TKR Newbie from Perth Western Australia

For example sitting at the table for dinner - hurts and I find I have to sit on the edge of the seat so that my thigh is not on the seat. Could that hammy/quad area be sore from the tourniquet?
I think it's just that it's still too early in recovery to be comfortable sitting on a dining chair.
 
Update: well I saw my GP today for 2wk post op check. Dressing removed and wound look s good . She was happy with how it looked and how I was coping on the medication. A bit later in the day I saw the physio. I was curious to see my ROM - she asked me what I thought my bend was - I replied about 80??? Turns out it was 103. So happy with that. I certainly can feel the stiffness in the knee but I love that it feels strong. Extension was -11degrees. I was so glad that she didn’t push on my knee ‘cause I was ready to say “back away from the knee”!!!! She modified my home exercises a bit so all was good. Yes I was a bit sore afterwards so iced it straight away and panadol and it settled after about an hour. The Dr thinks my thigh pain is related to the spinal block and should settle down over time. I hope that is soon. That’s my second biggest concern. Lack of sleep is my biggest concern! Dr suggested upping medication at night so I get more sleep so that’s tonight’s plan. Down to one crutch inside the house and two outside the house.
Most of my day is still spent lying down with leg elevated.

Back to physio next week so will just monitor physio for a few visits and if it’s too much I’ll stop.
 
103, wow! That is fantastic! I hated the lack of sleep, too. It is a very common complaint. As time goes on, your sleeping will improve.
 
I hope so.
I’ve moved home alone now with my 11yo. Amazing how much more you do when you don’t have someone else doing it for you.

Worn out after popping a load of washing on , having a shower and helping my daughter with a craft project.

I can see how normal daily activities gives the knee a work out !!

Off to ice and elevate now.
 
Try to watch that activity now you're home. It's easy to overdo things.
I hope your daughter is helping you with things around the house. She's old enough to do the things you shouldn't be doing yet.

Just to be sure you're not rushing things, check this article again:
Activity progression for TKRs
 
Those daily activities add up, don’t they? It is important to not do too much at first. Remember you are getting better and better, so will soon get to where you can do more. :)
 
Hi, Nifty! I had surgery just one day after you did, and I saw you replied to my recovery thread. Thank you!

It sounds as though you're doing well for so early in the game. I'm not sure if my swelling gets worse, but it's still uncomfortable to sit for long on a straight chair with my leg down and my knee bent. Keeping my legs elevated is still how I'm spending most of time.

I was a bit concerned about your thigh pain because I've read that can be a symptom of a blood clot, but I'm glad you saw the doctor and he was not concerned about that. --Tricia
 
Five weeks post surgery- wow those weeks zip by. Saw physio again today ROM 109 and extension -2. She only measured them because I was interested. I do hydrotherapy twice a week and love it. Still swollen so still icing and elevating several times a day. I have increased my daily living activities and no longer use crutches in the house but use them outside. I did a little shop today which is a huge achievement. Only got three things but I did it. My mum carried it all but I walked around the shop.
Sleep still not great at all. Hanging out for the magic corner I am going to turn at some stage. Due back to work at 6.5 weeks but will see how I am. I think I might need a bit longer.
On panadol osteo during the day and temgesic at night and sometimes a sleeping tablet as well.

Great to see that I am improving albeit slowly.
 
We normally suggest going back to work at 12 weeks and then slowly at first. Just a couple of hours the first week, then maybe a couple of more the next. The knee will tell you what to do! It maintains control.
 
Well I am now 7 weeks and going to work for 1/2 day tomorrow. Office based so I can manage the sitting and walking etc. my ROM is now 114 and extension still -2. But I feel so much better. I’m driving now which is great although I wouldn’t want to do any long distances. I am off all pain meds in the day. I take Targin at night and amitriptyline (sp?). I’ve had Endone as well for the last 3 nights and I have finally slept and not had restless legs.
I’m still doing home exercises and hydro 2-3 times per week and physio once per week. I’m doing 5 mins on stationary bike (no resistance) 3 times a day 3-4 times a week.

I’ve increased daily living activities slightly as well. I still ice and elevate regularly.

If I can’t manage 1/2 day at work I’ll take another few weeks off but I feel ready. Standing to cook dinner is my worst time- end of the day and prolonged standing.

My surgeon and physio are happy with my progress. Surgeon didn’t measure my ROM just looked at what I could do and how I walked. Focus on getting that extension he said. I go back in 3 months.

Interesting that I didn’t know until this visit that I had a lateral release due to patella tracking and “tight” knee issue. That explains that lateral pain I’ve had. He also said my thigh pain from the tourniquet should settle. I hope so because that makes sitting challenging.

So wish me luck as I face the next stage of recovery!! Will report in soon. :).
 
Interesting that I didn’t know until this visit that I had a lateral release
I didn’t know I’d had that done, either, until I read my operative report that I requested at my one year check up.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Newbie from Perth Western Australia
 
Survived 2 half days. No pain but It’s the most vertical I’ve been so the knee has swollen up quite a bit. Home day and double date with the ice pack and cushions today.
Will try 1/2 day for 3 days next week.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom