THR New left hip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liddle1

Country
United States United States
Had my new hip installed today via the anterior surgical approach using a spinal for anesthesia. First night in the hospital and have pain well controlled. Doing PT and respiratory exercises with a little stroll down the hall included. One thing I wanted to mention was that after my first trip to the bathroom I started to shake uncontrollably with all my muscles tightening. My deep breathing relaxation techniques helped, but I could not get on top of it for a little bit (scary). Turns out that my increased blood flow and movement helped to release some of anesthetic stored in my tissues. No problems now but I wanted to give a heads up to those of you considering a spinal. Had a great dinner and I have a wonderful view of our local snowy mountains from my hospital bed. For those of you waiting; it's not so bad and thank you all for hints, tips, and references. I feel prepared and empowered!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Cherdonnay they ordered some Valium, but by the time it got here I had managed to get the shaking under control which then helped me relax. I had dinner which relaxed me more. I ended up not taking the sedative and haven't had any issues [emoji1]

@Liddle, Congratulations on your surgery, it all sounds lovely and straightforward (apart from the shaking), perfect! I also had shaking on day 4 post op, on waking the first morning home. Not sure what the cause was at that point down the track, but I related it to my thermostat being upset! I did feel quite cold for a few days, despite it being a warm spring here. Hope recuperation continues smoothly, thinking of you.

@Liddle, Congratulations on your surgery, it all sounds lovely and straightforward (apart from the shaking), perfect! I also had shaking on day 4 post op, on waking the first morning home. Not sure what the cause was at that point down the track, but I related it to my thermostat being upset! I did feel quite cold for a few days, despite it being a warm spring here. Hope recuperation continues smoothly, thinking of you.

Same thing happen to me. The shaking was trouble. Back to normal after 2 hours. They said it was from the anathema other than that the surgery was uneventful. Fast healing to you.

I also had the shaking problem!!! I'm 2 weeks done now and it's gone for the most part, but I was actually prescribed a muscle relaxer that I was taking regularly in the hospital and still have for when I do the "tensing up" thing .... otherwise pain is lessened pretty well over these couple weeks!

Yay! So glad to read you are done and doing well. That is interesting on the shaking, I am glad you were able to get it under control. I had it a few times in the hospital and the first day coming home but thought I was just cold. Get lots of rest!! :)

Had my new hip installed today via the anterior surgical approach using a spinal for anesthesia. First night in the hospital and have pain well controlled. Doing PT and respiratory exercises with a little stroll down the hall included. One thing I wanted to mention was that after my first trip to the bathroom I started to shake uncontrollably with all my muscles tightening. My deep breathing relaxation techniques helped, but I could not get on top of it for a little bit (scary). Turns out that my increased blood flow and movement helped to release some of anesthetic stored in my tissues. No problems now but I wanted to give a heads up to those of you considering a spinal. Had a great dinner and I have a wonderful view of our local snowy mountains from my hospital bed. For those of you waiting; it's not so bad and thank you all for hints, tips, and references. I feel prepared and empowered!

So happy to hear your surgery went well. Mine is tomorrow morning. I have to be at the hospital at 6:30.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart mobile app

It sounds like this SHAKING is a fairly common occurrence. The interesting thing is that I have not seen anyone mention it before today. Thank you because it won't be quite so scary if it happens

@Liddle1, glad your surgery went well. Sorry about the scary shaking. Best wishes for your recovery!

Yay! So glad to read you are done and doing well. That is interesting on the shaking, I am glad you were able to get it under control. I had it a few times in the hospital and the first day coming home but thought I was just cold. Get lots of rest!! :)

Glad to hear you are recovering nicely too Tweetybrd!!! I hope your sore throats goes away quickly!! I have also been constantly cold too.... (and you have trouble sleeping in bed too, huh?) sounds just like me!!!! I slept in bed for the first time last night, and OUCH!!! I went back in my trusty recliner when my hubby got up at 5am and had to take pain pill- it felt like I was back in week 1!!! So yes, I think it will be an ebb and flow situation!

Okay, I'm relaxing at home, pain pretty much controlled, doing my gentle exercises, elevating, and icing but now dealing with major opioid constipation. (Ugh!!)
Had success finally with milk of magnesia, 7-up, prune juice, a couple of cups just hot water, and a positional change on the toilet. (Placed feet on small stool in front of the toilet to raise my legs). Hope this helps someone else. I think I'm going to switch to just taking Tylenol. We'll see how that goes. Spent most of the day dealing with the issue, but now I feel great and about ready to take a nap [emoji42]

That constipation can be miserable! I'm facing the same thing now, hopefully someone has some good suggestions on how to get it moving!

It sounds like this SHAKING is a fairly common occurrence. The interesting thing is that I have not seen anyone mention it before today. Thank you because it won't be quite so scary if it happens
Not sure it's common. I thought I was the only one til @Liddle1's post :) For me, it wasn't violent shaking, and didn't feel scary - more a shivery feeling that increased for no good reason. I found putting on warm clothes did help! Like @Tweetybrd I felt chilly for quite a few day, even though it was spring.

@Liddle1 and @Fullboost - good to get moving again in all respects. I had a 5 day wait, I think lots of water helped in the end, and lots of fruit - oranges. Oh, and a gentle stool softener (Coloxyl) played a big part in the relief, which I started at day 3. Certainly a new experience for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daily stool softener is needed when on meds. It helps but does not solve everything. I have to concentrate on drinking a lot of fluids and also eating enough fruits and vegetables. Fruit especially - I find grapes are tasty and easy to much on constantly. The grapes can also be frozen and munched on frozen and the icy grape seems to stimulate the colon some.

Also don't forget some prunes regularly- sweet actually if you like a sweet taste. I normally like oranges and apples but they do not always taste like normal when recovering. I also had to remind my husband that I need to stay away from other constipation inducing foods that I normally like such as cheese as to not increase my issues. The hospital I was in automatically starts you on daily stool softeners and then if issues Miralax to help with the constipation. Just things I learned the hard way from the knee replacement recovery

Just an update to say all moving appropriately! Ditched the Percocet for Tylenol only and pain still minimal. Using softener and lots of fruits and vegetables. Had my first physical therapy session today to work on balance and strength. Left hip is taking my weight better than before surgery. I find this to be amazing as I'm only 6 days out. Still resting a significant part of each day though. I love the support and information found here. To all of the January Jackpots - keep getting better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back