THR My second new hip on Wednesday!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made it home!! It's much more comfortable...I'm in my recliner with ice on my hip.
Bruises are starting to form along my thigh...it almost looks like there was a clamp there during surgery!

Looking for an IOS app to schedule my cocktail of pain meds...oxy, tramadol. muscle relaxant, aspirin for me. Anybody have one to recommend? I just want reminders so I space them correctly.

And PT is coming tomorrow morning...in home!! That's different from the last time...they had no such thing here in 2007.
 
I found several apps, downloaded them, tried 2, and did not like them. I have a spreadsheet with a column for each type of med, and times down the side. I just fill in the box when I take something.
 
I was wondering if anyone had an idea about this: My legs (espec. operated side) swelled up a lot yesterday evening, and I didn't pee much during the evening. Also I was flushed (no temp tho) and nauseated...I thought I had eaten too much at dinner. I can only eat small amounts at a time. Or maybe I was too active...though I was in my recliner all day (with a good nap) except for bathroom breaks every 1-2 hours. I elevated my leg for about 5 hours under two pillows on the recliner.

Surprise: I slept 7 hours (two shifts with bathroom in between) in bed on my back! New mattress was a great investment!

I had two visits; one from a friend and one from PT, who mostly interviewed me.

I found I could walk painlessly and steadily on one crutch but switched back to two because I was afraid I had overdone it, though Dr. told me to do what I felt good with, full weight bearing was ok if I wanted to. It felt just fine to have one crutch!!

I'd been flushed the first night home as well. Face was red and I felt chilly. I'd been icing the leg. Am I confusing my body?

I had posterior approach.
Wearing TED hose.
I iced the leg at least half the day. Then at night I felt really cold and swollen, Icy leg and flushed body under a quilt!
I have low sodium in general (just a bit), and was told sodium went even lower at hospital so I'm not afraid of soda's sodium...mistake?

I'm very constipated...have not eaten much or gone since before surgery Wed. I guess an enema today if nothing moves?

Is it normal to swell that much? I was expecting to be nauseated from the opiates but had been cutting down (15mg Oxy to 10 and even 5 once during the day). I drank diet soda and water.

This morning I feel great, though constipated.
Sorry this rambles...it may be the meds...
Just wondering what to do differently today? Don't want another swollen evening.
 
@salsss are you icing and elevating in your recliner? Ice is the best remedy for all that swelling (which is totally normal BTW). Pain meds can make you nauseous - you might ask your family doctor for some anti-nausea medication. Far too early to be cutting back on the meds. I'll leave your official article here for you to refer to. There is also an article on constipation - unfortunately a common problem post op.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
Constipation and stool softeners
 
@salsss - I feel for you, it's like the staff are trying to drive you home...I hope to
be not too cranky either come Mon 4/13. Everyone else has commented on how
you get disturbed ALL the time. Best wishes for a bit of sleep and fast release
to home the best place to recup!
 
Hi Jaycey, I am icing while elevating my leg in the recliner. Wondering about the flushing? Any ideas?

And....I'm getting more rest at home, that's for sure!! Lovely to follow my own schedule!!
 
Not sure about the flushing but if you don't have a fever I would not worry too much. Your body has been through major trauma. Everyone reacts differently to the procedure. Hope that swelling is starting to ease.
 
@salsss re the flushing, after the op my temperature control mechanism seemed messed up and doing little things like eating or going to the toilet made me feel that I was having hot flushes, then I got cold and started shivering. I think it took about 3 weeks to improve, now 11 weeks post op I don't think about it.

You sound like you are doing really well - best wishes for the next step what ever that might be!
x
 
Hello there, @salsss. Here's a thought for you re the flushing: maybe it is a side affect from one of your Meds. A few days after I got home from my surgery I was experiencing waves of nausea accompanied by flushing. The Home Heath Nurse started looking at the side affects for the different Meds that I was taking and it turned out that one med ( oxy) had flushing listed as a side affect. Under the Nurse's suggestion and supervision ( plus she double-checked with my Personal Physician ( and I checked with my OS), I stopped taking the oxy and luckily my pain was well controlled by Tramadol and Tylenol. The flushing disappeared quickly after I stopped the oxy. Hope this helps and that you have a very smooth recovery!
 
Thank you for your updates. Hope you are doing better with flushes. Agree that it is hard to discover what pain meds are adequate and don't make you feel worse. Keep posting I get my new hip Friday and am grateful to read of other's journeys. :catbutterfly:
 
@salsss re your post above, I found a really good app that allows you to schedule your meds and it reminds you-it's called Pillboxie. Try it and let me know what you think!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey thanks!! Pill taking was confusing (addled head) and I added an app called rxmindme. What med, how many times a day, how many doses and when are you starting is what you add....it sets up your schedule and reminds you what to take and when to take it. Some others were buggy for me, but this one worked!

I was getting more and more nauseated over the last few days. I'd been constipated. Finally WENT after 6 days without...enemas, suppositories didn't work. Used MOM and that did it!! Feeling better today though slightly queasy still. Ugh. An experience I'd rather not repeat!! :)

I'm decreasing all meds, especially the Oxy. I need my brain back...and Oxy is the root of all constipation according to this board and my nurse.

AND....I'm getting along nicely with one crutch. Easier to maneuver and hurts the same (not much). !!!

People are starting to visit and when they stay too long I just close my eyes and sleep...they understand!! Sorry to be rude but I need this!!!

I'm never lonely because I have 5 cats who visit me regularly in my chair...they can step anywhere on my lap and it doesn't hurt!! For all you cat owners who were worried, don't!! I had posterior approach.

It's coming along...feel good for (almost) one week out!! Temp regulation is still off but it's less and less.

Thanks for all the support...I would let my mind carry me to bad places for some of the concerns I've had!!
 
@salsss Glad to hear of your progress. Sounds like your body isn't too happy with what you have visited upon it! Hope you continue to move forward. I appreciate hearing about your challenges and solutions. I know many of us do.

12 more days to go for me! Oddly calm.
 
Doing catch-up with you @salsss so good to hear you've got your new hip and doing good pain management.
Sorry for the hospital room & staff noises, hospitals can be challenging. My surgery 2 weeks ago put me in a private room for the communtiy hospital which expanded orthopedic, I was at the end of the hall, and at times I felt neglected with physician asst. bringing ice and forgetting and on discharge day, they really goofed !!

Hope you are closer to going home and doing your catch up on some very restful zzzzzz as much as you need :SUNsmile:

Celebrating with you, April Rainbow Hipster, may you recovery continue well in your transition going home :loveshwr:
 
One week anniversary today!!

I have to say that for the last 2-3 days I've been saying that I'm more mobile (pain comparison) than I was before the operation!! In fact I'm on one crutch now, just like the day I went in! And it's more comfortable to walk since I can now step on my operated foot with more weight than before. What a surprise!!

I've even taken a few steps with no help from anything....feels stable but hurts a little. I'm not pushing myself, just stepping over to get a towel or something.

Ice is indeed my friend...thanks to all who keep saying this, I believe you!

So yesterday, I opened the windows about 4 inches...get some air...the cats were thrilled! Then I heard a crash! One had rolled out the window, popped the screen! There's a deck right under the window, so she wasn't hurt. I was home alone and went outside to see who disappeared...the cat is on the porch and I can't pick her up! Now what to do? They're indoor cats and we have wildlife here that would get them...I tried calling her, enticing her on a chair...nothing worked...and then I panicked. What a ridiculous thing!! My phone was inside so I couldn't call for help. Finally I abandoned the cat to get the phone and hear her yowling for me...she came inside right away after that!!

Just to show you how a little thing can count when you can't do much!!
 
It is amazing how innovative we can be when need arises. We had a cat for 17 years and I still miss her -such personalities!
I was cold for the first three weeks but that has pretty much gone now in week 4. I wore a down vest all day!
It is frustrating dealing with all these new bodily reactions.
Best!
Diane
 
@salsss I just had visions of your cat sitting on the porch as you disappeared inside to fetch your phone... with a "don't leave me out HERE, there's things that can get me" look on her face; they aren't stupid, she knew where she was best off - bet she's stayed close since :heehee:

You sound like you're doing great in your recovery. You echoed a thought I had early in my recovery; we are so worried before surgery about how we'll deal with the pain/disability/discomfort we'll experience post surgery (well I certainly was) and don't credit the fact that (if we are suffering from bone on bone OA for example) we are dealing with a considerable amount of all those things PRE op!! I found from Day 0 that some things were easier, and certainly less painful, than they had been right up to getting on the bed to get my IV in! I said in one of my early recovery posts that the only thing that felt "odd" the first time I stood up and used the hip (a few hours after surgery) was that it didn't FEEL "odd" - I was expecting.... well something :rotfl: and it just felt stable...and painless.

I think we concentrate so much on getting things in place to deal with the post op issues we hear about (and need to know!), we don't realize we're planning for THOSE "problems" at a time when we already have problems... ones that at least some of which will be gone once the painful joint is gone; so we think of them as extra issues whereas in fact some at least are substitute problems: For instance I had the sleep-on-my back-precaution, I tried to practice beforehand - which was a good idea and worth doing, but I found it really uncomfortable as my leg wouldn't lay flat... first thing I noticed on waking after surgery was that my leg was FLAT! So when I was trying to work out pre surgery how I'd "cope" with back sleeping I had factors in play that didn't exist post op. I, naturally, was worried about post op pain, I can honestly say it was NEVER worse than pre op pain.... that said I was happy when it stopped altogether :heehee: but when I was anticipating it I was thinking (without realizing) I would have that pain in addition to the pre op pain - I also to be quite honest didn't really realize how debilitating the daily pain had become.

I was very worried about the not bending too, and it was a nuisance for sure, but again I realized that I'd made a lot of adjustments to the way I did things to accommodate the arthritic hip - probably the only blessing of having a "frozen" joint - I had workarounds in place already without even knowing it. I was VERY stressed about breaking those restrictions, the OS that was going to do the surgery originally (long story, about a wimp with a hip:heehee:) called them restrictions, and made me very fearful about "breaking" them.

The OS that did the job, and it was pure chance that I got him to do it, called them "precautions" and just put the whole deal in better perspective for me. He essentially pointed out that it's a numbers game, if I bent past 90 degrees once I've risked dislocation once.... be pretty unlucky for it to happen in that one time, but if I bent past 90 degrees twenty times a day, well the chances are UP that a dislocation would happen. It is a sliding scale too... the further out from surgery the lower (the already VERY low) risk becomes. I had Posterior also, and 12 weeks of precautions... I was "over" them at the end, I won't lie, but it was really good to feel that I was in control of it; so much in this process happens TO us... it's nice to feel you did something positive towards your recovery.

So, not picking up your cat from the floor was a good decision :cool: but if you HAD to do something that "violates" precautions don't be terrified that it's BOUND to result in a dislocation... if some of that wildlife were heading your way, I'd be bendin' is what I'm sayin' :wink:

Hope your recovery continues apace
Donna:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @craftdee, I totally agree with you re restrictions/precautions. I spent the first little while paranoid about any little move - was it a slightly sidewards move - was I about to dislocate etc. I calmed down when I read about the rates of dislocation and found that they were often caused by falls or extreme twisting. A neighbour of mine dislocated when she slipped one foot in and one foot out of the bath for example. My surgeon explained how the joint was heavily tested in surgery, pulled in every direction. I know this is true as my joints are hypermobile and I got bruising down to my ankle!

Hello @salsss just realised hijacking your post. Apologies!
Your cat scenario is so serious and yet sounds like a comedy sketch, almost as if your cat was testing you! Have you got over the brain fog? Have you stopped the oxy... yet? I was just going to say that the reaction to oxy was my worst bit in the whole process, then I thought no x was worse, then y was worse. This goes to show how brave and good at coping we all are! I am sure you will love some of the next bits in the process, when you notice all sorts of new things that you can do which creep up on you! x
 
Let me tell you...when I woke up from surgery I was ALL SMILES!! And that feeling continued for a long time!! It was the immeasurable relief from the prior pain. Bet they thought I was crazy!! (well...)

If someone had videotaped me clonking around on the deck chasing that cat... :) A few weeks ago we had a big owl hanging out...even perching on the deck. Yum yum!! :)

I'm trying to get off all pain meds...but just had to take a tramadol. I took 3 oxy's yesterday and I hope none today. I feel more pain but it's not that bad. Fingers crossed! Don't mind the pain meds except for the constipation...which trumps the minimal pain any day!

And...when restrictions are violated, we feel it and stop. Right? I feel the midline cross and correct myself before moving the leg any more. Our bodies usually protect us, right?
 
@salsss One of the first things I packed was ear plugs and an eye mask someone posted about the noise and lights going on all the time. I send you healing hugggs xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom