Reverse Shoulder Replacement One RSR down, one to go

Before putting anything else on the area near your incision to get rid of the goo that’s left, call the surgeon’s office and ask them what to use. I’m surprised that the alcohol didn’t cut it. But even that is not good to use on a new incision without doctor’s approval.
 
@Jamie The barrier isn't so much on the incision but around it See the attached pic, before I removed the mesh. You can see the crinkly skin around it, the barrier stuff is slightly shiny. I'm not using alcohol on the incision (which looks better now than the pic). The alcohol burns because the skin is already irritated. I'm about to shower and think I will try gently rubbing a little olive oil around the edges first and see if that helps. But, yeah, I will call surgeon's office about it tomorrow.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] One RSR down, one to go
    PXL_20250204_210255245~4.webp
    173.7 KB · Views: 53
The other night, I ended up just taking a shower without putting anything on my incision beforehand. More of the sticky came off from washing and I smoothed on some Aquaphor after, which is soothing. The skin finally feels better today.

The past two nights, I have slept in my bed for the first time since surgery. It's not bad but I haven't slept very well. I wake myself up every time I need to shift position since I can only lay on my back or left side. I have to make sure my surgical shoulder is supported when I turn on my side. I was soooo sleepy yesterday but skipped napping in hopes I would sleep better last night. I did manage another hour so that helped. It's only been four weeks, I know it will get better.

My new insurance is not great. I called to make an appt for PT at a place that I got from the "find care" of my insurance website. Except they don't take my insurance. So I went back in to "find care" and it's completely different than it was before. Only one place shows up for PT in my whole city. I call and they have no openings until mid-March. Well, they did find me an early appt. in 10 days.
 
The joys of new insurance…..so sorry you’re having problems finding therapy. These are the things they never tell you when you’re signing up. I hope you can get the support you need. Shoulders really do benefit from gentle manipulation, so that should be the focus of your therapist and not just a bunch of exercises you could do yourself at home. Be sure and discuss the treatment plan with your therapist when you finally see them.
 
@Twinsanity I definitely have “bidet envy.” Lol. I tried a handheld, rechargeable “bidet” device. It proved too cumbersome to operate one handed. So, I went back to my tried and true flushable moist wipes. They did the trick.

I really liked the nerve block. I’m glad you have pain management options. I didn’t need the “big guns” as much or as long as with my hips but when you need some, you need it. As you get more active, that achy soreness can ramp back up. It would catch me by surprise, sometimes. Blessings for continued good healing. Keep us posted.
Just wanted to comment on the nerve block. They used to do them once you were under but now they do it before and it hurts but it's worth it. Anyway, my right arm was so dead it felt paralyzed, I couldn't move any of it, it was dead. They roll me up to the OR table for me to slide over. This was like my 15th surgery so I know the drill. I put my right arm and leg on the OR table and pushed myself over and instantly face planted into the table lol. My brain said go and my arm said no! I'm planted there on my face with my dead arm hanging between the tables. I was saying my arm is dead pick it up but the table muffled my explanation. I heard someone say that I had the nerve block and they finally picked up my arm and on I went. Lol, I found it pretty dang funny!
 
@Lisako76 I'm glad you saw the humor in it - as I have had occasion to crack up my surgical team I'm LOLing with you!
 
Without humor, not much left to enjoy! Laughter makes everything better!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom