Guest viewing is limited

THR One week away - Still apprehensive

Sending another hug and more prayers that you find peace with your decision. The waiting really is the worst part. And then once you're post-op patience becomes the hard part. :console2: :thumb:
 
Elf1’s comments are perfect. I totally agree that the waiting is very hard and once it is done, you’ll have to muster up every bit of patience you can find and move on with recovery. Recovery is not something you can rush so it takes patience. Wishing you well.
 
I just stopped by to add my good wishes to the ones already here.. You are going to do fine.. you researched your surgeon and now it's time to get this hip replaced so you can start living your life again.
Elf is correct, the patience muscle will need some exercise, :loll: but soon you will enjoy taking some walks and then you will forget where your cane is. It's all good stuff

I look forward to hearing your experiences on the recovery side, soon.

You got this!
 
Last edited:
Good luck. I spent my final days buying extra soap and laundry detergent and food ... and toothpaste and all of that ... and writing down movies I wanted to watch in recovery while recovering ... books I wanted to read ... These tasks were a great way to occupy my mind.
 
I want to wish you a successful surgery and recovery. Ice, Ice, Ice and do not be afraid to push the pain button when you need to change your ice. Slow and steady movements.

If you have recently had pain medication when you are with PT, I took the advice from Bonesmart, not to walk too far the first days, because you need to remember you need to walk back.

The PT and OT folks watch over you very carefully, and a very attentive aide, will, too, besides the nurse.
 
I am 6 days post op TLHR and can distinctly remember the feelings you describe. My surgery and hospital stay both very positive experiences. I agree with all the sound advice above. I also busied myself as much as possible and cooked a few extra meals and put in the freezer. I suggest you purchase some items for the recovery phase such as ice packs (i have learnt you will absolutely need these) puzzle books, etc., as well as something to spoil yourself with (special tea bags or expensive coffee/chocs) that you can look forward to when you are home and on the mend.
 
Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery with great pain control. I too concentrated on over stocking the house on basics to make sure everything was in place and had extra food put away. As long as I concentrated on getting the house and my recovery area ready the time moved along and kept the nervousness at bay.
 
Hello: I was in your shoes this past summer. I had my right hip done in July and 8 weeks later in September, the left hip. Before my first surgery I was scared to death. My biggest fear was that the surgery wouldn't take and I would be right back to square one. Then, when I came home and was still in pain, my biggest fear was that it would never get better and I would be on a walker for the rest of my life.

I am here to tell you that all your feelings are 100% normal, that you will find oodles of tips, support and encouragement on this site and that it gets better.....100%! As a personal example, I was released from physical therapy on 12/26. I now go to the gym three times a week for 35 minutes each day-15 on an exercise bike, 7 on an arc climber and 13 on a treadmill-and walk on my street the other four days which is about 1/2 mile each day. I have been back to work at full capacity since January 6 and have received positive feedback from everyone about how well I am walking and that my OS did an excellent job.

And I don't plan on stopping. I had to sadly cancel a very much anticipated trip to Nebraska last summer due to my surgeries. Well, Nebraska is back on for this summer-including visiting the Henry Doorly Zoo and walking the Bob Kerrey bridge over the Missouri River from Nebraska into Iowa! I also rescheduled a July bus trip to the Bronx Zoo that had to be scrapped last summer. And I have bigger plans for the spring of 2021.....my husband and I have booked a bucket list cruise to Alaska! I am taking full advantage of the fact that I am alive, I am mobile and by God, I am going to get out there and see things. I want my OS to know that I fully appreciate what he did for me-he got me my life back-and I'm not squandering any of it!

Trust and believe, your life will change after the surgery....all for the positive! I wish you all the best this week and hope you have an excellent recovery. Please start a recovery thread and keep us posted!
 
Sending you best wishes for a successful surgery and a great recovery. the nIght before my operation I could barely sleep and I tried to convince myself that I didn’t need to have it done, that I could cope with the pain and I would be fine. I feared having general anaesthetic, and also the thought of dislocation was terrifying . But the reality was that without the op I would end up not Being able to walk at all. The staff at the hospital were amazing and on waking after the op, the overwhelming sense of relief was just incredible. I felt so so happy. I’m now six weeks post op and yes there have been occasions where I have worried , been scared, had the blues, lazed in bed all day, overdone walking, had scary pain, but......here I am now. No joint pain, walking 6-8000 steps a day easily, driving, sleeping on both sides, running the household, shopping. I’m so looking forward to gardening and a couple of trips to Spain and Italy this year. Before the op, All of these things were very very painful and getting worse by the week.

i found this forum 3 weeks post op when I was feeling scared and depressed. It was a godsend :angel:
have patience in your recovery and don’t push yourself too far or too quickly
you’ll be just fine
:)
 
Hello and Happy Tuesday!
Well, it's finally here. Tomorrow is your big day and it is a big day for you, but just another day at the office for all the medical professionals who will care for you from beginning to end. Through their experitise they'll put your mind at ease making it all feel easy breezy, no big deal. At least that was my experience. They'll keep it lighthearted interjecting some humor and will make you as comfortable as possible. They'll be doing what they were trained to do and what they do best. If you're feeling anxious let them know right away and they'll give you something to take the edge off, I experienced this myself. Just as you do, they want the best possible outcome, always, and will work to that end.

One more sleep and you'll be there. Wishing you comfort and sending up a prayer for your peace of mind. It's gonna be good and you're going to love the result. Can't wait to hear from you on the flip side. :wave:
@scorow
 
Thanks, Layla, and everyone else. Your words have been very helpful in dealing with the anxiety of waiting this last week. I am at peace with it (and it helps that my hip has been hurting more consistently by the day). Don't ever underestimate the value of the time that you take to counsel those of us going through this process.

I know that tonight will likely be a long night, but barring any unforeseen delay (still waiting on the call with the time to report tomorrow), I'll next be starting my recovery thread.

Thank you one and all.
 
Sending you hugs this evening and hope you get a decent nights sleep. Look forward to seeing you on the healing side when you're feeling up to it. Say bye bye to that nasty hip pain! :friends: :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom