Fusion My Mom Is Facing Knee Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jen, our prayers have been answered. I'm so happy about your mom's surgery. I look forward to additional reports.....hugs to you all!!

Well, I should have known that, really! The likeness between you and your mother is remarkable! Thanks.

Well, I should have known that, really! The likeness between you and your mother is remarkable! Thanks.

Well Thanks Jo! My eyes are the color of my Dad's, and I picked up his sense of humor! :snk:

My Mom and Sister and I look a lot alike. I have more of Dad's facial features or so people tell me. I just know that I love Mom and I loved Dad very much!:wink:

Mom continues to do prettty well. Although tonight for the first time she struck up a fever. Infectious Disease doctor came by and said he is not worried about it being staff. They have her on telavancin antibiotic and on a HIGH dose. Doctor did a urine sample and hopefully all it is, is a UTI. Never thought i'd be praying to God for it to be a UTI and not something worse. She was supposed to start Rehab tomorrow in Dallas (she decided to stay there for 6-8 weeks, I thought a wise choice) but now with the fever she will remain in the hospital until its diagnosed and under control. But she is walking on the walker everyday, learning to use her new knee. Each day she reports its easier and the "burn" has lessened. The crazy thing is, social work department and infectious disease PA have been trying to get mom over to this rehab and she keeps getting denied. This has been going on for a week. It got so frustrating and we couldn't understand why another road block in the recovery process....well....NOW we know why...b/c it was meant for her to stay in the hospital b/c if it IS a UTI, doctor thinks she's had it for a while. I don't know why I keep under estimating God and thinking my plan is better. ha! i'm such a dope.

I think the hardest thing for mom is everytime she feels funny or something, she panics; thinking its the MRSA popping up. I can understand that. In 2008 i suffered severely from Meningitis and for 2 years following, anytime i would get a headache i'd panic! I'd think it was the Meningitis on the move again. So it will take time for the worry and anxiety to go away. I am hoping she can maybe get some kind of counseling or therapeutic support when she gets home to help alleviate her panic.

Sonja was able to come back this past week and spend time with mom. She got to meet my dad too. My dad and her husband got along famously. Sonja met with the infectious disease doctor too. I'll let her fill you in on her status. If mom continues to be help up, they might meet again. Mom and I have made lifetime friends with Sonja and her family. I had the pleasure of meeting her mother and her sister as well. Such a wonderful family. Its so absolutely incredible and amazing how this all worked out. How in my first neurotic post I had no idea what to do. I remember writing that, crying most of the time i typed, having no clue how to help my mom. Spending hours online trying to find answers. How i just happened to land on bonesmart without even trying to. How i first vented on a forum that was months old, maybe years. But yet you guys found me, gave me that "push" i needed. I know i keep saying it but THANK YOU ALL!!

Pray for my mom that her fever is just a result of a minor UTI. As soon as i find out i'll be sure to update ya'all.

Night!

Aw Jen - what a lovely story! I am really delighted that things are working out for you. God led you here, no mistake! :THUMB:

Jen, we have really enjoyed getting to know your family too! It is so nice to see God working through all of this! He has a plan, and He will see it through.

You are amazing! You have helped your Mom so much and I know that she really appreciates it!:biggrin:

Jen, your post made my day. Like Jo, I believe the hand of God led you here. It is so wonderful that your mom is doing this well....even with a UTI. Bless you all...you are a family of fighters!

Hello Everyone!:biggrin:

I have been keeping in touch with Jen and her Mom (Nancy) so I thought I would update Nancy's status!:WINK1:

Nancy is doing very well! They moved her to the rehab unit and she is asking them to up the amount of physical therapy they are doing with her!

I spoke with Nancy this evening and she was in great spirits! I am so proud of the progress she is making!:yes 4:

That is really fantastic news, Sonja. Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on Nancy's progress. Be sure and tell the family that we are thinking about them!

It's still amazing to me that things worked out this way....a real miracle!

Hello everyone! Mom is doing so well. She was delayed going to Rehab due to hospital Pneumonia but she is now in a great rehab facility and moving her knee everyday. She will be off the antibiotic for the Pneumonia as of tomorrow and then they will take her off the Televansion antibiotic that she has going through her central line on the 31st. I'm assuming they will put her back onto a lower antibiotic like bactruim. If all continues to go well they told her she can go home April 1st!!! I'm so excited to see her! I can't tell you how amazing she sounds on the phone. For a year now anytime i have talked to her i could hear in her voice that she was battling something (either physical or emotional). Now when i talk to her, her voice sounds like it always has over the years. Normal, crisp, clear, and collected. I've missed my mom so much over this year. I can't wait till she comes home and learns to get around again and hopefully DRIVE!!!!!!!!

I just will constantly pray everyday that this MRSA never comes out of hibernation and remains colonized forever!

Thank you all so much. Love and hugs to u all!

Your post made me smile big, Jen....I'm so happy for you and your mom. It most certainly IS a treat to get her back in your life as a healthy, happy person!!! Please continue the updates when you can. It's a beautiful success story.

Excellent! I am so delighted. What a result!

I talked to Nancy (Jen's) Mom a few days ago and she sounds so great! Nancy and Jen are such wonderful people and I am so thankful that the surgery turned out as well as it did! :prayer1:

Nancy left rehab in Dallas and flew home on March 20th. :biggrin:

Thanks for the wonderful update, Sonja. I hope we'll hear from Jen again soon too.

Hello Everyone! Mom is home and doing well. She is on a walker and is anxious to get herself to a cane so she practices walking with one hang on the walker. I tell her to just take her time but she's determined. ha! She has been ONLY using the wheelchair when she has to walk for a long time, otherwise she is wheel chair free. its so nice watching her walk into a restaurant. This is her last week of vanco and then next week she should get her central line taken out. She will probably go to doxycycline long term after. We go tomorrow to our infectious disease doc to talk about such. Its so great to have her back. Thank you again so much for keeping with me threw this. I just still can't believe it all happened. I am going to make an iMovie for her with anything i have over the year on it. When i'm all done i'll somehow send it to you guys. Hope you all are doing well. Thanks for being such a great online family to me! love you all!!

Jen, your mom is a true BoneSmart success story. I hope you do make the movie. I'm sure there will be a way to upload it to Jo or me. I would LOVE to see it!!!

Give your mom a hug for me. She is such an inspiration. May you have many wonderful and healthy years together.

Jen, I am so proud that your Mom has done so well! She is a super lady and I think the world of your family! God works miracles all the time and your Mom is living proof!

Amen! You know, I sent the link of this thread to Richard Warner and he was over the moon about it!
He said he teared up reading it!

Mom fell :( She was admitted Friday to the hospital and they found she has a compression fracture in her L2. Orthopedic doesn't feel surgery is the way to go right now so they are trying to re-evaluate her pain management so for right now she is in ICU due to being on heavy meds. So discouraging. I wonder what God's plan is now. Keep her in your prayers. Thanks guys. When I have more info i'll let you know. For now they want her resting comfortably until they can come up with the best game plan for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie