Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Left Knee replacement

Thank you Layla so kind knees new to me as well so taking it easy and doing my home exercises, Beachy 2.30 in the morning half wakened and trying to get the battery out before my dog took a heart attack. Got there in the end though.
So I have had a quick look around and either need to get to spec savers I can't see when you can have a bath after having your knee replacement know it's about 8 weeks with a hip is it the same with a knee.

Billy
 
I can't see when you can have a bath after having your knee replacement know it's about 8 weeks with a hip is it the same with a knee.
No bath until you are released by your surgeon. Like your THR incision, your TKR incision needs to be fully healed. When is your follow-up appointment with your surgeon's team?
 
Wish I had got the seat that could go across the bath thought the rim at the back wouldn't hold it but it can, Still doing my icing and my ROM has improved slightly and have read up and the real change doesn't come until 6 weeks plus so will be very patient. Scar starting to look slightly better and taking my paracetomol and asprin.

Billy
 
Thanks for the update @forbesy . I'll be interested to hear your input on TKR versus THR recovery at the 6 week mark. Supposedly knees are a tougher recovery. :shrug:
 
I had a waterproof bandage and was able to take showers as soon as I wanted to.
 
Hi Jockette sounds a fab idea I am standing in the bath and giving myself a quick wash my staples are out so hopefully this won't cause a problem.

Jacey more than pleased to pass on any info done my exercises a couple of times and went out for a wee walk, icing as we speak. In my third week now and If I am honest I feel the knee has been a bit tougher.

Billy
 
Jacey found my outpatient appointment letter and I am due to go on Tues 4th December.

I have also received a letter to make arrangements for physiotherapy and to ask for an MSK outpatient appointment in Midlothian. After reading several blogs about the downside of this would I be better waiting a few weeks as I am only in week 3 of recovery. Your thoughts on this would be fab as it says on the letter I may be under the care of a student physiotherapist ???

Billy
 
It won't do any harm to wait a bit before starting PT therapy.
My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

Remember when you do go to PT that you are in charge. Set your expectations from the outset - no pushing or pulling on the knee, no exercises that cause pain (discomfort is OK) at the time or later, no aggressive therapy.
It's your knee and you're the boss.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Thanks for that Celle that was really helpful and sounds like a plan to me just don't want to go and come back in pain. Like what you say about me being boss may give it another two weeks tomorrow before I give them a call.

Billy
 
@forbesy Yeay I hear you clearly about the difficult sleeping. I was only able to sleep for 1 hr stretches the first 2 weeks flat on my back (I’m naturally a side sleeper) and only with narcotics every 4 hrs. Ugh. Around week 3 I discovered I could put a long pillow between knees and roll to L side with operated leg on top. That lead to longer sleep (2-3 hr stretches) but still needed narcotic before sleep. At 5 weeks I found the pain had greatly decreased and I could roll with pillows over into operated leg side and get very comfortable. At 7 weeks (now) I’m off narcotics. Still take an NSAID before bed ( and an antihistamine really helps too) and I’m finally getting 3 hr stretches and able to get back to sleep faster. Hang in there!! You’ll get there!
 
Hi peaches I have turns about sleeping, drinking tea all day long doesn't help up half the night needing the toilet :heehee: seems to take ages to get a comfy position and when I do find one it's toilet time again. Tried the pillow and at times works ok other times not so good. I am just into week 4 still quite stiff and contemplating Physio as It might help. Do you feel stifness in week 7 or more movement. I realise the admin says it takes time :thumb:
 
I am just into week 4 still quite stiff and contemplating Physio as It might help. Do you feel stifness in week 7 or more movement

I'm at 6 weeks and stiffness is part of life. I counter it by sitting no more than an hour or so, then getting up and walking around.

As for physio, let the great advice of Celle, Jockette, Jaycey, etc. guide your visit and post-visit decisions. Worked for me!
 
Last edited:
Teecup thanks for that and don't want to get to excited there has been a slight improvement with the stifness only slight, as for the physio treatment I am pretty sure I am going to give it a miss or possibly attend around the 8-10 week period will wait to see how I am coping.
What I do need help with if anyone is looking in is yet again I have put the small booklet with all the exercises in a safe place :scratch: could someone post some on here please. I have checked the library and saw the one's your not supposed to do.

Billy
 
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly but it sounds like you might be asking for a daily therapy routine to do? If so, you could look at the ones I put together from what I learned on BoneSmart. Josephine ok'd it for me at 5 weeks.
BoneSmart Library's supine heel slides - twice/day, five reps, hold 15 seconds.
Exercise bike twice/day five minutes/per leg separately (both are full rotation, but right is tighter; will lower seat when it becomes easier).
BoneSmart Library's standing hamstring stretch four times/day, four reps, hold 30 seconds. I do this following the heel slides and the bike.

Left Leg: Seated leg raises twice/day, 10 reps, no weight.
Twenty minutes NMES on both legs' quads once/day.
Walking for five minutes after each exercise set, focusing on good form and trying not to lean on walker handles. Ends up being about 30 minutes of dedicated walking/day.
 
Hi! @forbesy ! I apologize I haven’t been on BoneSmart past few days. I guess part of our recovery is that we start to return to our lives, get busy and slowly find we aren’t being distracted constantly by that screaming knee! I’m now 8 weeks and my knee has started to shut up a little!!
Best to you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@andpeaches - I have moved most of the content of your post, above, into you own recovery thread, which is here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1-month-post-op-weaning-off-pain-medications.50719/page-2

I did that because it was essentially an update on your progress, and was not about forbesy, whose thread this is.
We didn't want people to be responding about your progress in his thread, as it would have derailed his thread and taken it off topic.

@forbesy - you can read how well andpeaches is doing, in her own thread now.
 
Well teecup thats my wife on the way back from shopping with a skate board felt one of the exercises on your vlog was worth trying out, my knee has shown a slight improvement and I am now walking about the house without crutches. Slight more bend on my knee and watched the channel 5 show last night live knee replacement in the theatre. Wife no to happy as she enjoys these things but wanted to switch over to hear what the first minister Nicola Sturgeon had to say.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom