Guest viewing is limited

TKR On the other side

I think you have made the correct decision.
 
There's something to be said for waiting until you can spend quality time with your loved ones and what I am hoping is a lovely landscape. When you do go, be sure to pack ice and stop often. That's for precautions and good measures. In a few months you will be much more able to spend time doing things other than elevating and icing.
 
I am now 11 weeks RTKR. I am recovering well except for ROM. I feel like I have been struggling with bending and while I don't push too hard, I do gentle stretches at home as well as normal daily activities. Two days ago, my PT said I was only at 95 and if I didn't work through it, I would need a MUA. This made me quite upset as I do read Bonesmart threads and am aware of the issues with it. I saw my OS today and he measured my ROM at 110 and said I was doing great! I let the PT know what the OS said and her response was, "Well, people have different ways of measuring ROM". Who do I believe?
 
Believe your OS! Actually just believe yourself and the people here (myself included) who know ROM can improve for many many months after surgery.
 
Believe your OS!

I will not be going to PT next time, I can recover better without them. I was told about the “window”

My ROM is better now at 17 months than it was even at my one year check up.

You are doing fine with your recovery!
 
@Crissiea I also have had different ROM measurements on the same day from my PT and OS. The PT’s are more conservative than the OS. She told me that they measure differently than the OS do. I’m using her results as my guide. Not sure why the difference.

I agree with your decision to postpone the trip. I had BTKR on 7-25-18 and today went to lunch with my mieghbor...after an hour of sitting I started getting antsy. Could only imagine after being in a car.
 
Or you could do what I've done-no one has measured my ROM, and I don't plan on doing so any time soon. I have no clue what the numbers are, but my OS is happy with my progress. Even if he were unhappy, I'd ignore it and let my knee recover at it's own rate and no one else's artificial timeline. Granted, I have days when I am tired of the swelling and wish it would just heal already, but overall I'm okay with where I am, even if sometimes I feel like yelling at my knee and leg. I know it takes a long time to recover and take my life back, but other than the occasional frustrating day I'm happy with where I am so far.
 
Two days ago, my PT said I was only at 95 and if I didn't work through it, I would need a MUA. This made me quite upset as I do read Bonesmart threads and am aware of the issues with it. I saw my OS today and he measured my ROM at 110 and said I was doing great! I let the PT know what the OS said and her response was, "Well, people have different ways of measuring ROM". Who do I believe?
You believe your surgeon and you stop worrying about your ROM.

PT therapists are motivated to get ROM numbers up fast, because it's something tangible they can report to the insurance companies that pay them. It makes them look good. So they worry their patients about ROM and sometimes even threaten them that they'll need a manipulation.

The truth is that there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Here are a couple of examples from people who have had a slow, but steady, improvement in ROM:

This is what Campervan wrote. As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time - 6 years!.
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:​
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
128 – 6 years "
​

And here is an example from bertschb:
I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.
​
 
So, not a huge worry, but one nonetheless. I still have a pronounced limp when I walk. I am at 13 weeks PO and wondering when/if I will walk normally again. I want to end PT, but am wondering if they hold the key to a normal gait or if it really is just a matter of time and use. Will I still be limping a year from now? Also, does anyone else suffer from achilles tendonitis on their operated leg? I know it is contributing a bit to the limp, but is not the whole reason.
 
PTs do not hold any keys and they don’t have magic wands. In my case they over exercised me and caused set backs.

Also keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion (both flex and extension)

it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle,
and Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Next time there will be no PT for me, I will recover better without it and with less pain.

My ROM today at 18 months is better than it was even at 12 months! :happydance:
 
You hold the key to your gait. I had walked with a limp and used a cane for over 20 years before healing from my tkr. I had to concentrate to stop limping. It's hard to break those habits. But, you don't need PT to do that!
 
I walked with a limp until about 18 weeks and still do occasionally at 24 weeks but it continues to get better. My ROM at five weeks was 106; at eight weeks and beyond, it was 85- 90. I didn't measure again until six months, and it was 110. I stopped doing PT and exercise at about 12 weeks when I found it wasn't helping and I decided to try the BS way. No regrets so far and doing much better. Hope you feel better soon.
 
There is a place for PT therapy - but it's not for worrying you about ROM. ROM will come, given time and gentle treatment of your knee.

In my opinion, a PT therapist would be more useful helping with gait - walking normally - especially if you have previously walked with a limp.
 
I am now 4 months out and finally feel like I am turning that proverbial corner. At 3 months, I started back to working with my preschoolers for 30 hrs per week and it wiped me out! Everyday I went home, iced and took a nap. I couldn't do much beyond that. But now, when I get home from school, I ice, nap and get my second wind! The fog is lifting!
I am working on going up the steps with my new knee first (up with the good!) and doing so normally (every other step). I took an 11 hour ride in my car! I do take tramadol and naproxen daily, but mainly to help with the other joints affected by osteoarthritis (left knee and both hips). I am seeing a chiropractor to help with my back pain which I think comes from my overcompensating for my knee, as well as arthritis. When I first got the surgery in June, I was overwhelmed by the amount of advice and anecdotes available. I measured myself against others successes and failures. I couldn't see beyond that moment in time. Big Mistake! Once I let go of those expectations and set my own little goals (shower, stairs, side sleeping, less naps, bending, etc.), I felt more in control. I have stopped PT, do my stretches at home (but not compulsively) and try to do whatever I can by myself. I still have tough days and a long way to go, but I do not regret this surgery and look forward to meeting and exceeding all my future goals. I guess my advice to all those with new knees is to hang in there and let YOUR knee be your guide!
 
That’s a great update!
 
Thanks @Crissiea You are about 5 weeks ahead of me and the issues you were having are the same as I am having at a similar time. Its good to hear things get better. (You know things are going to get better, but its good to hear from someone who has been there!)
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom