• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Now it's my hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJW

On June 8, 2008, I had both of my knees replaced. I did great and my new knees gave me my life back. About a year ago, I began having pain in my hips, especially the right hip. About 8 months ago, the right hip began getting worse. By February, I had days where I could barely walk. The groin pain is so bad, I have lost much of my range of motion. Some nights my hip pain keeps me awake. Mornings are really bad when I first get up. I have totally abandoned my workouts at the gym! My right knee has now begun to hurt, I assume because of the way I am walking. I went back to my old orthopedic practice and the doctor said the x-ray shows some pretty severe arthritis. His statement was, "you will eventually have to have it replaced." He wanted to try a cortizone injection first. The injection maybe helped for a week or two. My internist (who has taken care of me for over 20 years) referred me to a surgeon in Dallas who does the surgery on a Hana table. Supposed to be less invasive; faster recovery. I have done lots of reading about hip replacement. I've heard lots of accounts of failure of some artificial joints. I really need some guidance on what questions I need to ask when I see this surgeon on the 13th. Suggestions please.

Oh, I'm so sorry!! I swear, we are just like cars, as soon as one thing goes ka-poot and you get it fixed, it's something else!! I can imagine how frustrated you must feel. Remember, there's a hip replacement section of this board too, have you posted the question there? Here's hoping you get answers soon, hang in there ((Hugs))

I am seeing a surgeon on the 13th to see about my hip. Other doctor tried an injection but it didn't last long. My internist referred me to this doctor in Dallas who uses the Hana table for a minimally invasive replacement. I've read about it but I was wondering if anyone has had this type of procedure done.

We've had lots of BoneSmarties who have had the anterior approach, which is what you are describing. Please read this article in our Library and you can learn about the various approaches to hip replacement.

You don't need to worry about the problem hip replacements as they're not using them anymore. However, the lawyers are still banging on about them trying to stir up the last few folk who haven't joined the suing free-for-all!

As for the anterior approach, it's a bit of a mixed blessing. Patients love it because it is, as you say, faster to recover from and not quite so much pain. But that doesn't mean to say it's pain-free. No surgery can be that as I am sure you know. On the other hand there are some murmurings in the orthopaedic fraternity that any MIS surgery can give problems with placement and the success of a hip replacement is largely down to pin point accuracy of placement. But it's about as good as any other approach once you've got past that issue.

As for questions you need to ask, here's the thing you need, hope it helps Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis

I gotta tell ya, if you've already had knee replacements, the hip will be a breeze. I've watched both my father
and my father in law recovery from knees, and my hip replacement was nothing compared to what they went
through. Don't be too scared, you are already a pro. :) you will have restrictions on bending and stuff for a while
but I really feel you are one tough lady and this new hip that will be a godsend and let you get back to life
fast and without the horrible pain you are going through...no matter which approach they take.
good luck to you, keep up on the posting so we can be there for you.
Pam

They make much of the Hana table but to be honest, we used a much simpler version back in the 50s and 60s when I worked with the surgeon who started off hip replacements! But if you are interested, the Hana just allows the surgeon to use the table to do what surgeons do all the time, with or without it. So the leg is moved by turning the levers at the end of the extensions instead of by hand! This is what it looks like

Now it's my hip!

Thats just like the contraption my wife puts me on when I don't hand over the channel changer :rolleyes: seeing I was out for the count for both hips It's good to see what kind of equipment they use.

Billy

Ah no, Billy - that's only used for direct anteriors and there are an awful lot of surgeons who do DAAs without the benefit of such high falutin equipment! :wink:

All I know is that my hubby had a DAA done by a guy who is the recognized expert at them in our area--DAAs are all he does and he has literally done thousands. John's was done in January and he had a smooth recovery; the pain was controlled with over-the-counter meds because precription pain meds make him nauseous, and he really wasn't in much pain at all (I would have known--he moans when he hurts). He was back to playing in his garage and crawling in the attic in less than 8 weeks (we're remodeling). The worst part was trying to keep him down long enough for some decent healing to take place....he was outside in the garage doing light stuff in two weeks.

In the research John did, there was great discussion about the accuracy as Josephine said; however, there seemed to be a consensus that the more the doctor did, the better he became, so it made sense to find someone who specialiizes in DAA hip replacements versus someone who does them occasionally.

I'm definitely going to go the DAA route, especially since I'll probably have both hips done at once. I'm hoping its true that TKRs are worse than THRs and that recovering from the hip will be easier.

It's always something, isn't it???? I've decided that right now I must be in a patch-patch-patch phase....and I'm hoping that once things are fixed and patched, I'll have several years of clear sailing!

Weezy

All I know is that my hubby had a DAA done by a guy who is the recognized expert at them in our area--DAAs are all he does and he has literally done thousands. John's was done in January and he had a smooth recovery; the pain was controlled with over-the-counter meds because precription pain meds make him nauseous, and he really wasn't in much pain at all (I would have known--he moans when he hurts). He was back to playing in his garage and crawling in the attic in less than 8 weeks (we're remodeling). The worst part was trying to keep him down long enough for some decent healing to take place....he was outside in the garage doing light stuff in two weeks.

In the research John did, there was great discussion about the accuracy as Josephine said; however, there seemed to be a consensus that the more the doctor did, the better he became, so it made sense to find someone who specialiizes in DAA hip replacements versus someone who does them occasionally.

I'm definitely going to go the DAA route, especially since I'll probably have both hips done at once. I'm hoping its true that TKRs are worse than THRs and that recovering from the hip will be easier.

It's always something, isn't it???? I've decided that right now I must be in a patch-patch-patch phase....and I'm hoping that once things are fixed and patched, I'll have several years of clear sailing!

Weezy

Thanks for the information. I will know more after seeing the surgeon on Monday. I do know that he has been in orthopedic practice since 1971 and has been doing the DDA since 2007, one of the few in the DFW area. I would think he knows what he is doing. Personally, I am all for using the technology that is available. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Looking forward to hearing how you go on Monday Nancy :) - good luck!

Good luck, Nancy! Can't wait to hear how it all goes and what you think about the surgeon.

Weezy

I had a great appointment with my new surgeon. My poor right hip has no space left in the joint; completely bone on bone. No wonder it hurts! I am scheduled for my surgery on September 6th. My surgeon has done over 700 hip replacements using the Hana table. I have complete confidence in him. I know the anterior approach to this surgery can be done without the special equipment but I am pleased that my surgeon chooses to use it. On August 21st I attend what the hospital calls "The Joint Academy." We do our admin paperwork and pre-op tests. Then we have a class explaining what to expect. We go to the orthopedic floor and take a tour, meeting the staff who will be caring for us after surgery. I'm ready to go; no apprehension on my part. Can't wait to get back to the gym! My elliptical machine misses me!!

That sounds great, Nancy! Congrats! I'm so envious that your scheduled for 9/6....I don't even see the surgeon until 9/10 and with the way I'm hurting, it can't be too soon!!!!

If your DAA recovery is like my husband's, your elliptical machine will have you back before you know it. :yay:

That sounds great, Nancy! Congrats! I'm so envious that your scheduled for 9/6....I don't even see the surgeon until 9/10 and with the way I'm hurting, it can't be too soon!!!!

If your DAA recovery is like my husband's, your elliptical machine will have you back before you know it. :yay:

I am now officially a graduate of the Joint Academy! What a wonderful, proactive approach this hospital has. Of course they explained to us what to expect before, during, and after surgery. The nurse teaching the class also explained in detail, what they expect from us, the patients. Going into this surgery knowing what my responsibilities are helps me feel like I am more in control of the whole procedure. I came home with checklists, do's and don't's, etc. I am ready and hope to go home the morning after surgery. Two more weeks!

That's so great, Nancy! I think it makes a huge difference when we have confidence in the surgeon and know the procedures. I'm so envious that your surgery is so soon!!!!!

Hubby went home the morning after surgery--there's no way they could have kept him longer (he is a cranky patient!). He was really only in bed for a couple of days, then he was up and around the house, taking frequent naps in bed. But even that phase didn't last too long.

I can't wait to hear about your experiences on the "other side" .... you'll probably be well on your way to complete healing by the time I get surgery done--we'll be bionic women between knees and hips!

Good luck Nancy, not long now. I am looking forward to following your recovery journey :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom