TKR My Story: Multiple Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaJim

I have been reading this forum since my first joint replacement in March of 09. It has been a great strength and comfort for me.

A little bit about me. I am a 41 year old male. I had a RTHR in March of 09, a LTKR in December of 09, a Right Total Shoulder in April of 2011 and the most recent was two weeks ago, a RTKR, all because of OA. At least that is what they tell me. They were not able to find any other reason as to why my joints are the way they are.

I have had joint issues since my teenage years. Apparently my joints did not like cartilage, so they got rid of it. Most of my joints are in bad shape and will eventually have to be replaced. But for now, I think I might be finished for a few years. I have been very lucky to find some incredible and very competent doctors. One for the shoulder, and the other for my knees and hip. I have done very well after all of my surgeries and feel very blessed to have excellent outcomes. There have been some discouraging times but I have realized that all will get better eventually.

Two points of advice, have a lot of patience and work as hard as you can on your PT. Everyone will heal on their own time. Don't get discouraged when someone else is healing quicker than you, you will heal when your body wants to heal. You can help it along doing your part, but everyone is different. PT must be done and done faithfully but not to the point were it causes extreme pain. That will only cause setbacks.

It is so wonderful to be in a time when medical technology is so advanced. It has given me my life back. I am able to do things that I haven't been able to do in over a decade. These forums have been a great source of comfort after each replacement. My thought with joint replacements, do them sooner rather than later. There is no reason to live with pain when the technology is available to get rid of your pain and suffering.

I have gotten better rather quickly after each surgery and it has made me a strong believer in getting the replacements done as quick as can be done. Sorry for the rambling, I just wanted to introduce myself and let people know that having a joint replaced is not the end of things, it is the beginning of an improved and less painful life. Cheers and keep working hard.

Re: My Story. Multiple Replacements

Great to meet you Jim and glad that you finally joined! :thumb: It's always good to talk to another person with multiple replacements.

One thing I wanted to mention and forgot to mention on my original post is how improvements still happen over time. I am coming up three years with my RTHR and it continues to get stronger and gain flexibility. And I still feel that there are years of improvements to come. They won't be big, but they will continue as long as I continue to work the joint.

Welcome Jim, glad you have decided to come out of the background and join. I'm sure with your experience and expertise at this joint replacement stuff you will be an asset and inspiration for those who are facing the decsion for a joint replacement.

I will be heading your way in a month for a Bike tour in the Tucson area. I am looking forward to the trip. I really enjoy the state, as long as it is not June, July or August!

Hello Gene,

I lived in Tucson for 2 years. It is where I was introduced to road cycling. There is not a better place in AZ for winter riding than Tucson. Have a fun and safe trip.

Welcome! I understand your a "Don't Give Up" kinda guy!!!!

Hi, Jim.....glad you officially joined us here on BoneSmart. It's wonderful to read about someone who has overcome problems like yours....and who has such a positive outlook. I hope you continue to post, as your perspective and experience will really help others who read your story!

Hello Bonesmarties,

Just another note on ROM and time frame. As was previously mentioned, I have had a few replacements done. My left knee has just passed the two year mark. When I was done with therapy about 20 months ago, my ROM was 125. I was happy with it and really haven't worked on gaining more ROM since. So two weeks ago in therapy for the new right knee, I had my therapist measure my left knee to see where it was at. He measured at 124.

I decided to start stretching it again along with my right to see if an improvement could be made. We measured again on Friday and it was now at 130. Just another testament that ROM gains will continue well after the surgery is done if you continue to work on it. My new right knee is also doing well at 121 and getting stronger everyday. I feel very blessed to be able to have the arthritic pain that has plagued me for such a long time in my knees gone.

Great post, Jim! You are living proof of what we tell folks here on BoneSmart about gaining ROM.

Welcome Jim! Great post about ROM. I too continue to gain ROM at 17 months post op. :thumb:

Welcome Jim,
I love AZ and Tucson. Went to UofA and taught Navy ROTC there for 2 years. Great biking weather, do they still do the el-tour de Tucson? I never tried that ride but did ride from Tucson to Mesa and back in two days. That was 20+ years ago.

Hello Davrunner,

The Tour de Tucson is bigger than ever. They get around 6000 to 7000 riders. It is pretty big. Cyclist come from all over the country.

Cycling in Tucson and the people are the biggest things I miss not living there. It was nice to ride year round. I am now in Northern Arizona where it is possible to ride in the winter, but it is just to cold for me.

The tour has definately grown, believe the first couple of years were just a few hundred riders. I also miss Tucson, the people and the weather. Don't miss having to jump over or run around the rattle snakes in the desert. There are some great hiking there in the Sajauro national monument and up around catalinas and the Desert Mueseum.

Where in Northern Arizona? I grew up in Holbrook. Not much bike riding to be done there.
I had to give up biking due to degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my spine. I'm wanting to get a recumbant bike that will allow me to get out and enjoy the weather this spring.

A teaching colleague of mine spent most of his Christmas vacation in Arizona---he was amazed to see how many people cycled everywhere and that you could cycle year 'round. I would really like that!

Hello Davrunner,

I was born and raised in Snowflake. Moved back about 6 years ago. I enjoy living here. For me, I wanted my family to be part of a community. It was hard to do that in a bigger city.

I am very familiar with Holbrook. Roadrunners and Lobos are still big rivals. It is always fun to play against Holbrook. I coach football at the high school, so I get to be part of that rivalry once a year. Small world.

Tim, I agree, riding in Tucson year round was a huge plus. Summers were a little cooler than Phoenix and the winters were very mild.

I'm a little late, but here's my welcome- Welcome!

Whenever someone asks me about my TKR, I always tell them- "if they tell you that you need one, its better to get it done as soon as possible. Don't wait."

Also, a whole bunch of my friends just arrived in Arizona. More are on their way and will be there by next week. They'll be there for a couple months with the Arizona Ren Fest. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kevin from PA
Recent bookmarks