Guest viewing is limited

THR new hip newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I've posted but I've had another huge success. I finished my last PT session on Friday! Moving forward I am now approved to take it slow with getting back to my exercises and build up slowly. I've started back and done 2 sessions...rowed 500m feeling good and doing light weight work. Feels great to finally sweat! Also walking normally and overall feeling 90+% there. This all as I approach week 12 post-op. I was so afraid things would be very different...I am thrilled with my progress and wish all of the best to everyone out there no matter what stage you are in. Be patient, listen to your body and the doctors and have faith...it gets better!
 
[Bonesmart.org] new hip newbie!
aligirl8, GREAT update!!!! Nothing beats life starting to get back to normal and being able to do regular things! And you are sooooooooo right!!!!--it does GET BETTER!!!!

Take care and keep us updated. We care. [Bonesmart.org] new hip newbie!
 
Great update, well done you for taking it slow and steady :)
 
Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well and recovering nicely. I am shocked that 2 days from now will mark 5 months since my hip replacement! I'm doing very well overall, can't complain. I'm exercising at Crossfit (with very little weight) 3x a week and I'm trying to walk a minimum of 30-45 minutes on days I'm not exercising. I'll also get in a bike ride about once a week if my leg isn't sore. I wanted to ask those of you that are into fitness and exercise if running will ever be OK? I experience soreness not just in my muscles as I recover (totally normal), but also at the top of my thigh (not in my hip), which I am assuming is where the femur as drilled and the bone is healing. When I'm walking on some days I have what best can be described as an awareness of that part of my leg. Feels sore/weird, but doesn't hurt. Does this go away over time? I also have become a weather barometer! Rainy/damp days I feel :-) Would love to hear from those who are further along with healing or in my path and what my future expectations should be. Otherwise I'm doing great and even had my first experience with the security scanner at the airport....funny! Happy Labor Day to those in the US....enjoy your long weekend! Allison
 
Hi aligirl8, so glad things continue to progress for you! Sounds like you are very active for only 5 months out.

If your surgeon did not restrict running then the good news is you will be able to do it again. For now - 5 months out is still early for that kind of activity. The soreness is healing and muscles starting to work again. The most important thing will be to build up gradually. I'm going to tag alexthecat our fitness guru. She might have some ideas for strengthening. Patience for now - the feelings you are having are totally normal and will eventually fade.
 
Hi aligirl8 sounds like you are doing really well, I'm pleased for you!! :happydance: I'm not so fit, never have been, but I'm trying to do more each day and have even bought myself an exercise bike in the hope that I can strengthen my legs and get more fit. I'm just 11 week post second surgery, back at work full time and back to walking my dog for a lot longer than I could manage pre op so I'm very happy. I know what you mean about feeling an awareness in the leg, you couldn't say it was a pain it just feels 'different' and if that's how it stays then at least it's a whole lot better that how it was before. :)
 
aligirl8 Hi Allison,it sounds like you are doing extremely well and your activity is at a level I can only dream of so first of all I would like to congratulate you on your recovery so far.I am 5 and a half months now and also experience that soreness and an awareness of the upper thigh but as Littlejem says it is a lot better than before the surgery.It was good to read from Jacey that this is due to the healing process.
 
aligirl8 you are doing really well to be able to get in all that exercise. On this forum it is said that walking is the best thing you can do for your hips. I don't know about running though, I can't say for sure but for me I think that's one thing my OS doesn't want his patients to do. It is hard on your joints.
 
That "weird" feeling just means you're still healing. It won't last forever.

If your surgeon has cleared you for running, just ease into it. Follow something like the "Couch to 5k" program, which starts out just running a minute or two at a time. Exercises like squats and lunges will help strengthen all the muscles you use in running. You know, it might be worth while to have a PT or athletic trainer analyze your gait and see if they find any specific problems that you need to work on.
 
Thanks everyone! I'm not cleared to run just yet...was wondering "out loud" if its a no-no for everyone long term or if eventually (next year) it might be something I can incorporate. I am not a big runner, but an occassional 5k and some 800m runs during a workout were my norm. I agree with my fellow hipsters, the "awareness" in the leg is much better than the limping and pain I had prior to surgery. At least I am walking normally and feeling better! Hope everyone is having a successful journey post-op!
 
aligirl8, that's good you are staying fit. I found walking really helped and I still notice some soreness on my LTHR and a very slight soreness on my RTHR but it is lessening with each passing week. I will be seeing my surgeon this Thursday for my 3 month post-op review and probably my last time.

I won't attempt anything I feel uncomfortable with just yet, like bungee jumping, hang gliding, ski jumping or wrestling. Next year I want to play golf again, garden, hiking and maybe in Winter 2014 some alpine skiing. Good Luck to you in all your endeavours as you recover to the fullest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom