THR New THR Right - Hello!

2ndChanceHip

Country
United States United States
Hello Everyone,

One of my dearest friend who had a THR over a year ago did me a favor by sharing this site to me this week. It helped me so much by not feeling lost or lonely with all the questions and emotions that came with this recent traumatic hip surgery I had on Monday, October 12th.
I’ve experienced quite of bit of emotions pre-surgery that I’m just glad the day had come and by the Grace of God, I’ve come through the surgery with little to no pain. When the meds started wearing off from the surgery, just seem like another wave of depression and loneliness hit me. I can’t stand to feel depressed, it’s just not me. I’m usually that one that will keep everybody else encouraged and I have been so thankful to see it come back to me during this time in my life. But, I’ve never been through such a serious surgery with all kinds of side effects other than my c-section I had years ago.
I’ve had to stop taking Gabapentin, the side effects alone was too much for me. This is where I found myself dealing with depression and terrible dreams. Unfortunately, those are two of the possible symptoms of this medication. I’ve also started noticing yesterday my right eye drooping and twitching. I just realized I needed to start educating myself more on all the stuff I’ve been prescribed, it’s a bit overwhelming!
Outside of all that, I’m soooo thankful for a 2nd chance to get my life back and to be able to go walking around my neighborhood, to the parks etc., with my husband and family without limping and being in such horrific pain. I’ve been encouraged by your testimonies and determination to take it one step at a time on this road to recovery.

Hi there!
I had a RTHR on 15 October so we are pretty close together. I am pulling for you and hoping that you will feel better real soon! This is Day 3 for me and it was a real improvement over Day 2; I hope you are experiencing the same daily improvements. Hang in there.

Hi BroncoinVA,
Wow, you sound great for just having your surgery 3 days ago! I'm feeling better this evening after getting some more rest. It's so good to know day 3 is much lighter for you. I do hope for the best for you too as we both hang in there and continue to reach our goal of getting stronger and better.

Hello @2ndChanceHip - and :welome:

I'm sorry you're feeling depressed, but that is very common after this surgery. There's an article about it in the recovery guidelines that I'm going to give you - Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Here are the promised guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery!
Thanks for joining us, we’re happy to have you here. :)
I’m sorry you’re feeling depressed and lonely at times. :console2:

As you‘ve read, feeling blue can go with the territory, but take heart, it’s only temporary. With that said, it’s always wise to know the possible side effects of meds you’re taking.

Something that may help is to keep your mind occupied. It may keep any negative thoughts at bay if you’re occupied mentally. I think it’s important to somewhat plan your days ahead of time. This doesn’t mean physical activity all day long, but what you’ll be doing in your down time which there can be a lot of in early recovery. Reading books, watching a Netflix series, communicating with friends, looking up new recipes, planning your next vacation etc. Here‘s a link to our Social Room where you mind find some interesting threads or games to participate in when / if you’re feeling bored. https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/social-room.11/

Happy Sunday! I hope it’s a good one. I look forward to following your healing journey.
@2ndChanceHip

Hi Celle,
Thank you for the resources, I will definitely it them out!

Hi Layla,

You’re right that I need to find an outlet of something productive to do to keep my mind clear. I have a long 8 weeks at home that I’ll be catching up on some reading I enjoy and following up with some friends and family members I haven’t talk to in a long time. Thanks! :)

2ndChance,

Why would you have eight weeks at home? You should be out walking, driving when ready, getting someone to take you places to walk.

@ForumUser, let me clarify I'm home from my office for 8 weeks, Doctor orders. I'm not allowed to drive or be a passenger until after my post op appt. Nov. 13th then if he feels I'm ready he will release me to do more. I'm in my 2nd week post surgery, and still going through physical therapy. I'm carefully walking around my home and on the patio with the walker until they tell me differently. I'm in no hurry.

Oh, sorry - my doc said to do whatever felt comfortable. I admit I pushed it the first couple of weeks, but after my short time in the overdone it corner, things improved quickly. End of week three out and about.

Dont worry, you’ll feel great soon!

Glad you found bonesmart! It helped me tremendously in my recovery last year. The many virtual friendships from other bonesmarties, and sensible advice from advisors, are priceless. :friends:I too felt very 'emotionally fragile' after my op. :sad: Even though mine was relatively uneventful, it was still such a big thing to have endured... It changed me and I'm much more aware and grateful for all the little things in life. Be kind to yourself. See and talk to positive people. Just want to say you WILL get stronger and stronger but it does take time. Take each day one at a time and you'll have a new better life very soon! :flwrysmile:

I have a long 8 weeks at home that I’ll be catching up on some reading I enjoy and following up with some friends and family members I haven’t talk to in a long time.

Don’t forget that we’re here if you need us. Doesn’t matter if it’s for advice, support, comforting words or a little humor as a diversion. We aim to please! :curtsey:
Hope today is a good one!

@Calgal, I’ve really enjoyed learning so much through this forum. Everyone is so understanding and encouraging. Thank you for the reminder to take one day and one step at a time.

A belated Happy One Month Anniversary!
Stopping by to say :hi: I hope you’re enjoying progress and all went well with your appointment on the 13th. Hopefully you were released to drive again.:driver: So nice to regain that independence.
Have a great week!
@2ndChanceHip

Hi @2ndChanceHip
Welcome to the forum.
The post op blues and "is this normal?" anxieties swept upon me at one month out...and it was definitely a part of the journey that I am glad to have behind me.
Hope things are getting better and better.
All temporary and we'll worth it in the end.:tada:

@Layla, I’m so grateful to be doing well and so much better down the road in my recovery. I have a couple of exceptions, but I’m making it happen.

I’m still trying to overcome the sciatica pain in my low back. Lying on my back constantly just seems to irritate this area. I tried lying down on my non surgery side with the pillow between my legs, but I could only handle that for about 10 minutes before I started feeling a pull in my surgery hip.

My post op surgery appointment went well. He did say I still have some swelling around the incision, but everything on X-ray looked very good. I’m now off the walker and on a walking cane for two weeks. I have another 4 week follow up appointment on December 11th. I can now drive again if I feel up to it. Being home bound for a month was good for me. I needed the rest and the slower pace.

The difficult part for me through my recovery as I told my PT Director is doing the home exercises. After the first two weeks, I no longer had any help during the day and I’m working from home for my job. I just had a hard time remembering to do those basic exercises, because I was already constantly getting up and down, moving about more than I should of been. I couldn’t help it because the way my office was set up. They now got me doing some advanced exercises

And last, I have ulcerative colitis and I’ve had such a flare up after surgery, that it’s not been easy. I’m looking forward to when my body starts to regain some normalcy to it once again!

I’ve shared with so many friends how this forum has encouraged me and helped me with some answers I was trying to find. I appreciate each one you and thank you for you time and feedback.

@Mojo333, Hi! I did notice some loneliness and a little depression hit me after my husband had to go back to work. It was such a blessing to have him home with me my first two weeks of recovery taking care of me. I was not ready to do some things on my own (like trying to fix me something to eat ). To this day, I’ve always appreciated and respected the role of a Caregiver. I had to be a Caregiver for my mother for years and it’s a lot of love and work!

I am doing much better! My mind is clear and I’ve been enjoying this beautiful weather outside lately here in Texas.

Hello and Happy Saturday!
Thanks for the kind sentiment in regard to the forum. It was a blessing to each of us as we recovered. There’s nothing like the support of those who’ve “been there, done that” and really understand the concerns and frustrations of healing from this major surgery.

I’m sorry you continue to struggle with sciatica and an ulcerative colitis flare. I hope both issues ease for you soon. Aside from that, it seems you’re doing well.

I really wouldn’t worry about the PT exercises. Following is the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines to serve as a refresher and hopefully release any pressure or guilt you’re felling in not doing the exercises.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Keep up the good work and enjoy that beautiful Texas weather! :SUNsmile:
@2ndChanceHip

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom