MUA My new left knee-has Athrofibrosis, what now?

I do hope these procedures will help! :console2:
 
It sounds like you are on the road to recovery. I know you are glad this is behind you and looking forward to the future!
 
Oh it's so good to have a team focused on function rather than numbers!!!! May 2024 be your time to truly heal. :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Hopefully the stiffness and swelling abate soon and you get your wish to be pain free and waking without a limp in 2024. I'm rooting for you! :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
@Cinders2023
 
Hello Cinders,
It's been two months since your last procedure and we haven't heard from you in awhile.
Hopefully all is well and you're enjoying steady progress. Please consider an update as time allows, we'd love to hear from you. Wishing you all the best!
@Cinders2023
 
A lot has happened in the last few weeks……at my 6 week follow up I was reaching near 0 extension (when stretching before measuring) and 110 degrees of flex. I cannot lock my knee when walking so my surgical leg is slightly shorter than the other leg. I was also walking on the outside of my feet (supinating) so I was fitted for new shoe inserts. This was beginning to help with my right side foot/hip/low back pain. OS said I may or may not continue to improve over next 6 weeks, but would not look for improvement beyond that. I do notice the improvement in ROM but still feel the tightness in the knee. We had both hoped for tightness to be better, but although it was initially improved immediately after surgery the tightness creeps back in.
Then the next week on Friday, I was standing in the living room on my surgery leg and went to scoot the dog bed with the foot of my good leg. This is something I do often with the shower mat as I can stand, but not push or pull with the foot of my surgical leg. Suddenly my knee gave out and I went down on my bottom with my foot still on the floor. I heard a ripping sound and was in an incredible amount of pain. I had to call my husband home to help me up off the floor and went to urgent care To get checked.

Xrays looked good and I was advised to wear a brace that wouldn’t allow lateral movement and not bear weight until I spoke to my OS. That took 3 days. After talking to OS he did not think I tore the MCL, but only sprained it. Likely gave myself a manipulation WITHOUT the benefit of anesthesia. I can wear the brace for support and rx’d some pain medication and cleared to continue ROM and walking as tolerated. It’s been 3-1/2 weeks and it is still pretty tender, but I’m gently working to not lose ROM to scar tissue sticking back together.

I had an in person visit with the OS who did my original surgery and he basically said continue strengthening exercises, and check back in in 6 months to let him know how I am feeling. We discussed at length what he felt my options were if my results were not tolerable. The only thing he could suggest (but didn’t recommend) was to remove the upper portion of the implant, larger spacer to try to allow for better movement. Although he doubted I could have a sensitivity to the metal, he did say it was worth investigating if we were looking at removing/replacing components. Also told me he understood if I wanted to choose a different surgeon to do it.:loll:Bet he hopes I don’t want him to do anything else to this jacked up knee of mine.

I’m almost 15 months from my original surgery and just ready to close the chapter on everything revolving around my stupid knee. I know the fall will set me back a bit, but hoping I can get to a point where I can not be in constant pain. I am focused on getting stronger and getting some excess weight off and get back to living. I had my 3rd grand baby born 3 weeks ago, a girl this time! So I have better things to think about!
 
@Cinders2023
Sorry to hear about your MWA, must have been quite a shock with how fast something like that can happen.
Take it easy and let your knee heal.

Suggest you take your surgeons advice and seek a second or maybe third opinion before making any decisions about your knee.

Hoping you knee heals well from this latest fall and you can get on with your life.

Chris
 
Oh my that had to be scary!!!
Be kind to your poor knee - back to rest, ice, and elevation. I hope your pain can be adequately managed on appropriate meds as well - have you asked about this?
 
bet you can't wait to get your hands on her.
:shocked:Her mom goes back to work in 3 more weeks! I’ll be keeping her and brothers age almost 2 & almost 4, two days a week while daddy is at school. I may need my head examined!

I hope your pain can be adequately managed on appropriate meds as well
OS did give me a small amount of meds I am using only when I absolutely have to. I should probably be icing more tho. Good idea.

Suggest you take your surgeons advice and seek a second or maybe third opinion before making any decisions about your knee.
Agreed. I have no expectation that my problems can be solved with more surgery unless i have a reason for why I had such a crummy outcome on a knee that looks like it should work fine according to the X-rays! Just going to give it some time to see how it goes after my last spill.
 
Sorry to read about the fall. Frightening!
Congrats on the newest addition to the family.
Her mom goes back to work in 3 more weeks! I’ll be keeping her and brothers age almost 2 & almost 4, two days a week while daddy is at school. I may need my head examined
Oh the fun you'll have. :) You'll probably need a good nap after daddy picks them up each time.:sleep:
 
Hello Cinders, :wave: It's three months to date since your MUA. I hope you're doing well.
I'll bet its getting close to your grandmother babysitting commitment. Hopefully you're feeling up to it and enjoy
time with those precious babes. A great rest of the week to you! :)
@Cinders2023
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom