Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Here Looking for Positivity

Good that you two can share the driving! I'd help but with a two-week-old right knee, I won't be driving for quite a while..... :rofsign: I'll be on and off the bus until I figure all this patience stuff out... :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @Poctdb I’m going to need a ticket and some constant reminding!:heehee:
 
Hey all. Any suggestions on what to do or take for post operative depression? I’m starting to sink into more of a depressive anxiety filled state. I think due to slow healing process and pain/overall frustration.
I used to take fish oil which was helpful but was told not to take it because of blood thinning properties. Any suggestions?
I continue to take ibuprofen 800mg every 8 hours and Tramodol 50 mg approx 3-4 times per 24 hours when needed.
 
Unfortunately post op depression happens. I can tell you to ride with it but that is not helpful. I do find that car rides to new areas and noticing what is happening in real life makes me happier.
I am learning that too much keyboard time actually makes depression worse..

I don't believe there is a Magic Pill..
 
Hi @LooLoo ,

Recovery is frustrating for everyone because it takes longer than we want.

Early on I didn't think I was making progress so I started making a list of "accompishments" so I could look back and see if things were changing. My early list had things like made coffee, first solo shower, a lap around the house, switched from walker to a cane. Later it was the distance I walked outside, first trip to the grocery etc. I think we have selective memories and tend to forget how far we have come. Celebrate each small improvement. Things will get better it just takes time.
 
Thank you @mainegirl1 and @Chemist I spoke with my ortho nurse and was told I can take fish oil again. This was helpful in the past so I’m hoping it will help to elevate my mood some.
I like the suggestions you both gave! I’m actually going on a car ride this evening with my husband to take my dogs to a hiking trail. I won’t get to walk much but it’s a beautiful place to visit and I’ll do what I can while I’m there! :puppysmooze:
 
Getting out should be a big mood lifter. Nature always seems to be an uplifting place for me. Just seeing God's beauty is amazing.
 
@LooLoo
I did like @Chemist but mine was a set schedule.
Check e-mail, do laundry fold clothes and put away, fix lunch, do dishes, etc....

I found if I was as busy as the knee would allow, the blues did not last as long.
 
Thanks @Poctdb I’m finding the same thing. The more I plan for the day, the better my spirits! Going to make sure I have things to keep me occupied!
 
I hope your outing was a success!
I find that the isolation of healing is the thing that causes me the most angst and depression. I work aggressively against this by spending a lot of time on my various social media connections, posting here like a fiend, and reaching out to my friends for emotional support.

I also took up knitting. lol. I hope it will keep me busier next round.
 
Hello all
I’m looking for some info about my progress.
I’m at the very beginning of week 6. My ROM with bent leg is at 97 today. I feel like my progress is slow and I’m always stiff and still have pain. Will I be able to move past this? Do people ever get “stuck” and stop improving with range of motion?
 
In the early weeks where you are now there is still plenty of swelling that prevents ROM. Reducing that swelling takes lots of time.

Yes, you will get past this but you have to be patient. It’s way too early to think you are stuck.

My ROM continued to improve past the one year mark AND past the 2 year mark. Try not to worry.
 
I’m at the very beginning of week 6. My ROM with bent leg is at 97 today. I feel like my progress is slow and I’m always stiff and still have pain. Will I be able to move past this? Do people ever get “stuck” and stop improving with range of motion?
A flexion of 97 degrees at only 6 weeks post-op is pretty good. I'd say you're making good progress.
By the way, ROM (Range of Motion) consists of both flexion (bending) and extension (straightening).

Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year, although you won't always feel like you do now. By about 3 months, you'll be able to do almost everything. But, you have had major surgery, not the sort you can recover from in just a few weeks. If you think of it as a race, it's a marathon, not a sprint, so you have to pace yourself.

It's normal to still have stiffness and pain at 6 weeks. They'll decrease gradually, but the stiffness sometimes lingers for several months.

Of course you're going to move beyond this, but you will have some periods when you seem to be standing still and even some when you seem to lose ground. Recovery isn't a straight linear progress. It's more like this:
[Bonesmart.org] New Here Looking for Positivity

There's no need to rush to get ROM, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
@LooLoo ...I’m new here. Just happened upon this forum while FINALLY looking for some sort of hippie voodoo (I was desperate!) remedy for my nervy skin sensitivity that’s been driving me nuts (for the record, someone in a different forum suggested Saran Wrap...tried it last night and got my first truly decent nights sleep). My left TKR was July 29 (one day before yours) and I have experienced many of the same type of issues as you and many others. I went in thinking this was going to be a cakewalk but have found it has been like nothing I had envisioned. My saving grace has been my wife who has cared for me without judging (even when I’m sure she wanted to tell me several times to buck up and get in the game) and the fact that several neighbors in our 55+ neighborhood have had TKRs and have been very positive for me psychologically. The key for you is to accept and eventually know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I know everyone is different, but I assure you, you will start to realize that you are doing things that you couldn’t previously...you will realize incremental improvement rules each day but along with those will come days that seem to be a step or two backwards. Overall trajectory is the key (not day to day) and you will see your trajectory headed up. I’ve had thoughts that I’d never sleep again (and how can you heal when you can’t rest?) and the next thing you know I find a helpful hint that has given me a renewed hope. You will find your way thru with the help of this forum and others. Good luck and God bless...
 
Thank you so much @whit828 it makes me feel so much better that I’m not alone in this. I have a difficult time allowing the process to unfold and become filled with fear and worry. I have to keep reminding myself that I am making strides. I was in so much pain the first few weeks and now I’m moving around so much more. It helps to have reminders from others that we can improve and get through it. I am so grateful for this forum!
I wish you the best with your knee!
 
Remember, you ARE making progress! It does get better and the busier you get with everyday life, the less you will notice your knee. I, unfortunately, continue to have stiffness in my knees of a morning (after 2.5 years) but it quickly goes away and I think you will be more active than I am so probably won't notice it as much.
Continue your elevating and icing and once the swelling is completely gone, you will notice a BIG difference!
 
Back
Top Bottom