Hip Infection No hip

Billblank

Country
United States United States
I have ad 12 operations and 3 THR within 1 year not metal to metal. All failed due to numerous infections and continuous IV antibiotics. No hip joint at this time. Anything new ?

@Billblank Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry you are struggling with infection.

We have several members who are going through the same or have done. I'll tag a couple so they can come and chat with you @Fractured @Mireille @clodaghcov .

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us here.

I'm sorry you've dealt with so much in such a short period of time. Please leave the dates of your surgeries and which hip so it may be applied as your signature.

Depending upon where you are currently, some of the Recovery Guidelines below may apply.
Please stop back often. You will find a lot of support here as you move forward.
A peaceful day to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide to

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Billblank So sorry to hear of the rough time you are in the middle of, as Jacey says there have been a few of us going through this. I myself have no hip at the moment, I have a antibiotic loaded spacer and have had 8 months of daily IV and oral antibiotics, this is my 3rd infection. I have chosen not to have a new hip in a hurry, i am hoping to wait 6-12 months and if i can keep well then maybe we will have another go. I had my first hip over 39 years ago, and had no real infection problems until6-7 years ago, after my first infection i was fine for 6 years then all again. I had anew hip Jan 2018,it dislocated 13 weeks later and at open reduction infection was still found and so the process started again. I think my consultant put it wisely to me---i can reconstruct your pelvis and hip, but, i cant promise you there wont be infection there or in the future. My intention is keep very very well and live for the moment, i cope well on crutches and there are lots of things i intend to do,we will see what the future brings.

Good luck and i shall look forward to reading your story you will have lots of support here.xx

@Billblank Welcome buddy. I know how you feel. Ive had 4 hip replacements and 2 antibiotic spacers on my left hip... 3 picc lines and Im awaiting my 5th hip next month ( 7th surgery ). Today is my last dose of IV antibiotics! Hopefully the wound vac is gone in a week or so. Keep the faith I know its difficult!! Ive been in a wheel chair for 2 months now.

Welcome from me too @Billblank.

I belong to this 'unique' club also obviously not by choice, not bone on bone either but rather due to a fall cleanly breaking my femur in half ... due to picking up yogurt in Aldi and twisting and falling moving away from the chiller!

Like @clodaghcov I have a spacer in place of a hip and like @Fractured have been in a wheelchair for three months. I am still on antibiotics. I also had a knee replacement in the middle of the hip melee ... just for good measure, of course!

Stay with us and we will rally around for support.

@Billblank Welcome! Sorry to hear you're dealing with the dreaded infection. I had a 2 stage revision with my last and 3rd hip done this past July. So far recovery has been a success and I have no complaints. It was a long and difficult road but this forum definitely helps you cope. There's a lot of good people and support. Wishing you the best on your journey! We're here for you!

True strength is holding it together, when everyone else would understand if you fell apart.
You all have more strength to cope with months of hoping there is a end, resolution and healing.
Sending you all healing blessings and that your all given all that you need to sustain you thru to full recovery .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom