Guest viewing is limited

Obese and Feeling Defeated in LA, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this thread!!! I'm 5'5" and now at 290 lbs. When I did my first consult, I was at 320. Luckily I have no other medical issues. I was very lucky with a Dr that was willing to do this THR on my right hip, although they did want me to try to lose weight while I was "thinking it over" in regards to having the surgery done. They also mentioned quality of life. So very glad for you, that you were able to find the right "fit" in a Dr. You'll do great! I think attitude helps a lot. Stay positive and we will both be able to get up and run with the kids after all this! (I have 5 grandgirls!) We will be watching your journey!!
 
so happy that you found a doctor who understands that you need your mobility before any weight loss. I was also lucky to have an OS who never mentioned weight for by knees in 2013 and not now for my hip. I have had good results for my knees and so far the same with the hip. I am looking forward to being able to be more active and bike again this summer once I recover. By the way my BMI is 47 and I have high blood pressure for which I take medication. I am happy you will be able to have great times with your child soon.
 
Good for you for switching insurance and finding the right surgeon. You have proven that this can be done, even in our somewhat convoluted and confusing health care system. I'm so proud of you and know that you're going to do just fine now. Your post made my day!
 
What a great update @xthoney ! I am so glad to read you found a compassionate surgeon. Wow - you are finally on your way. Well done!
 
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I finally got my date, which is April 12th, 2017. I just got cleared by a cardiologist. All is a go. I'm excited!
 
Well done @xthoney ! Be sure the join the April pre-op group. You will have lots of support here.
 
Thanks Jacey and Joe. Just a few days now :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
 
Almost your day @xthoney ! A new life begins post THR. No more nagging hip pain.
 
Wednesday will come fast, happy to hear you found the right OS for you!
Looking forward to seeing your posts in the post op forum!
 
I am using both a cane and rollator. When I bought my first cane, I made sure to buy a pretty one which made it a little easier. But it was also easier to walk. I've had to switch to a rollator and definitely have a love/hate relationship with it. I hate using it, but I can do more and it keeps me perfectly balanced. I have back problems and my right hip isn't the greatest. Both ache when I am using the cane and not when I use the rollator. I tell myself, you can do nothing or use the cane and be in pain, or use the rollator. You can get rollators at Walgreens and other places for a relatively cheap amount.
 
I am using both a cane and rollator. When I bought my first cane, I made sure to buy a pretty one which made it a little easier. But it was also easier to walk. I've had to switch to a rollator and definitely have a love/hate relationship with it. I hate using it, but I can do more and it keeps me perfectly balanced. I have back problems and my right hip isn't the greatest. Both ache when I am using the cane and not when I use the rollator. I tell myself, you can do nothing or use the cane and be in pain, or use the rollator. You can get rollators at Walgreens and other places for a relatively cheap amount.
Thanks so much for the encouragement. A lot has happened since I originally posted this. I started using my cane about 3 months ago and it did help a lot as my mobility continued to decline. I am actually typing this on the eve of my THR surgery. I'm just relaxing right now before I finish packing my bag :)


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
 
Yay! Best of luck! See you on the other side!

Can't wait to get my hip done. Really worried about how it will affect my job search. :-( Timing is not the greatest but we don't get to chose that. I am sure you are so ready to start working out! I sure am. I'm skinny where I don't want to be and flabby and overweight in the other places. I look at myself and think "I know I can do something about that" but its a lot harder with hip pain then knees! Its LITERALLY a pain in the but! (Among other places. Plus I somehow managed to partially tear my hamstring off the bone.)
 
Yay! Best of luck! See you on the other side!

Can't wait to get my hip done. Really worried about how it will affect my job search. :-( Timing is not the greatest but we don't get to chose that. I am sure you are so ready to start working out! I sure am. I'm skinny where I don't want to be and flabby and overweight in the other places. I look at myself and think "I know I can do something about that" but its a lot harder with hip pain then knees! Its LITERALLY a pain in the but! (Among other places. Plus I somehow managed to partially tear my hamstring off the bone.)
Oh my! I can't imagine having other pains in addition to the hip. I sure hope you'll be able to get it done soon. Also, best wishes on the job search. I'm sure you'll get the right job at just the right time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom