Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My Revision June 5, 2020

It would appear that the person reading the results of your bone scan is recommending a more detailed "triple phase bone scan" for you. It is used to diagnose fractures, osteomyelitis (bone death as a result of infection - an indication of loosening), and other bone problems when they don't show on other imaging. The uptake around your components may also indicate some level of loosening. It will be best to hear what the surgeon has to say tomorrow. I hope he has some options for you instead of just adopting a "wait and see" treatment. I can certainly understand your frustration with all this. Don't give up. Keep asking questions and stressing that something needs to be done due to the impact on your functionality.
 
Last edited:
I'm so sorry your going through this. I've been there myself. You have to be persistent with physicians and their staff. But you have to do it delicately. Its a tough balance. Strong enough to let them know your in pain and somethings wrong, but not telling them what you want done.

I found using the Patient Portal to give a detailed summery of what was going on, then asking them 'what should I do?' seemed to work best for me. When you play phone tag sometimes you get rattled and leave things out. By typing them out they know exactly what you are dealing with. Hopefully that will start the process moving along.

We know our bodies and you know somethings not correct. Man, do I understand that.
 
Welcome to Bonesmart!

I had that lateral, (outside) popping feel in my early recovery, too. The skin on that area has been numb for years, so no pain on the outside. But, to push on it, it is still tender. I agree that you should stop exercising and just use your knee in your daily activities. If it is a tendon that's angry, exercising it will just continue to anger it. It could be that when you felt that strong pop, that the tendon was strained. Rest and ice is the best thing for it.

Was this popping when you walked? I'm at almost 4 months and have a tendon that pops with each step and also when doing heel slides. It started almost immediately with walking and prob 2 1/2 months in on heel slides. It makes the area very source, if I walk much, so I don't. The doctor isn't sure why and just keeps telling me to hang in there. It's getting very frustrating. I had hoped to be walking for exercise by now. I have looked everywhere for similar problems and you are the only one I've found, so far.
 
Hoping your appointment went well today and you were able to get some answers.
 
Update 3/4/2020 - MRI showed nothing. Had a bone scan last week, have appointment with OS tomorrow. Curious if anyone can help explain the results? Under Conclusions it states "Possible triple phase bone scan of the left knee consistent with either inflammatory process or prosthesis loosening." Under Findings it has info under BLOOD FLOW IMAGES, BLOOD POOL IMAGES, DELAYED IMAGES, and WHOLE BODY IMAGES. The most pertinent I see is "tracer uptake around the femoral, tibial and patellar components. Degree of uptake is slightly more than expected for 1 year old surgery".
At this time I am in a LOT of pain. I can't stand longer than 5 minutes. Walking is very hard (I walk peg leg). Sitting in regular seated position is even painful; I have a desk job and can barely get through the day. Any ideas, or experiences with this?



@CUFlygirl

Since the radiologist who read the results is having difficulty coming to a conclusion perhaps getting someone else's opinion to read the results would be worthwhile since the radiologist will not commit to a forthright conclusion. Not only that but what does your new OS say about it?
Just offering a suggestion here. What could it hurt?
 
Last edited:
Hi all. Had revision of a loose replacement, so 7 weeks post op. My current state is walking with a cane, but practicing without one. I do walk around the house without it as much as possible. Doing my PT as assigned, no more, no less. I don't have the pain I had in the original surgery (that was pure torture), but this isn't easy. I have great flexion at 125-8. I can ride my stationary bike easily.

I'm having problems with walking as I feel wobbly and unstable. Not the implant, but it seems like the muscles just don't want to engage enough. I was wondering about the experience of others. Thanks!
 
@CUFlygirl
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Welcome back, glad you finally received a revision, and are feeling better.
You will find your copy of the recovery articles in post #3.

I feel wobbly and unstable.
Suggest you use a cane or other assistive device for stability and to promote a normal gait. There is no rush to walk without a device as long as you are feeling unstable.
Your PT can help you with your balance and stability, and with time you will feel better walking with out any device.
 
Back
Top Bottom