THR New hip today! Mercmans road to recovery

Thank you everyone for all your support, it really helps and rest, ice, elevate is the best treatment. Just done a wound check, ok but very bruised and lovely shades of purple, blue and yellow!
 
Hi @mercman
You are right in the fact that these are very early days.
Fatigue goes along with it all as your body works hard to
heal and repair. It's nice to hear your family is doing a great job in caring for you.
It's a blessing! I hope you have a restful day and a great week of recovery!!
 
All of the above @mercman, it takes time and time is a great healer, rest is good and sleep is better, you will feel like the old you soon....minus the pain of course!!
@Lerwick8 hope you are recovering well and gaining a little more energy and confidence in your new 'addition' sending warm wishes :happyfeet:
 
Worst day so far painwise, not from wound area but from bruising which is developing at quite a pace now. Managing it with paracetamol and codeine, but find the nagging pain very distracting.
 
Recovery is a bit of a roller coaster. Just keep that ice going. If you need more pain relief do contact your GP. Still very early days for you.
 
Worst day so far painwise, not from wound area but from bruising which is developing at quite a pace now. Managing it with paracetamol and codeine, but find the nagging pain very distracting.
Sorry to hear @mercman, days like this do happen and it's a little disheartening but keep up the meds, even if you feel a little better, regular pain relief is a must along with rest and as jaycee says keep icing the area. This will pass soon
 
I'd have a word with your doctor as already stated and get something stronger. I'm finding I have more pain now, 3 weeks down the line than I did in the first week. Probably due to being a bit more mobile. If you are worried about taking stronger meds, just take them when you need them, on a night etc..
 
So sorry to hear @mercman
Hang in there.....it will get better.
Take the meds on schedule, ice, elevate and sleep when you can.
Best wishes for a better tomorrow!
 
Hi @mercman
Sounds like your surgery went quite smoothly, I cannot imagine being awake during the surgery! Did you opt for that? pain will have its ups and downs! Sounds like you have a good support group it's onward and upward from here just checking in and saying hi...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Swelling going down this morning and can move around more easily today with very little pain, today is a good day! A lot easier to do my exercises and have found that ice packs and elevation really help. I'm seeing little improvements every day.
 
@mercman - Great to hear you're moving around easier. My RTHR was August 22nd, and became a firm believer and practitioner of icing and elevating after the first time I overdid things. Those little improvements add up. There were a few days that it seemed like the progress so incredibly slow, and now I feel like I've come such a long way from surgery day. Keep up the positive attitude - wishing you a speedy recovery!

PS - I had a spinal and heavy (not general) sedation. I was told that some people wake up and was assured by the anesthesiologist I'd feel nothing. He said if I did wake up, he'd be there and tell me I was dreaming and to go back to sleep. I was told I did wake up briefly - although I have no recollection. :)
 
It has just been a week and yes it really hurts. And looks wicked. Much sympathy.
Be easy as you have been and it will get better all the time.
You are doing super:ice:dooper
 
To be perfectly honest, I'm in a lot less pain than I thought I'd be after just one week and can't believe how far I've come in such a short time. Have a wound check appointment next Thursday at the hospital then first physio session the following day.
 
Glad your improving. I found when I had a bad day I needed to do nothing for the next 24 hours. As agrivating as it is you need to rest. If you keep your PT appointment you will probably be really sore after. I'm glad I never did any PT. OS said I am doing great and it is not necessary for a THR.
 
Last edited:
2 good days n a row, wife and youngest son took me out for breakfast at a local cafe on Saturday morning, so good to get out of the house and managed very well with two waliking sticks. Very little pain just a little aching in the thigh area. Bruising still developing but not giving me any problems and slept well last night.

Family round for Sunday lunch today, so nice to be waited on and looked after as usually it's me doing the cooking and playing mine host. Onwards and upwards!
 
Good nights sleep last night, was really tired and went off to bed at 9 pm. Apart from waking up one for a bathroom visit at 2 am, I slept through to 6 am. Very little pain, just a few twinges from the post-op bruising.
Going to try a short walk around the block this morning and pick up my next load of meds from the pharmacy, which is on the route.
 
@mercman Sounds like you are doing splendidly. Especially so early on.
It's someone walking with you? Guessing you are conformity and the terrain is navigable.
I guess I will eventually receive the Worrier-in-Chief title. And if you knew how reckless I have been in earlier times, that is a far cry from what you should expect.
I just know that at 10 days out, I had some out of nowhere yanks and zips plus a few lightheaded spells. Be extra careful. Don't want to jeopardize all that good recovery you have going on.
I sure do understand the cabin fever .
I was happy just to get OUTSIDE:tada:
 
@Mojo333 Thanks for your concern, yes someone will be accompanying me on my walk and it's all on level terrain. Hopefully all will be ok.
Getting out in the fresh air will be great. Just gonna have some lunch then off we go!
 
Couple of short walks today, plus lots of rest. Virtually no pain at all but leg looking very bruised now and a little swollen, managing my exercises well and even cooked dinner tonight for my dear wife and I. Only thing I really need help with are getting the support stockings on and off when it's time to change them.
Physio appointment tomorrow at the hospital followed by wound check on Friday.
 
Physio went well and got some new exercises to do, wound check ok, just a couple of small pink areas that still need to be covered for a couple of days, but nurse says that dressing can come off completely on monday.
Virtually no pain now , just tenderness and bruising.
 
Back
Top Bottom