TKR Now post-op, surgery on Feb 25, 2020 USA

My surgeon doesn't allow any formal PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house. The walking is our exercise and we increase it a little each week.

After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home each day.

His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

After my last TKR, I didn't go to PT at all. I did the occasional heel slide now and then (when I remembered, which wasn't very often). Both my knees are strong and reliable. They have full extension and they bend to somewhere between 125 and 130 degrees.

My surgeon isn't interested in the exact numbers, because he says that function is more important. He doesn't measure, but says "Show me what you can do."
 
Hello Bonesmarties! Greetings from Boston, MA, USA. I am at 13 weeks post op, and I feel I am doing quite well, with the usual ups and downs. Thanks to this wonderful forum, which I have been reading if not posting, I have come to accept all the quirks, discomforts, ups and downs of this process. On the one hand, I have been on 2 mile hikes with walking poles, rolling terrain, and done just fine. Yet, the next day or two my knee is not happy. I guess the replacement device is working, but the soft tissue is not happy. So, I go back to rest, ice, elevation, etc. My flexion is at 130, my extension is at 8 degrees, and i am hoping that will come with time. I have only a few more weeks of PT, down to 1 time a week. I saw my surgeon yesterday, 12 week appt, and he says my device is straight and plumb, looks great, my legs are the same length, and I will see him in a year. Now, I just have to continue to be myself, and live my life, and work out gently, and wait for the full year to pass. I canot tell you how helpful this forum is--you relieve my anxiety, sadness, fear, and more, and build my hope and courage. This process is not for sissies, and what I have learned is to trust my body, and to trust in God that this will work out, it will come together, and allow it to take time and heal. hugs to all of you!
 
As you've figured out, those 2 mile walks are a bit much for you at this stage. Obviously you do need to ice, rest and elevate when you come home and it's hurting. But you also need to scale back the difficulty and/or length of the walks for a few weeks and then gradually add distance. Your knee is strong and good. It's the soft tissues that have to build up strength and stamina to do walks like this. You're still recovering at 3 months out and it is possible to overdo things. This is only temporary. You can do it. Just keep listening to your body and when it says "ouch," slow down a bit more.
 
Hi Everyone--@Jamie, thank you for your reply to my summary. I appreciate your help. It is hard to slow done sometimes. Family and friends forget that I have a new baby knee, and I get tired of reminding them. Sometimes I bring a cane or a pole and tell them it is "just in case" as that is a reminder. Anyway, now I am living with the tight band feeling, as well as pain on the outside of the left knee. From what I read on here, this is normal andtypical, but it is uncomfortable and unpleasant. I guess all I can do is wait it out. Any other suggestions? Tylenol is not really helping for these feelings...
 
@TrixieRuby...I can so relate to you. At almost 12 weeks post op, there are days when my new knee behaves nicely, and then there are days like today. After running errands and spending a total of three hours in my car, my knee was screaming at me....tight band feeling, stiff, and sore. It does get frustrating. My sister was with me, and she said “are you sure it’s normal to have such discomfort almost 3 months after surgery?” If you haven’t been through it, I really don’t think it’s possible to understand. That’s why I appreciate this forum so much. When I read the experiences of others, I know that my recovery is on a normal path. Slow....but normal. Best wishes to you!
 
These feelings are very normal. It is difficult for many to understand that 3 months out is still what we consider the early stages of recovery. Sometimes you can help that tight band feeling with some turns (5 minutes or less with no resistance) on an exercise bike. But probably the best thing if it occurs after being on your feet or exercise is just to rest, ice and elevate your leg. Sometimes Tylenol will help; other times it doesn't. If the pain is bad enough and you have some Tramadol left over from a post op prescription, you could take one and see if that helps. But.....mostly it just takes time. The old tight band can be with you off and on for 6 months or more. Everyone is different with this.
 
Thanks, @Jamie for your reply. I still have some tramadol, so I can take that, and I am going back to a schedule with ibuprofen--that should help. And slow down. and ice. It is odd that the soreness was better, and now it it worse, with aching, the tight band feeling, more difficulty with stairs than before. It is a slow, confusing process, and get discouraging, especially now that it is summer and I want to do more. hugs all around.
 
No one every claimed recovery was linear. You will see lots of odd aches and pains as well as ups and downs with your progress. It's why we recommend that people try to measure where they are in recovery in terms of weeks and months....like what can you do this week that wasn't so good last week. Hang in there!
 
Hi Everyone! Long time (sort of) no post. I enjoy coming back here and reading the posters and the replies. We are on a long journey together... so, I am doing well, I am 4 months post op, and have weathered the covid crisis as part of my recovery. My legs are stronger, and I am going up and down stairs with a bit of discomfort, and working on strength, flexibility, and movement every day. I am having sharp pains now and then on the outside of my knee, particularly if I accidently twist or flex it in some lateral manner. Recently I got up off the floor, and used it somehow in a wrong manner, and had acute sharp pain. Also, I recently did some yoga moves--carefully and slowly--and as I stepped through with my leg/knee to get it forward, I felt the same pain. what is this? Is something tight and getting stretched? Is it a nerve that is stuck and is reacting? I am a bit scared, and wondering what is going on. Thanks for any help you can give!
 
It's not unusual to feel pain when your knee is torqued moved in a twisting motion. You're still relatively early in your recovery.
 
Hello friends and knee warriors! I am now 5 1/2 months post surgery, and doing quite well. I am swimming, hiking, biking, and gardening, and trying to find my way so as to not do too much, and end up sore and stiff and swollen. @Jamie and @sistersinhim I was wondering if you might answer a few questions. My knee is almost always warm, and sometimes hot, to the touch. It doesn't necessarily hurt, but is that ok? Should I be icing? I am not taking any medications now, maybe tylenol now and then, but ??? I find the elastic brace soothing sometimes, and I still need to stretch out the back side of my leg everyday as it does tighten up. Thanks for any comments!
 
My knee is almost always warm, and sometimes hot, to the touch. It doesn't necessarily hurt, but is that ok? Should I be icing?
Your knee is still healing, so warmth and sometimes even more heat is to be expected. Healing tissues throw off heat. As long as your knee isn't really hot, swollen, and extra painful, I don't think it's anything to worry about. As long as you are having any kind of discomfort it is a good idea to ice. It doesn't cause any harm and does a lot of good.
 
Finding the right activity level can be challenging. What you did one day with no problem, you do the next day and your knee lets you know.
Suggest you start with doing half of what you have been doing and see how it goes. You can increase or decrease your activity depending on how your knee reacts.
Keep icing and elevating after activity wether you feel you need to or not. Your knee will thank you.
 
I agree completely with the above suggestions. Congratulations on doing so well. I know you're eager to get totally back to normal, but it is good to still be a little patient and add activity gradually. You know even a natural knee can hurt or be a little warm from over activity. Everything you're experiencing is just a normal part of the healing and recovery processes.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom