TKR Now five months and questioning

At PT today I measured at 90 on bend, but I’m -3 for extension/straightening. Is that about “normal”?
 
Do you mean your extension is +3? -3 means that you are hyper-extending past straight. But, +3 at less than 2 months is fantastic and so is 90! Each knee is unique and your knee is yours and will heal and achieve ROM on its own time schedule. Try not to compare with anyone else.
 
Now that shows how little the PT guy knows, he definitely said minus three, but my leg doesn’t straighten and I can get fingers between it and the table.
 
Yeah, the PT guy got the measurement backward. An extension of 3 at this point is really good. You will get to 0 with time. Extension can take longer to get than flexion because it involves stretching thick, strong tendons.

You're normal for six weeks post-TKR. :loveshwr:
 
You're doing great!
 
Seven weeks today and I’m not hating the surgery as much as I did the last six weeks. I’m walking around our multi-level house without a cane, although I use a regular cane if I’m going to be walking a lot and a quad cane first thing in the morning as I’m coming downstairs from the bedrooms. I’m gaiting somewhat normally on the left, operated on knee, heel toe and am trying to ignore the clicking. Unfortunately my right knee is awful and I can’t gait normally with that but all in all I’m doing well. Getting back to my normal routine around the house, laundry, light cleaning, some cooking. I let the husband carry the full hamper up and down the stairs and have little trouble getting in and out of our vehicles. Thank you all for your support and advice.
 
Yes, definitely let your husband haul the laundry basket around. :thumb:
 
Am I too far out of Surgery to be getting stabbing soft tissue pain? It’s mainly on the inside of my left, operated on knee. And a bit in the knee cap area, but more to the inside again.
 
Am I too far out of Sx to be getting stabbing soft tissue pain?
I assume you mean surgery. You aren't even 2 months out of surgery. That's 1/6 of the way of a year+ healing time for a tkr. You will be having different pains here and there for months yet. As you use your knee more you'll stress new areas that are still inflamed. Healing takes a long time. That's why we say to take it easy on your poor knee!
 
All kinds of new and even weird pains are normal for TKR recovery. When your knee was bad before surgery, it caused all kinds of minute adjustments in the knee joint and also the rest of your leg and skeleton/muscles. With the TKR, that all changed in one hour! Now the muscles and tendons and bursae (little fluid sacs that cushion between tendons and bones) and your nerves/brain/spine (which control your balance and reflexes and just plain govern how you move) are all learning how to make this new joint work.

So yeah, as you move more there are more chances for something to yelp or protest or remind you that it is healing still. Most pains or hiccups resolve with a little more time.
 
I talked to the PA at my OS office about stopping PT at the place I’ve been going, telling her the knee felt worse after, stiff, sore, etc. she said yes, I could stop but have to do exercises at home like standing against a wall and straightening the operated on knee and the heel slides, etc. I’m thrilled! I hated PT.
 
Go you! All you had to do was ask. :yes!: It’s liberating to have all that time back and be in charge of your own rehab.
 
Good for sticking up for yourself! Now, your knee will be completely in charge! If it hurts when you do it or that night or next day, then don't do it again for a few weeks. You will have a much better and less painful recovery if you obey your knee!
 
I’m feeling MUCH better at 9 weeks and would not have been able to get through without this amazing forum and the incredible support here. I feel like the left leg is longer than the right, but my OS warmed me about this so I’m not freaked. NOW the issue becomes when to have the right knee done because it’s gotten really bad since my LTKR b cause I’ve been depending on it more than normal . I’m thinking toward the end of this year. Thoughts?
 
Nine weeks is sooooo much better than that first week, isn't it? :happydance: It's great to feel you have a working knee instead of just one big wound where your knee should be.

Did your OS say your legs would be the same length after the second surgery? I can see that being the case.

Have you talked with your surgeon about the timing of your right knee? End of the year sounds like quite a good time. Just be sure to factor in the holidays!
 
My OS said it would feel as if the operated on leg was longer but it’s only because the replacement knee straightens the leg, as opposed to my poor right knee that is riddled with arthritis and doesn’t straighten all the way.

No, I’ll talk to him at my appointment this month about the other knee.

I’ll tell you Susie, I was feel g so bad the first six weeks, I wasn’t sure I’d make it to nine weeks. It was that bad. But now, yea, I’m doing good. Thanks again for all the advice and support.
 
As far as timing for the next TKR, I started out with both knees equally bad - both bone on bone. I had my LTKR February 19 and I'm having my RTKR next Monday, June 4. I have to say that I'm not looking forward to starting the rehab process all over again, but my right knee is definitely the bad knee now. When I go for my daily walks for rehabbing my LTKR, it's my old right knee that is limiting me to about 1/2 mile. My new knee could keep on going. My ROM in my new knee is 0-120 (maybe better than 120 since I haven't been measured in a couple of weeks) and my leg and knee feel strong enough to be the "work horse" so I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm charging ahead toward it. I do still have stiffness in my new left knee, but pain is very minimal to none.
 
I got a solid “A” from my orthopedic surgeon today at my surgery follow up. He’s very pleased with my ROM and walking and said the X-rays look great. He added that my right knee needs to be replaced next. I told him it would either be in December this year, or early next year. He said that was a solid plan.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom