Fusion My Mom Is Facing Knee Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can hardly believe this! What a beautiful story. And to think how the previous surgeons had given up and what they were planning to do. It all depends upon getting to the right chap with the right expertise. God be praised!

mom's surgery was cancelled yesterday. Mom had to receive blood Platelets prior to surgery. Mom did not have enough platelets in her blood, so she needed to have a blood platelet transfusion. Within 5 minutes she went into an allergic reaction for her face began to swell up, turn purple, and her lungs started to close up so she could barely breathe. In other words it looked like she went into anaphylaxis shock. They immediately gave her a shot of epinephrine and benedryl. This opened up her lungs to be able to breathe again and calmed down the itching and redness and puffiness. But their are also repercussion of an Epi shot. So unfortunately when mom did calm down from the allergic reaction she then went right into the side affects of that. So she experienced headaches, vomiting (in which they gave her medicine for that so that stopped right away) nervousness, tremors/shaking, and panic. So they then shot her up with two doses of Ativan. Well between the benedryl and the ativan she was pretty zonked out. It took a good hour though for her to stop shaking. she fell asleep shaking but after a good hour or a little more she relaxed. She had a low grade temp which they said was normal. I got her to eat dinner and some dessert and even though she slept between bites she did eat it. As of right now they are running a cat scan and a bone marrow scan. They will put her to sleep for this or give her something that makes her so sleepy she'll fall asleep. They are also looking at her blood under the microscope to further investigate hemolytic anemia, and if she has a tendency to have clumping of the platelets. Back in July her hematologist at home questioned whether she had hemolytic anemia and just treated her anyway with predizone. she has been off the predizone now for 2 months b/c her labs have been good. But this Hematologist here wants to really dissect the issue JUST to make sure there isn't ANYTHING missing ya know. Its the key feature to properly diagnose mom's blood issue she seemed to have back then and seems to be having now. So I'm praying he doesn't see anything severe. After all this is done, and all turns out OK and has a plausible solution, then the orthopedic can then begin to prep mom for surgery. I have no idea how it will all work out. I just have to trust God that it will.

Oh my, Jen. I'm so sorry you've had this setback, but I am VERY thankful your mom is in such great hands. I do believe these folks will thoroughly check things out to give you peace of mind.

I'm keeping you in my prayers, hon.....this is quite a journey for both of you.

Oh my gosh! That is so rare. I'm so sorry you and your mother had to go through this. Hang in there - you're in the right place. They did all the right things and seem very much on top of this. It will work out okay.

Jenn's Mom looked so good today! I visited with them for a couple of hours and she is doing so well! We even took pictures!:whis:
I am so proud of Nancy and her ability to keep God in the picture no matter what. My Mom asked her if she was afraid to go on with the knee surgery, and she said, "no, God is always in control!" What an awesome faith that She and Jenn both have!

Thanks for the update, Sonja....I'm glad Jen's mom is doing better now.

Jen-butting in here reading this now, but your mention of your mom's platelet issues caught my eye. I have an autoimmune bleeding disorder called Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP for short), where I make the platelets fine but my body destroys them. WHenever I've had surgery (or been pregnant), my platelets always have to be monitored. It was discovered literally in the ER right before my 1st csection and I had to get a platelet transfusion, which I've since learned, is a temporary help during the surgery. And I got a fever in the recovery room afterward. Since then, I've had 2 more csections and 6 (about to be 7) knee surgeries having this disorder. A very helpful site for platelet disorders is the Platelet Disorder Support Association:

http://www.pdsa.org/

I hope your mother can get fixed soon. I can only imagine how she/you must be feeling and doing.

Edited for a typo I noticed a while later.

Thank you for offering that support, Caroline.

But I had to chuckle - in the UK the PDSA is the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals! :snk:

Thank you Caroline. I will look into that. Well Ladies, she is IN SURGERY! as i type. They didn't even have to do platelets today. Don't know why but i'm sure they know what their doing. I'm feeling calm and at peace. I know it will be alright. I am so excited to see her with a new knee, even if i can't technically see it. They said by tonight they want her to atleast stand on it. Tomorrow they will have her try and take a few steps. Unbelievable what they can do here. I'm sad to go home tomorrow and i wish i could stay on for more time to watch her recover and learn to walk but i have to go back to my family. They miss me greatly as i do them. My dad will be up this Sunday and staying for a week or more to be with mom. The joy they will have together as she takes a step more each day. I long for the day when i pick her up from the airport (or come back to texas to get her) and i see her on her own two feet (knees) It will be one of the best days of my life.

Thank you thank thank you all for your support and help. I love you all so much.

Jen

PS. how do i post pics of sonja, moms, and I on here???

There is a thread in the Forum Tech, How To Use The Forum area:

How to post photos

I'm so happy to hear your Mom has been cleared for surgery! Please keep posting to let us know how she is.....I'm sending good wishes your way.

Jen,

I have a daughter your age also named Jennifer, of whom I.m very proud. I'm sure your mother is proud of you and so very grateful you have been there for her to make her ordeal less difficult. Now you can find solice when you go home, in the fact that she will be on a fast track to a healthly recovery. Best wishes for you, your mom and your whole family.

Thanks Bill. That was very sweet of you to say such. My mom is my best friend and being here with her has been wonderful and will bond us together even closer.

She is still in there. No word yet. no news is good news i'm hoping.

Okay! I uploaded two pictures of our reunion with Sonja! It was so great to spend time with her and her mother. They are such a blessing to us. To me, Sonja is my angel.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 233
Jen....GREAT photos!!! I hope those smiles keep on comin'!!!

SHE IS OUT!!! :snork: :snork: :snork: :snork: :dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy: :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Surgeon said it was a great success and he needed to only cut along the same line. He said she did VERY well. He was very pleased. He took samples and under the scope so far they see NO infection. They hope to get her up and taking a few steps TOMORROW. unfortunately i leave tomorrow early am. But my dad will be up Sunday. Praise God she is ok! ok gonna go see her now. i'll update ya'all later!!

Jennifer, Praise God! Nancy is a wonderful example of God's love for all of us! It has been so great getting to know both of you! I look forward to seeing your Mom next week and meeting your Dad! I am sorry that I won't see you, but perhaps we can find a way to meet again! :snk:

Take care and keep in touch!:th_console:

Well, dash my rags! Isn't this something? :th_jumpy:

Okay! I uploaded two pictures of our reunion with Sonja! It was so great to spend time with her and her mother. They are such a blessing to us. To me, Sonja is my angel.

The uploaded picture of us from left to right goes, Jen, her Mom (Nancy), Sonja, and my Mom Leona.

Then the other picture is of Nancy and Sonja
:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back