Guest viewing is limited

PKR NanaBeach 7 Months Post-op

:goodpost:
And really good to hear how well you're doing!
I'll be driving for the first time tomorrow. Looking forward to that and running small errands.
 
@NanaBeach , good report, its really nice to hit the 4 week mark, thing get slowly better each week. You are not far off the good (well better) nights sleep which is the worse side affect. :bored:

For me it came at nearly 5 weeks, i had been off heavy drugs for several weeks also, but got so down and fed up that i took an oxy (had a few left from prescription ) one night and....hey presto, conked me out for a 7 hour stretch.:sleep:

Slowly from there went back to 2 x 3-4 hours sleeps at night. It makes a hugh difference when it finally happens - hope it comes to you soon:mcoffee:
 
Thanks for the encouragement, @flsungirl , @Kiwigirl62 and @beachy. I'm icing and elevating right now following my big outing this morning!
It felt great to be out doing normal things like a haircut appointment, even though I'm still moving around pretty slowly.

As things turned out, last night was my first time getting over 7 hours of sleep, even though that was divided into 4 segments. It will be great once the overnight issues go away and I can enjoy a good night's sleep again. Meanwhile, I'm staying in a place of gratitude for everything that's going well and repeating "This too shall pass" every day. :loveshwr:
 
@NanaBeach , fantastic news..:yay::yay:
Great Mantra also....yes slowly but surely it will happen.

When i look back i was doing a quiie a bit on my feet, remember I was sooooooo slow walking, absolutely everyone past me but week by week i got better although nowhere near there yet but i see it is possible.

Remember it is the tortise that wins the race not the hare:dancy:
 
Tomorrow will be 5 weeks since my surgery and for the most part, I'm really pleased about how things are going. Like almost everyone else's story, sleep-- and especially more than 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep-- is still an issue. I'm resting when I can during the day and often doze in a recliner after dinner, so I know all of that adds up.

But especially now that I'm driving again and starting to do more activity at home, I feel encouraged about my recovery.

My big question today is about sex and intimacy. I've read some comments here about this topic, but it seems like the majority are from people who have had hip replacement (rather than knee). I've still got too much discomfort and difficulty moving into various positions to be intimate with my husband again. There's a definite disconnect now between "wanting to do this" and figuring out a way that won't be painful or cause any damage.

How are the rest of you Bonesmarties dealing with this? Especially for those of you who went through this surgery and recuperation a year ago or longer, please share any encouragement you can pass along. Thanks so much!
 
Thanks, @beachy. No other replies yet.

My fatigue and pain levels are constant reminders that there's still a lot of healing going on. However compared with other major surgery experiences through the years, this one seems more challenging regarding getting back to feeling interested (and able) to reconnect with my husband that way. I'll keep you posted!:wave:
 
People don't talk much about this because intimacy is both private for most and also folks might be concerned about how much information is too much information.

For what it's worth, Mr. Shoes and I returned to connubial bliss on week 3 of my recovery. It's doable. It comes down to finding a comfortable position and ensuring your new knee is happy enough for it to NOT be the center of attention. The early days can be a bit knee-centric, but that shouldn't stop you. :)
 
Nanabeach!
How have you been?
Did you accomplish your "goal"?????
 
Hi!
I thought I would reply here since my recovery thread is getting very long LOL!

It was great to hear from you! Our recoveries still sound similar. I fell victim to the ODIC several times, always my own fault. The worst time couldn't be helped when hubs was admitted to the hospital unexpectedly. But, all is well. He's much better and so am I.

Sounds like your recovery is going well except for ODIC. I feel like I turned a corner, but still have a ways to go. Do you feel that, too?
Keep in touch!
 
It's hard to believe all of the positive changes in my life since getting a new knee just over 7 months ago. My surgeon was very pleased with my progress when I saw him for my 6-month follow up in April. It's been about 2 months since I've used any Tylenol (the only medication I took after the first 2 weeks) and I can do so many more things than were possible before the surgery. I recently started walking with a friend and can comfortably do a mile without pain or swelling. This still feels like a miracle, especially after 5 years of pain, swelling and very limited mobility. Before my surgery, it was painful and difficult to walk from one room to another in my home. I am grateful each day for these amazing results! It wasn't a quick recovery (or a very easy one), but all of the challenges were worth it to have these results. Wishing all of you hood health and full healing!
 
Hi @NanaBeach - It's good to read that you're doing so well.

You'll notice that I've merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Thank you, Celle, for merging the threads! I wasn't sure how to do that myself. :)
 
Hi NanaBeach!:wave:
We're so close in surgery dates and my recovery sounds like yours. I'm pleased with the new knee and an doing more than I could in years. Keep up the good work!
 
Hi Beachy,
How nice to hear from you! I was wondering how you've been doing. It's great to know that you are pleased with your new knee as well and doing "more than I could in years" also. We are so lucky to have these fantastic results. Besides being able to walk regularly for exercise, my husband and I had a lovely vacation last month at that gorgeous spot in my profile photo. This was our 3rd visit there, but the only one I've experienced without needing to use a cane. What a difference!

I have so much gratitude each day, especially for the little things that I've missed doing for most of the past 5 years (since my knee was injured and then I had complications develop from the arthroscopic surgery). Those years of pain and limited mobility are all in the past now. Hooray!

I hope you and your family will have a fabulous summer, including plenty of time at the beach!
:happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom