THR Need THR and I'm really concerned

He was going to use the "superior direct approach",
I learned about this type of surgical approach from a few other members on Bonesmart.
It can also be called the “northern approach.” With certain patented tools, it can be called SuperPath, or SuperCap (2003).
 
Sooo....found a doctor and have my date - February 18. The only thing pending is my metal allergy testing and getting over my fear of a spinal block.
 
Hi @skye_56
Glad to see you have a date to get this new hip show on the road.
Will be nice to say bye bye to hip pain and start getting your life back!
We are rooting for you!
 
Last edited:
I have no info on allergies but I do agree with all those who have posted before me that with the right OS, you most likely won’t have any restrictions. Given your close proximity to Boston, you’ll have plenty of choices. Actually now that I think about it, you already have a date so obviously you already found someone. That is fantastic! As far as restrictions, my only restriction is no bungee jumping. Since that was not on my bucket list, I’m free to do most anything now and do it pain free.

I, too, was a bit skeptical about the spinal since I’d never had one before but it was just fine. I woke up after feeling much better than after general anesthesia and was not nauseous at all. I don’t recall having a choice on the type of anesthesia so went with their recommendation.

You’ll do just fine and all that OA pain will be gone!! Great news!!
 
@GrannyC Thank you for your words of encouragement. I do tend to be a nervous Nellie - I also read online (first big mistake) that the spinal can affect your breathing - but it was not specific as the location of the spinal that may affect your breathing. So that completely freaked me out. They also mentioned I might not be able to empty my bladder fully and since I'm day surgery and an hour plus from any hospital that also made me go hmmmm....

I'm having the MELISA test done - then depending on the results I might also have to visit my dentist.
 
getting over my fear of a spinal block
I have had three spinals. The only time I was told I would feel like I was not breathing, was during an emergency c-section, but they assured me I would be breathing and to remember that. I was fine, every time. Just my experience.
 
I was very nervous about having the spinal block, but it was such an easy experience! so much so that I asked if I could do the same for my second hip.
It all goes along so easily and simply and I didn't feel a thing. It helped not having the nausea, too. Which tends to come from general anesthetic- at least for me it does.. bleh!
 
@skye_56 I agree that they will not let you leave if you can’t pee. I, too, live over an hour from the hospital. My OS kept everyone overnight. My husband is a HUGE worrier so he really wanted me to stay for 2 nights. He was concerned something might happen once we got home and it would be a long drive back. I told my OS this and he said nothing would happen plus he’d be more worried if I stayed in the hospital because I might catch something. So they are keeping our best interests in mind when they let us leave. You’ll do just fine. Also you will most likely be given a phone number where you can call any time with questions. You’ll do just fine.
 
I have a question about the spinal block - how long does it take to wear off. It must be pretty fast, as they want you up and walking before you leave.
 
I have a question about the spinal block - how long does it take to wear off.
Everyone is different but in my case it was about 2-3 hours before I could get up. They won't let you get mobile until you have all the feeling in your legs and feet.
 
Sooo....found a doctor and have my date - February 18. The only thing pending is my metal allergy testing and getting over my fear of a spinal block.
@skye_56 - Congratulations on your upcoming surgery and your journey to becoming pain free. I think pre-surgery anxiety is pretty common for most people, but try to relax and not "borrow trouble" as the saying goes. Google is a wonderful tool, but try not to "go there" until after your surgery.
 
I have a question about the spinal block - how long does it take to wear off. It must be pretty fast, as they want you up and walking before you leave.

There wasn't much to the spinal. It took a little while to get the needle in the right place before the spinal meds were injected but that was the only discomfort involved. They waited until I passed a skin poke test on my leg/foot before clamping me into the table and starting the iv meds (I didn't want to be pre medicated).

The iv med was propofol and I could see it starting in the iv (it's milky white). I remember telling the anesthesiologist I was a little relaxed but not sleepy, then I was being wheeled into recovery.

It was about 3 hours before I walked for the first time. That walk was to the toilet. I wasn't catheterized at any point. They were very concerned about urine output. I had to pee into a graduated container twice and bladder ultrasounds were done 3 times.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom