. And some things that I thought I could only use for a few weeks -- like the reachers -- have really come in handy on an ongoing basis!

* that I live in a quiet rural area, so I can get restful sleep at any time of day or night -- very little traffic, no commercial or industrial noises, no school kids shouting or playing under my window. I can look out my window at the foals and their mamas frisking around at the horse farm across the way, or listen to the songbirds and pond frogs, or be lulled to sleep by the swish of my ceiling fan.

* that I am able to work from home. I am retired due to other health problems, but supplement my income by doing some computer work for local businesses. I was able to reduce my workload as my pain increased pre-op, and take several weeks off post-op. Now I am easing back into a schedule that still allows me to rest and get away from the computer as needed.

* that I splurged on a few luxuries. Back before I knew I had arthritis, when my hip/back pain was really bad and I could not keep up with my housework, I finally broke down and splurged on a robot "Roomba" vacuum. I figured if it did a half-job on keeping the floors vacuumed, it would still be a tremendous improvement as I was in such agony, I could no longer push the regular vacuum cleaner around. Well, the Roomba does a FABULOUS job -- such a good job that I followed up by springing for a Braava mopping robot as well. So this afternoon, I worked at the computer while my floors were vacuumed, and took a nap while they were mopped! LOVE IT!

* that I had the opportunity to help my friends in various ways over the years so I don't feel badly about asking for & accepting help from them when I need it.

* that my hip was something that could be fixed. With some other chronic health issues to deal with, it was SUCH a relief to know that the agonizing pain was not going to be my constant companion.

* that I found Bonesmart! Such a great source of helpful information and support! I am so grateful to Josephine for starting this site, and to all the moderators and contributors.
 
God bless you, @PA Gal! You are a wonderful person and a sincere encourager...praying that you continue to be richly blessed of the Good Lord Jesus Christ now and ALWAYS! Warmest regards and prayers! Very sincerely, IMs...
 
I passed my 12-week mark on Monday. Overall, very pleased. I had a rough week where I had severe insomnia and restlessness, with a lot of nerve "zings" up & down my operative leg. I became more diligent with my multi-vitamin and calcium/vitamin D, and added magnesium to the mix. That seemed to calm things down (or maybe I was just so exhausted, my body and mind finally surrendered to sleep). It took several days of sleeping a LOT, day and night, before I finally felt that I caught up with the sleep deficit. I also added a small occasional dose of dipenhydramine (Zzzquil, specifically) before nighttime bed, and that seemed to help. Now I am back on my regular cycle of 6-8 hours of night sleep and 1-2 hours of daytime nap. My days are full of daily household activities, infrequent shopping (still tires me out a lot), gym 2x/week, and other mild exercise/walking. My flexibility is very good -- can easily bend at waist from a standing position and put hands flat on the floor, or cut toenails, or put socks on. Much less problems with lower back pain, neck pain, or headaches, which I believe to be from the improved body alignment/posture from the THR.

I just recently began sleeping for short periods on my operative side, which was my preferred sleeping position. Every week is an advance, even those weeks where SOME days go backwards! Slow and steady. I think the energy drain is still probably the biggest issue for me, which is to be expected with my CFS. But oh what a relief not to have that pain!
 
Heading into my 6th month post-op. What a big difference between the 5th month and the 6th! Months 4 & 5, I was still struggling with sleeping on my side, nerve reconnecting and causing quick little stabby pains or zingy jolts up & down my leg, and extreme fatigue both from exerting my weakened muscles and from lack of sleep. Going into the 6th month, everything just seemed to calm down and smooth out. My energy and strength took an upturn, I'm sleeping on my side (either side) for several hours at a time before I have to turn over. I can *almost* put my shoes & socks on normally. Every week, I can measure some small progress. Most days, I don't even think about the hip unless I accidentally move the "wrong" way too quickly -- or when I get up from a chair. I still have some stiffness/slight limp for a few steps, but once that works out, my gait is smooth and steady. If I have to get down on the floor for something, it is a little tricky getting up, but then again, I'm no spring chicken, either :chuck: . Best of all, not only do I not have that excruciating pre-surgical pain in my right hip, I also no longer have low back pain, neck pain, or pain in my left hip. I go to the gym twice a week, and am able to add a few more reps/weights/variations each time. I've lost about 15 pounds since May. I have my last followup appointment with my Ortho in mid-December. I am SO glad I had the surgery, and so grateful that it all went well.
 
Great update @PA Gal
So glad all going so well.....it's so true that this recovery gets better & better. X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom