TKR New member

@mature mama Thank you for messaging it’s great to have people to compare notes with - how does your knee feel inside? I feel like mine is inside a vice and can feel everything? Is that all normal?
Sorry I missed your message. I also feel like I have a vice inside my knee but it gets better all the time.

You are doing great with stairs. I hope to try normal stair walk soon but for now. Good foot up and new knee down.

Give your knee a bit more time to heal and you will eventually have exactly what you are looking for.
 
Oh and the inside of my knee is not that tight but I had streched out the ligaments. No cartilage and the bones wearing on the outside of my leg made me knock kneed on that leg. I waited just a bit to long due to Covid and a new job.
 
can go up stairs normally hanging on and yanking myself up but still no chance of coming down.
You're dong very well.

It can take as long as 4 months before many people can go downstairs one foot at a time, so don't feel concerned that you can't do it yet..
 
Welcome Westie5! Would that be West Highland Terriers? We have 2 - great dogs.
I am almost 9 weeks post-op and have been cleared to drive after about 7 weeks, though I haven’t done it yet (guess I’m enjoying being chauffeured about!). I just recently started getting down stairs step over step. Be patient. I have many good days but today I was stiff and kind of discouraged, yet I know tomorrow will likely be better. It’s a roller coaster thing this early in the game.
 
Yes it would be, I have a dear little 5 year old Westie.
It’s great to get your feedback and encouragement...thank you!
I feel every morning at the moment I seem to be starting from scratch again until I get going but hope that’s everyone’s experience.
 
Yep! Mornings are tough for me as well. Both knees are stiff. On April 7th I get the other knee replaced, so here we go all over again. Just taking one day at a time.
 
Hi @Westie5 glad to hear you are progressing. I think we are both suffering from impatience! I’m doing ok with driving, but like you stairs are difficult so please don’t think you’re “behind” I am practising, up isn’t too bad but knee not ready for down yet.

I’m really fed up with the swelling - ROM is improving but at a snails pace! I’m doing some walking and exercise bike (gently, no resistance), and PT 2x per week. The knee itself isn’t painful, but my hamstrings and quads are SCREAMING, they’ve never done so much work, and they are not happy about being woken up!

So we must pat ourselves on the back that we are making progress, even if it’s not at the pace we would like....
 
I'm just over 4months and feeling more confident with going up and down stairs. I don't need to hang on to the rails anymore. Prior to surgery I walked down sideways like a crab clutching the Bannister for my life. Driving started around 8weeks. I didn't try anything strenuous until the tight band feeling went. I was more scared of pain than achieving milestones.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom