TKR My good knee is now my bad knee.

My GP was very gung-ho, "You'll be running into the surgery for your next appointment."
I had a colleague (knee surgeon) who said that he had no idea how complex recovery from TKR was until he nursed his father post op. He totally changed his approach with his patients based on that experience. I'll bet your surgeon has not seen this side of surgery.
 
This recovery is a long process. It takes, on average, a full year before most people are recovered, although people usually feel much better by around three months. It's quite hard to remain patient and let our bodies do the work needed to heal, but it's a necessary part of this recovery.

After my previous surgeries, I used a walker until I felt stable enough that I could use my cane without feeling like I was falling. Our house back then was very small, so I could reach out from anywhere and steady myself on a wall, counter or piece of furniture. Our new house is very large and there are many places where I walk that have nothing within reach to grab onto, or lean into, so I am going to use my walker for as long as it takes to feel quite stable. Not falling is more important to me than how long I end up using my walker or cane. My OS has told me he'll want me to use my walker for 4-6 weeks; that seems like a long time, but he's never steered me wrong, so unless he gives me the go-ahead to transition to my cane, I'll stick with it for the duration. I am having a different, but related, procedure this time, so that's likely why he's wanting a longer time with the walker than in the past.

When you feel strong enough, and stable enough, to put away your walker and move on to a cane, crutches, or no assistive device at all, that's the time to put it away. If you find yourself constantly forgetting assistive devices as you move about your house, that's a good indication that you are ready for the next phase. I remember I would grab my cane to walk, but after getting a drink, etc, I'd forget it, leaving it where I'd leaned it and just walk around. After doing that for a while, I put it away and would carefully walk around the house. But I used it outside my house for a while longer, as it can be challenging to walk in yards, stores and so on. A walking aid is a tool in your recovery, and there's no set -in-stone time frame for how long you'll need them. Each person is different; some need the help for many weeks, others not so long, but don't feel rushed to set them aside.
 
So I felt like a bit of a failure when that didn't happen :heehee:
This is exactly how I felt, and many of others do, too. It’s very unfair. Thankfully we have Bonesmart to help us.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jeg
@Jaycey

To be fair, it was my GP and not the surgeon who made the comment. I have my post-op appointment with the surgeon in a fortnight. I am hoping that he will be pleased with the result of his handiwork :):)
 
@lovetocookandsew

I felt a bit disappointed when I managed to leave hospital using only a cane but then had to revert to using a walker again. It's mainly because my house is split level, so to negotiate the single large step I was having to go up and down sideways, hanging onto the door frame. It is so much easier with the walker!

Thank you for the encouragement.
 
@Jockette

Yes, I'm very thankful to BoneSmart as well. I am learning that there is a huge variation in what is "normal"
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jeg
On the weekend I went on a 3-hour drive (each way) to visit close friends. I had a cushion next to my leg so my knee didn't bash against the car door and I also had my seat reclined. It wasn't really uncomfortable but I have had a lot of nerve pain right down my leg ever since then. I know I was probably unwise to go on such a long trip but it's done now.

Any ideas on what to do about the nerve pain? I am elevating and icing but sometimes the ice seems to make the pain worse.
 
Four weeks since my surgery. I am still using a walker to go from room to room. I have one step to negotiate and I use the mantra the physiotherapist in the hospital told me: "Bad leg down to hell and good leg up to heaven." But sometimes I'm not sure which leg is which because my non-surgical knee can feel very unstable. So that's why I'm still using the walker.

Positives: The only sore areas I have are my shin immediately below my knee cap (feels like nerve pain), the back of my knee (stiff and tender) and the front of my thigh (feels bruised). I use ice a couple of times a day but haven't needed pain meds for the past two weeks. I can stand in the shower and not need to use the shower chair. I can walk backwards, in circles, sideways, and put weight on my new knee while I step into pants rather than get dressed sitting down. I can do lots of housework with regular rest breaks.

Negatives: Still haven't figured out how to stop the burning pain in my heels. Still can't sleep in bed rather than in my recliner but that's mostly due to problems with my back. Resting and elevating my legs has become boring and I'm frustrated that I can't be "normal" yet.
 
This first month of recovery really is the hardest and you'll be through that soon.

I think your progress sounds about normal, so try not to get discouraged. It is a year-long recovery, so it demands a lot of patience.

Your knee knows what it's doing and it's going to recover on its own schedule, no matter what you (or anyone else) wish.

[Bonesmart.org] My good knee is now my bad knee.
Time taken to let your knee recover is time well spent.
 
I know I'm my own worst enemy, being a bit of a perfectionist, and I also have this voice in my head telling me I'm not actually sick, therefore I should be more active. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's almost as though I feel I don't deserve to take it easy. I have a very supportive partner who encourages me to rest and who will do anything for me. I just don't know why I have these negative thoughts.

I do get a lot out of reading what others are going through and knowing that there are a lot of us on this journey. If I hadn't joined this site I would probably be paying too much attention to a friend who has been through a few knee surgeries, and is still having problems, who keeps sending me messages saying, "Rehab, rehab and more rehab." :loll:
 
I know it doesn't make sense, but it's almost as though I feel I don't deserve to take it easy.
You most certainly do deserve to take it easy, that incision on your knee is proof that you have recently had one of the most major surgeries that you can have, and that gives you not only the right to take it easy, but your healing knee really wants you to take it easy. In this recovery, taking it easy doesn’t mean you are doing nothing, it means that you are caring for your healing knee and giving it the best opportunity in which to heal, and that means a lot.

"Rehab, rehab and more rehab."
For many of us this is not the appropriate way to take care of our healing knee, so I’m glad you are not listening to your friend. For many of us, less is more, in this recovery. Excessive rehab can cause more problems than it fixes. This is because:

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
I have had a bit of a setback and don't know what to do about it. Last night I went to get up from my recliner and my whole leg collapsed under me. I couldn't put any weight on it and had pain behind my knee. I am managing to shuffle to the bathroom and back with my walker but can't do anything else. I have to keep my leg bent or it hurts too much. The soreness actually goes from behind my knee up to my lower back, my thigh feels like it's bruised and even my toes feel kind of heavy and numb. It's like sciatica combined with someone punching me in the back of the knee.

It's now Saturday here, so of course I can't get to see my GP, and it's an hour and a half to the nearest hospital. I really don't want to go to the hospital if this is something that will fix itself. Any ideas about what this could be?
 
It's not unusual to have an unexplained setback. Sometimes I would wake up in the morning hardly being able to move my knee. I figured I must have done something in my sleep to aggravate it. You must have gotten up and twisted the knee a bit and it reacted with giving out and now you have extra pain. I suggest you do extra elevating and icing. It's perfectly ok to have a slight bend in your knee while you're elevating. Keeping it straight is too painful for most of us.
 
Thinking back to what I was doing before the back of my knee started hurting, I had done just a few straight leg raises. So now I'm wondering if I irritated something. All I'm doing today is elevating and icing, so hopefully that will help. If it's still really sore on Monday I will make an appointment with my doctor.

Thank you for your advice :)
 
Well, my knee is almost back to what it was a few days ago before I did something to aggravate it. I have been resting 90% of the time with my leg elevated, using ice packs and also rubbing anti-inflammatory ointment on the sore area at the back of my knee.

So it looks like I won't need to make an appointment with my doctor after all, which is great!
 
What good news to hear that you are doing much better now. That ice and elevation really works!
 
@sistersinhim

It sure does! I have found it also takes away the itch caused by the wound healing.

But that brings me to another question. I have a lot of dry flaky skin and scabs on my incision, and they keep catching on whatever pants I am wearing, and it's very irritating. I mostly wear soft thin pants made of t-shirt material but they still catch and pull a bit. At four and a half weeks post-op, I don't want to revert to any kind of bandage that might delay healing.

Any ideas? This must be a common problem!
 
Hi @TassieDiva ,

I saw my OS at my 6 week review, I had the same dry,flaky problem. He was happy for me to use Bio oil on my incision lines and all over my knee area.

They have stopped flaking now and it seems to help with the tightness too.

Hope that helps
 
I used the active scar shield/hydrogel after my revision, which helped keep my incision soft and it never flaked.
 
Thank you both for your replies!

It looks like a trip to a pharmacy is on the cards.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom