Oxinium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy Gardiner

Staff member since February, 23, 2013
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I know this has been discussed on here but I'm wondering if there's any news.

For example: http://www.essexkneesurgery.co.uk/oxinium-knee-replacement.php

If these claims are true, why would any other material now be in use?

If they are not true, what is the downside? (I read about the lawsuits and product recalls, these were apparently for cementless versions only)

Hi Roy. As with all these new products and designs, the claimed improvements are just that, ie "claimed". They have only been in use for 8 years, so we won't know for another 25 years or so if they are a success. We;ll know much earlier if they are a failure. I still remember the Comet's wings falling off when they "improved" the design:wink1:

I'm an admitted cynic with marketing claims like these, better the devil you know IMHO.

The current ones (apart from one famous one!!) have a longer good pedigree, so if I had had an oxinium-based one, I wouldn't be any more confident than I am now.

The downside is the price! They are quite a bit more expensive than a regular knee and their claims haven't been substantiated. Therefore many surgeons are quite happy with the results they get from regular knees.

Just as a 'for instance', what kind of car do you prefer to drive? When you look at the claims made by different manufacturers, don't you often wonder why we don't all drive a Vauxhall or a Ford! Pretty much the same king of thing really.

Dewy, thank you for that link. I am currently writing a book for THR/TKR patients and was looking for such an explanation.
How come when I do a search for such articles they never seem to come up? :scratch:

Hi Jo and Dewy,

If, no must say when I get to have my RTHR it will be Oxinium on Cross Linked Polyethelene... We have researched it extensively, not only with S&N but also imminent OSs from all over the world who have answered our personal emails.

All of whom prefer it, of course! Like anyone else, a surgeon will always pitch for his favourite devices.
As a matter of interest, did you email any surgeons who don't profess to prefer it?

Which is not to say it's not a good item, of course. About average, I'd say. :wink1:

Yes Jo, I communicated with the Professor OS (a Scot, if I remember) who wrote an article in the BMJ about the fact that an Oxinium had fractured within 48 hours of initial surgery and they had to do a revision. He explained the fault was not with the Oxinium, but OS practice. He ended with - "it is a very good choice, providing OS takes care". As it happened he turned out to be the sub speciality supervisor of my OS and gave him a big tick :) saying I would. Be happy and fine with the choice!

Good enough for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin