THR Not a new patient, but need help lots of it

Texaslady

Country
United States United States
Good morning to All
I had my thr last Monday 8/12, everything went well been home for a week now. Only thing is the pain. It has been awhile since I had my other hip replaced memory’s short about how long before I can get around?
The Doctor said when he got in there the cup where the ball fits he said the top of the cup was really bad, he had to adjust the lengthen my leg. My husband could not recall if it was to shorten or lengthened.
Any I guess things are about normal, sleeping between sofa and bed as usual.
Thanks for all your support :ice::flwrysmile:

Welcome to Recovery again! :welome: Thanks for joining us.
Read the Activity Progression for THR in the Recovery Guidelines below -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
and use it as a rough gauge for activity so you're not tempted to over do it early on. Stop back often, we'd love to follow your healing journey offering support along the way.
Happy Sunday!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Texaslady

Hi there

It takes a while to remember how you felt after first THR.... then it comes back... ouch!!![emoji23]

The first two weeks are the worst...a bit painful & uncomfortable but it eases off... I’m 5 months this out from 2nd THR & it’s fabulous...now.

Take it easy... rest as much as you can... walk a bit... ice... recovery in a nutshell!!

Hoping your pain eases... the support here is fabulous... glad youve found it.

Keep us informed how you are doing xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Layla hope I have done this correctly, after reading your post I realized that I had an original thread for this topic. It was awhile back. It is great to be able to ask questions that sound bad to me, but I know there is no bad questions except for the ones you don’t ask.I have always felt very comfortable on this forum to ask at anytime of day or night. After such of long time between my THR I have forgotten a lot. This why I have reached out to you guys.
This hip was so bad it was affecting my LKR that I had 2 years ago. I had no idea until the Doctor told me :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:and you guys concurred so now I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will be in touch, once again you guys have help more than once.
:loveshwr::roseshwr:

:hi: Hi again,
No worries, you're in the right spot. This is your recovery thread for your Left THR so you're good!
I'm happy to read you feel comfortable here. Stop back often, we'll be here, day or night. Lights never go out. And you're right, all questions are welcome, we're not here to judge but to uplift, support and encourage.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort! :)
@Texaslady

I would like to say good morning to all,
Because I am not,I have not the past couple of days have been awful I just don’t remembering the last one being this painful, I realize it has only been a week today but I have been up two are three times a night in pain and by 4 a.m. I give up and go to the den just so my husband and dogs can get some rest. I keep praying this will get better in the next few days. I am doing everything icing, resting taking medications as prescribed. I even get at least once a hour and walk with my walker for about 5 minutes as suggested. I guess I am just venting at least I hope that is how it comes across and not whinny. After all this is my third joint replacement.
You have been so helpful and I truly am grateful. If this is normal so be it, but I was wondering if having TKR on this being on the leg if it could just make it cause more pain?:bawl: Thank

Good Morning @Texaslady
I'm really sorry you're struggling so and dealing with pain. We often remind members here that no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person, which you now fully realize. It can feel discouraging when your second recovery is more difficult than the first.

I'm wondering if you need your meds adjusted. While some pain / discomfort is to be expected, it sounds like yours may be a bit excessive and need to be better controlled. Please consider calling the office of your OS to speak with someone on his team about possibly adjusting your medication so you can rest more comfortably. That would be my first step. Second, make sure you're icing several times per day for no less than 40-60 minutes, each session. It really does help with pain and swelling. Start there and see where it takes you.
Wishing you brighter days soon!

I am so sorry you are having so much pain. I had a hip replacement in 2017 on my left side which already had a knee replacement and it did not add to the pain. Check with you OS to see if you can get different pain meds maybe. Are you icing for long periods - I iced any time I was reclining which translated to pretty much all the time except for the short walks to bathroom or around the room the first week or two.

Hi @Texaslady I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I can only agree with you that the first 2 weeks are horrendous at least they were for me. I stayed in bed laying on ice packs and popping as many pills as I could. It might be like the others have said that your pain meds are not strong enough or your schedule is leaving you open to breakthrough pain. I hope you can speak to your doc for advice

Tomorrow I have an appointment with OS, I sent him a note thru our medical e mail and when he responded he wanted to see me for xrays. I have not mentioned this but on my left side where I had surgery there is a huge lump about the size of one of those mini watermelons and it seems to be getting bigger, it does not appear to be swelling because I ice myself and elevate my leg to keep swelling and as much pain as possible down.I don’t know if I could have hurt myself or not, we have lamented floors and they are slippery. I went to get out of bed a couple a days ago when I first came home from the hospital and I started to slide my husband came to my aide and was attempting to stop me from sliding which he did to a degree but I slide down and sat flat on the floor but my lower body kinda contorted. I really did not give it much thought so we shall see after xrays tomorrow. I will keep you posted.:censored::banghead::groan:

@Texaslady hope the OS can figure out what the problem is and get you back on the recovery road. Hopefully you didn't do any more than bruise yourself the other day. Let us know what happens after your appointment.
:praying:

Owww!
I hope your appointment goes well and nothing is serious
Did you get hospital socks with rubber soles? They really do seem to help security as falling now isn't good for us
My TKR was achy pre replacement and now is so happy post op
Its on the same side as hip
I hope all is well aligned for you but do ask for better pain control :console2:

Hey Guys
Sorry I didn’t get back to you yesterday after my OS appointment, everything went will no problems with the LHR
the Doctor said it is still bleeding because of the bruises but not to worry, like he said I was not on the proper dose of medicine so he increased that, and only woke up once to take my medicine and went back to sleep. Slept until my dog needed out side. It was time for my medicine and layed on my Sofia and went back to sleep. I feel so much better. You guys are so much help.
Hopefully I am on the road to recovery.:wowspring::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::yes!:

Hi @Texaslady
We haven't heard from you in a couple weeks. Wondering how your recovery is going.
Please leave us an update if you have time? We'd love to hear how you're progressing.
All the best to you!

Sorry for not being in touch! Really no explanation just seems I catch myself sleeping a lot.I guess I am doing a lot better,still I have what seems like a lot of pain,this is the 4 th week since surgery. I don’t know if the knee that this surgery was suppose to help has not been successful. It is still giving me a lot pain and problems.

I am going back to OS on the 24th of this month just a couple of weeks. I am still using my walker when I went in for my first pre op she had me walk without it and with a cane and then tells me to keep using walker until I see my Doctor. Not stable enough, I get up and walk still using ice. I hope all this resolves soon,

Thank you for concern and very sorry for my rudeness, will try to do better.:sleep::shrug:

Hello @Texaslady
Thanks for updating. No apologies necessary. You're in recovery and that should be your first priority
I'm sorry your knee is bothering you. Please remember it's still early days at not even One Month post op.
I'm sure there is still swelling involved and healing to take place. Continue icing all areas of discomfort for
40-60 minutes, no less, several times per day. Please let us know how your appt goes on the 24th and remember we're here if you need us.
A great weekend to you!

Hope someone can answer my questions, it has been 5 weeks since I had my TLHR the surgical pain I guess is pretty much but I am miserable with pain in my back at my hip, in the hip area on the side and groin area it involves all of the thigh down to the knee which is a replacement which I have had problems with for over 2 years this TLHR was suppose to help the knee the OS had to adjust the length of the leg. But here it is going 6 weeks and I am miserable. My first TRHR went without a hitch. So this is a bit of of a surprise and a
aggravation.

I am going to see my OS in a couple of weeks, this will be the second time I have been in for this problem when they took exrays and said everything looked good at that time, it was less than 2 weeks after surgery. But it Is still giving me all kinds of problems. The TLKR has been giving me trouble for over 2 years so my last two replacements have really been a real pain. I guess I have rambled long enough just need to vent, if anyone has been through anything like this please let me know, I realize everyone heals differently . But I have done everything suggested. So this so frustrating.
Thank you so much
Regina :beg::skep:

To all of you out there that had LTKR, it has been over two years since I had my surgery and I have had nothing but pain. I went back to my original OS she said I looked great of course this the same OS that did not believe you really needed pain meds. long story short I actually with to the head of OS department and since this was one of his favorite surgeons so he sent me to pallative care where put me on a pain schedule and visited and call on a regular bases. The knee never got better and she could not justify after 3 months to keep for me in palliative care for treatment. She was great told me to see another OS. Which I did but he was at the same clinic as first OS his diagnosis was it was he fact my left hip was worn and fixing it might help. By this time it was getting worse and going on for 14 months. This new convinced for the hip replacement, it is now 8 weeks after that surgery still no relief, during these last 8 weeks been back to the Doctor 4 times and check ups, still no help still on pain meds that takes the edge off of knee pain. This last time was a week ago when I brought up the knee issue, he informs me that I have all kinds of things wrong with my spine. Refuse to have back surgery. So now will be seeing my PCP 10/6 she what she says. Sorry for the rant,if anyone can relate please le me know.
Thanks Regina☠️☠️
Excuse the typos.

Hi Regina,
I don't have anything to offer, but I'm sorry for your pain. You've been through a lot. I wish you luck with the appointment with your PCP on Monday. Let us know what you hear.
Wishing you comfort and relief.
@Texaslady

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018