TKR New knee success !

Marxie

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TLKR 23/01/2024

A success story !

Hello from another person from the UK.
I had my procedure done at a private hospital funded through our brilliant NHS on the 23rd January this year.
I am a 62 year male who unfortunately has suffered from Arthritis since a child but I have never let it get to me despite having to be pensioned off from my work early ( luckily I was in an excellent pension scheme so I get a full 40 year pension ).

I could have had my knees replaced 15 years ago but the consultant physiotherapist said ideally they liked people to be over 60 but he said he could see it needed doing and the decision was mine so I somewhat foolishly decided to wait with my knees with them in the meantime forever increasingly bowing and the bone on bone arthritis grinding into each other causing a lot of constant pain ( so bowed I couldn’t catch a pig in a bowling alley as they say ) but luckily I have a high pain threshold so I was actually able to cope quite well.

I came across this forum whilst recuperating on my sofa and it has been great and sometimes sad to read other peoples journeys but I thought I would like to join and post a success story to give others hope and not be put off about having the surgery.

My surgeon made no bones about it ( if you forgive the pun ) that this was painful major surgery and I would need to be prepared for swelling and bruising to continue for up to a year and even up to two years ,in fact a friend of mine still gets pain, stiffness and swelling twelve and a half years later and my elderly mother has had four operations on her right knee and has been told that if she gets another infection then unfortunately this time it will mean above knee amputation.
So with this in mind I was slightly intrepid about proceeding but the arthritic pain was now so bad it had to be done and besides, I had developed a large Bakers Cyst on the back of the knee.

I had the procedure late afternoon and had a general anaesthetic and spinal anaesthetic and had my operated leg placed in a pump type brace which massaged the leg throughout the night ( I have to admit the noise of it kept me awake).

Next morning the PT team arrived and got me out of bed and made me gently bend my knee both outwards and inwards ( I had good ROM ) and also made me stand which felt really nice.
They said they would come back in the afternoon and get me to walk up and down the corridor and up and down a flight of stairs and all being well I could go home late afternoon, unfortunately my blood pressure dropped quite significantly and all the plans where scuppered and I had to stay in hospital an extra night.
The next day a different PT came in the morning and showed me how to use my crutches and got me walking up and down the corridor, all was good and he said he would come back after lunch
however, a different Physio came after lunch this time a female PT and she again got me walking up and down the corridor and showed me how to turn and showed me how to negotiate up and down the stairs, all was good and I was allowed to go home and got my Step Son to pick me up.

Now I am not going to kid, setting my self down onto our sofa when I got in the house was agony ( it is quite low so extra cushions where the order of the day ) also sitting down on the loo was no picnic ( note..If you are offered a toilet seat extension frame take it I know I will next time ).
Now here comes a minus, I was asked which PT clinic I would like to attend and I chose one in my next town ( 2 miles away ) so they said they would get me booked in.
Two weeks later I went back to have my wound dressing removed and a long stitch snipped at the ends ( btw the wound was very neat and clean and I was told I could shower again but to avoid direct jet onto the scar and to wait three weeks before applying lotions and creams) the Nurse asked me how my physio was going because I was walking very well on one crutch and had excellent ROM and I said I hadn’t heard from the them but was doing all the exercises ( not squats I may add ) from the booklet they gave me, so she said she would chase them up and in the meantime to carry on doing what I was doing because it was obviously working.

Yesterday I had my meeting with my OS just a day short of seven weeks since surgery and he was over the moon with my progress.

I have full ROM and I can walk normally and with no pain and with no aids.

My scar has healed very nicely and the Bakers cyst went when the knee was removed.

I have been driving since last Tuesday with no problems whatsoever ( don’t forget here in the UK most of us drive geared cars..Stick shifts and therefore my left leg is using the clutch pedal all the time ).

I was told I can start riding my motorcycle again although I will probably give it another couple of weeks …Yippee !

I can go up and down stairs no problem and I am back walking my dog twice a day, probably 2 miles each walk and a lot better and quicker than before the op and of course pain free !

I have started getting a good nights sleep and I am sleeping back in our bed.

I no longer require painkillers.

All this was also achieved by doing my own physio because low and behold I have still not heard from the PT department ! ( was told by the Surgeon that I don’t need it anyway because I have already achieved full ROM )

I know that I am probably in a small group of people who have made very quick progress, in-fact the OS said I was at, in six to seven weeks, where most people are in six months so I am very pleased but I still can’t help thinking that this is all going a little too well ( I am the sort of person if I won a cruise in a prize draw it would have been on the Titanic ! ) but I am so glad I got this done and I am now scheduled for my TRKR at my request later this year ( need to get holidays out of the way ) so I should be like a new man.

Yes it was a painful operation and like others on here, at times, I questioned why I ever had it done and yes I also found it very difficult to sleep, in fact I spent nearly six weeks sleeping on our sofa but here I am just seven weeks later and only suffering very mild pain at night when the knee tightens a little but again I was told its just internal fluid that builds up during the day and this hopefully will dissipate over the next few weeks.
In my short recovery period I only really had one very painful day ( Jan 31st ) when I honestly thought I had dislodged something but the next day everything had settled down nicely again but yes I required prescription pain medication for around five weeks.

For anyone contemplating getting it done I would say just do it, here in the UK they perform around a 100 thousand knee replacements every year of which around 10 thousand are problematic ( usually sorted with antibiotics) and out of this around 1 thousand will require revision surgery so overall a very high success rate.

This forum is a wonderful resource and the staff here should be very proud of yourselves I found it very informative.

:welome:

WOW! What a great start you've made on your recovery!!!

My one caveat is that you can't speed up internal healing, so please pace your activity increases and let a complaining knee be your immediate feedback to rest, ice, and elevate.

This might be unnecessary now but I will leave you our Recovery Articles that have helped tens of thousands of other knee replacements, just in case!
We are here to help you through this journey the best we can. The very best thing for your knee right now is to rest, ice, and elevate. Exercises can come later. There is no rush to achieve ROM because it will come naturally as your swelling decreases. Your OS was able to bend your knee while checking for movements during your surgery, so it will be fine. It just takes time.

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps them more. It's your recovery and your choice on how you recover. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello Marxie and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
so bowed I couldn’t catch a pig in a bowling alley as they say
:heehee: That's a new one to me! You are amusing.
I thought I would like to join and post a success story to give others hope and not be put off about having the surgery.
Thank you for this! I looked for posts such as yours to motivate myself to schedule my joint replacement.
All this was also achieved by doing my own physio because low and behold I have still not heard from the PT department
This is wonderful and a testament to the fact it can be done!

Thank you for sharing your journey up to this point and for your kind words in regard to BoneSmart. It is much appreciated! Warmest Wishes as you move forward!

know that I am probably in a small group of people who have made very quick progress, in-fact the OS said I was at, in six to seven weeks,
I want to be you. I will be seven weeks Thursday. Still painful stiff and swollen. Please trade with me. I’m a 60 year old woman. But I do have a good left knee and you will be two years younger. lol. I hope you get my humor. You are very blessed. I am too just at a slower rate. Good luck and thanks for sharing!!!

Ps. I almost think my PT is setting me back ?

know that I am probably in a small group of people who have made very quick progress, in-fact the OS said I was at, in six to seven weeks,
I want to be you. I will be seven weeks Thursday. Still painful stiff and swollen. Please trade with me. I’m a 60 year old woman. But I do have a good left knee and you will be two years younger. lol. I hope you get my humor. You are very blessed. I am too just at a slower rate. Good luck and thanks for sharing!!!

Ps. I almost think my PT is setting me back ?
Don’t worry I get your humour :loll:
I have read some truly disturbing stories on here of over zealous Physio Therapists and I have to say the PT department at the hospital where I had my surgery seemed to be very knowledgeable and on the ball.
It was our NHS PT department that ( it saddens me to say ) were the let down but hey ! Perhaps I dodged a bullet ?
I am sure you will recover just fine but even for me the first three and a half weeks seemed like three and a half months so I feel your concerns but just hang in there and do not let your PT set you back and remember ? I have to have my right knee done too so all could change ( touching wood here ).

Thank you all for the kind replies and apologies for the long winded initial post but I thought it might just help anyone pondering about getting the surgery done.

Last edited:
I’ve talked to my husband, and we’ve decided I will skip my second PT this week. I just don’t feel that I should be getting worse each week. I am doing weight machines and also extending from the knee with a heavy ankle weight on. I think that is maybe too much. Weeks ago I could pop up in the morning with barely any pain. Now I can barely stand down on the knee. My ROM is 0/110 he said it was fine. These people are very very nice. Why is it so hard to say no to nice people? lol.

:hi:Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well. Feel free to update whenever you're in the mood.
We'd love to follow your progress. Have a great weekend!
@Marxie

Yes thank you Layla ,all seems to be going great although I still get some stiffness in the knee in the evening or if I have been standing too long but I still have full ROM.
My knee also clicks all the time and periodically I get a pulsating sharp pain in the outside of the knee which I still occasionally have to take a couple of ibuprofen’s for.
The Surgeon didn’t seem concerned and said it was all part of the internal healing process and would take a few months.
He also said the clicking was absolutely normal and nothing to worry about, but yes overall very pleased.

My left knee, over a year old, still clicks so reliably with each step that I told my ortho team they should have installed a pedometer!

My almost nine month old knee still stiffens with prolonged sitting or standing though not as badly and as it has good function and ROM it's ok with me

My left knee, over a year old, still clicks so reliably with each step that I told my ortho team they should have installed a pedometer!

My almost nine month old knee still stiffens with prolonged sitting or standing though not as badly and as it has good function and ROM it's ok with me
I can walk completely normally , go up and down stairs just fine and like I say, have the max ROM that you can achieve with an artificial knee , however , if I turn or move suddenly then my knee definitely reminds me that its there and that its still recovering Internally.
Whilst it does tighten up and clicks like a metronome I still have full ROM.
I did slip down our stairs a few weeks ago but luckily I completely avoided doing anything to my operated leg and I thank my lucky stars for that one.
At nine months I would say you are on course for the average recovery period so that is very good its just that with me , I have made good and rapid progress but something at the back of my mind keeps saying this is all going a little too well and is ready to pop my bubble ? Lets hope I am wrong :)

Hello and Happy Wednesday, Marxie! :wave:
I hope the last month has been good for you. Please let us know when you have the time,
we'd love to read an update. Enjoy the rest of the week and Happy Three Month Anniversary!
@Marxie

could have had my knees replaced 15 years ago but the consultant physiotherapist said ideally they liked people to be over 60
I couldn't wait and had many doctors insist I do. Finally found a doctor who would operate when I'm 36/37.

sitting down on the loo was no picnic ( note..If you are offered a toilet seat extension frame take it I know I will next time ).
Yes! Yes! Yes! Never thought I'd be happy for this at 36.
Some low toilet, I just fall the last 1-3 inches. And up can be just as difficult. I can now use any toilet, but still prefer the handicap stalls. Makes things so much easier. Don't have to sit there contemplating my plan to stand.

Sorry for the late reply but my youngest brother passed away aged just 58 and I have been dealing with everything.
It really is patience is a virtue journey with my knee , whilst I have made a very good recovery and have full ROM my knee does sometimes get sore and stiffens up and yes I am probably doing too much and expecting too much.
My main problem is at the back of the knee it kind of feels like something is catching and can be very painful if say bending the knee almost like a tendon snapping into place ?
Walking is great though and it’s brilliant to be free of arthritic pain in the joint.
I am sure the little problems I am having are post operative symptoms and maybe after three months I am expecting too much ?
Overall I am very pleased with the outcome and I am sure everything will be good in the end and after all I was told by the OS that it could take up to a year to fully heal.

No apologies necessary, Marxie, we're just happy to hear from you. Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your younger brother. :console2:

I am happy to read that overall you're pleased with your outcome and at only a tad over three months post op, you have many more months to notice improvement in this most often one year long recovery process.
Hang in there! I hope you have a nice weekend.
@Marxie

So sorry for your loss
Congratulations on your recovery, I to had my knee done in private hospital some 4 weeks after you, however iam no where near your recovery, 95 bend and 100 at a push, walking is OK, no crutch, climb stairs very ungainly...reading your story fills me with hope. Keep up the excellent recovery.

So sorry for your loss
Congratulations on your recovery, I to had my knee done in private hospital some 4 weeks after you, however iam no where near your recovery, 95 bend and 100 at a push, walking is OK, no crutch, climb stairs very ungainly...reading your story fills me with hope. Keep up the excellent recovery.
I honestly think that the NHS failing to provide me with a PT was actually a good thing.
I did all my exercises regularly ( minus squats ) from the book they gave me and was walking without crutches after just 4 weeks and back driving smack on six weeks.
I would say I am about 85 - 90% fully recovered but just get these occasional episodes of stiffness and being hot and sore ,this most usually happens in the evening and I have to take ibuprofen to calm the knee down.
I am sure you will be fine as we are all different and I have to have my right knee done yet and it could all be a different ball game , but touch wood everything will be ok and I will be like a new man.
Oh something else I want to add is that the clicking seems to be settling down.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom