Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsCat62

I'm so glad I found this board!

My husband, after years of pain, multiple doctors and even more test and procedures, has just been diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis. He is now scheduled for a THR on May 20th.

But this is all happening so quickly because the doctor happened to have an opening in his schedule. So not only are we new to all this (THR), but we're also located about 100 miles from the doctor and hospital that will be doing it. That means that we won't be able to get to the pre-surgery class before the procedure.

I know we'll get either crutches or walker from the hospital (I would prefer a walker for him). We also have a recliner that he can either sit in or sleep in if needed. And I've read here that he should get a "goody bag" from the hospital with a few items like a long handled sponge and reaching tools.
But what else do I need to have at home for him? I'm realizing that I probably need a raised toilet seat. What else?

You need all that and more. Make sure your throw rugs are picked up and get some suction cup security handles for your shower. Also walkie-talkies are a must have. I used those to call my wife for assistance.

You didn't mention age, as that makes a big difference, also do you have a one story or two story house? Stairs will be a problem for a while. Oh, and you need a way for the "hippie" to turn on the lights, at least dim, at bathroom time. I have a fully automated house, so one button by my bed did it for me, but if you don't have an automated house, you'll want to consider that.

100 miles from the hospital? My gosh - that must make you fell very 'out there', Mscat. But I am hoping the rest of the members will chime in and give you endless tips and suggestions. You can't beat first hand experience. But doesn't the hospital have a contact for advice? Not sure how that works over in the US. Here in the UK there are agencies we can phone for advice. There are also endless websites with rehab advice - they just take time searching out.

Keep in touch - we'll do our best to answer questions as they come up.

You need all that and more. Make sure your throw rugs are picked up and get some suction cup security handles for your shower. Also walkie-talkies are a must have. I used those to call my wife for assistance.

You didn't mention age, as that makes a big difference, also do you have a one story or two story house? Stairs will be a problem for a while. Oh, and you need a way for the "hippie" to turn on the lights, at least dim, at bathroom time. I have a fully automated house, so one button by my bed did it for me, but if you don't have an automated house, you'll want to consider that.
Ano, Thank you for your advice.
My husband will be 50 in August. But he also has other medical issues. He had his neck fused in 2000 (C4-C7). He also has Degenerative Disc Disease in his lower lumbar (well actually his whole spine), and carpel tunnel in both wrist (which is one reason I prefer a walker instead of crutches).
As for the shower, there is a built in bar in it already, but will I need more and a shower seat? It's not a very large shower, but I think I can get a seat in it. Though I'm not sure if I can get any more bars in it because of the design of it. There are some rugs in there that can be yanked out quickly if needed, but I'm also concerned about not having them and the slipping factor when wet. Other than the bathrooms, there aren't any other throw rugs in the house.
The house is also one level. The only steps are maybe 2 (1 step and a threshold) to get in the house.
We do have a touch lamp by the bed which is what he uses at night for the bathroom cause the bathroom is only a few steps from his side of the bed and pretty much a straight line to the toilet. Is that what you meant?

I can tell you though that an automated house is not an option, though it would be nice. But all the years of doctors and test and seriously hurt our finances and every time I mention getting something for him half the time he hollers, "Don't spend any money!". However, I've pointed out to him that he doesn't want to go through all this to screw it up cause he trying to make due with certain things. And he's agreed. But an automated house won't get done.

100 miles from the hospital? My gosh - that must make you fell very 'out there', Mscat. But I am hoping the rest of the members will chime in and give you endless tips and suggestions. You can't beat first hand experience. But doesn't the hospital have a contact for advice? Not sure how that works over in the US. Here in the UK there are agencies we can phone for advice. There are also endless websites with rehab advice - they just take time searching out.

Keep in touch - we'll do our best to answer questions as they come up.
Josephine, Yes, I do feel very "out there". Especially after living most of my life in Los Angeles. And I so wish this were happening there where I had easier access to everything. The Internet has become a lifesaver cause there is very little here where I live. But as you said, it does take time to search at times. And time is something I don't have much of right now cause this is happening so quickly. But the next opening wouldn't have been until August and I couldn't ask him to continue to suffer til then. Not to mention, here in rural Iowa I have to consider "Seasons". And this last winter was brutal! Doing this now, at least the worst I'll have to drive in is thunder storms, but if we wait til August, then we could find ourselves having to make that 100 mile drive in ice and snow. I'd rather deal with T-Storms! <lol>

I am going to call his surgeon today and see if there is a contact that can tell me what I'll need. Thank you for that. I know the surgeons office has been helpful, but I kept telling them, "I don't want any surprises". Meaning that when my husband had his neck fused in 2000 no one told us he wouldn't be able to sleep in his bed (I didn't have Internet at that time). That's not something you want to find out at bedtime. But they haven't told me any of the stuff I've found here, like the toilet seat. We even asked if he'd have trouble gong to the bathroom and was told simply, "no".

Again, I want to thank anyone who can give me any advice right now. I've found that when I need to learn about anything, the best place to start is a message board. Cause you get the good, the bad, and the ugly from the people who have been there and done that! ;-)

Hi,
I can relate to your husband. I am 50, scheduled to have right hip replacement on June 6th and also had the same fusion of the neck that he had last summer. I do have major problems in my thoracic spine and an endocrine condition (hypopituitarism)
I am glad I found this site also.
You mentioned a goody bag from the hospital. I think you will have to purchase those items. As I try to get prepared the long handle grabber will be essential.
Depending on the location of the incision there are restrictions for 3 months. I am having a posterior approach and will have 3 months of restrictions such as keeping my hip at no less than a 90 degree angle. This translates as no bending past my knees, no shoe tying or bending to put a shoe on for that matter. Sitting the knees have to always be lower than the hips (my husband's car is out) No crossing my legs, sleeping on my back with a pillow between my legs. I am planning on getting lots of pillows to try to get comfortable.
By the way I am in the Los Angeles area.
Good Luck
Judy

Hi MsCat and welcome! I had my THR 7 weeks ago. I got the shower chair, the raised toilet seat, the grabber, and the device that helps you put on your sock. I actually never needed the shower chair. The toilet set I got from Walmart, (still using) and the sock thing (still using) and the grabber I got from my Dad who had THR 3 years ago (and I don't need grabber anymore). I recovered very quickly, (I'm 54) but do not have any other back problems. BTW, Easter Seals/Goodwill here has items such as this for people with limited income. You should ask any friends or family members who have had hip replacement if they have any of these things in a closet. Love the raised toilet seat, I am tall so have always hated short toilets.

Hi,
I can relate to your husband. I am 50, scheduled to have right hip replacement on June 6th and also had the same fusion of the neck that he had last summer. I do have major problems in my thoracic spine and an endocrine condition (hypopituitarism)
I am glad I found this site also.
You mentioned a goody bag from the hospital. I think you will have to purchase those items. As I try to get prepared the long handle grabber will be essential.
Depending on the location of the incision there are restrictions for 3 months. I am having a posterior approach and will have 3 months of restrictions such as keeping my hip at no less than a 90 degree angle. This translates as no bending past my knees, no shoe tying or bending to put a shoe on for that matter. Sitting the knees have to always be lower than the hips (my husband's car is out) No crossing my legs, sleeping on my back with a pillow between my legs. I am planning on getting lots of pillows to try to get comfortable.
By the way I am in the Los Angeles area.
Good Luck
Judy
Judy,
First, good luck with your THR as well as your neck fusion. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Since I last posted (btw, sorry it took me so long to reply) I've found out quite a bit.......I think? <lol>
I not only called the surgeons office, but also the hospital. I found out that they probably will not give him a Hip Kit. So I just found one on Amazon for $27. including S&H and ordered it. It should be here before he gets home. And if they do send one home with him, I'll just return the one I bought. But at least we'll have one.
I also bought a big King size pillow for my husband that should work just fine. Then I found out they will send him home with a "V" pillow. But they said that most patients prefer a regular pillow and don't tend to use the "V". We'll see how that goes, I can always return that as well. <lol> Or buy more if needed, but we have several regular pillows here that will do for a day until I can get bigger ones. His bed is a huge King size with a memory foam topper so hopefully he'll be comfortable.
I don't know which approach they'll use in surgery though. I do know they said he should expect 6-8 weeks before being able to go back to work. Though after reading here, I wonder if that will even be close? I know everyone is different, so again....we'll see what happens.
Luckily he tends to like Velcro tennis shoes, so tying won't be an issue until he does go back to work.

Hi MsCat and welcome! I had my THR 7 weeks ago. I got the shower chair, the raised toilet seat, the grabber, and the device that helps you put on your sock. I actually never needed the shower chair. The toilet set I got from Walmart, (still using) and the sock thing (still using) and the grabber I got from my Dad who had THR 3 years ago (and I don't need grabber anymore). I recovered very quickly, (I'm 54) but do not have any other back problems. BTW, Easter Seals/Goodwill here has items such as this for people with limited income. You should ask any friends or family members who have had hip replacement if they have any of these things in a closet. Love the raised toilet seat, I am tall so have always hated short toilets.
jeaniebug, Good luck with your THR, my prayers are with you as well.
As I told Judy, I have a Hip Kit ordered, so that's taken care of. I was looking for the toilet seat raiser, then the doctor (or his PA) finally called me back and told me the doctor doesn't normally have his patients use them. So it seems as though I've now hit the, "wait and see" mode. Wait and see how he does in the hospital on whether or not he'll need the toilet seat, shower seat, or anything else I haven't already gotten.
I'm not a good "wait and see" person, but I don't see that I have much choice cause a lot will depend on how my husband does.
At least I found out yesterday from a friend that we have a store here in town that loans out equipment and takes donations. And I've talked to them and they have most, if not all of what he might need. So at least if we get home and find he does need a raiser for the toilet, etc., I can get one quick!
Though he's only about 5'7" now (his back has made him shrink some), so he may do just fine without some of this stuff.
But knowing there's a place close (and that it loans equipment) certainly helps take some of the stress out of "wait and see" for me. ;-)

I also wasn't big on the shower seat. I had fitted a hand shower to my regular show but never really used it. I'd say if standing in the shower isn't a problem now, it won't be after the surgery.

Also adding some night lights might help. Getting from the bed to the bathroom and back at night is one of the most difficult tasks for the first week or so.

I also wasn't big on the shower seat. I had fitted a hand shower to my regular show but never really used it. I'd say if standing in the shower isn't a problem now, it won't be after the surgery.

Also adding some night lights might help. Getting from the bed to the bathroom and back at night is one of the most difficult tasks for the first week or so.

Got both those covered already. We've always had a hand held shower head from the days of water rationing in CA, cause this one has an on/off button on it. And we also have plenty of night lites around, cause we also have "Furkids" (3 cats and one is black). So hubby (and I) walk carefully at night. <lol>

Might be a couple of weeks before he is allowed to take a shower. I've been taking sponge baths for the past two weeks. Will they be sending a physical therapist out to the house for a little while to help Jim? I borrowed my father in law's walker and that helped. My wife (primary care giver) and myself used the text messaging a lot the first week.

gmac, From what they've said so far, it doesn't sound like he'll get any PT. And they expect him to be able to take a shower at this point. Now whether or not he'll be able to stand to do it, or I'll have to run out and get a seat will depend on how he does in the hospital. In fact pretty everything at this point will depend on how he does in the hospital. So all I can do is wait and see.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v55_IAiken_Emoticons_shrug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back