PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I can't get the picture of the wedge to load, a message comes up the photo is too big and doesn't give me any other options. I have to start the upload process before I get the thumbnail option and at that point it won't do that option, and it isn't resizing my picture automatically. I will keep working on it.

I did add a pad under my calf the last 2 nights and it did give me a bit more height which gave me a bit more of a gentle bend while my leg was up on the wedge.

Thanks also for the link to the how-to library!

@Celle after reading your reply to another thread (I'm not sure how to quote it) I'd like your opinion, since patellofemorals tend to not have a good track record, what should I pay attention to regarding mine in the future? If my surgeon feels something is not right should I go with his suggestions or seek another opinion?

I'm under the impression that second opinions are needed if one's current surgeon is not helping. But what if in the future my current surgeon feels it's time to revise to a total, should I let him do it or seek another opinion at that time? My surgeon did tell me before the surgery that once he got inside if he thought I needed a total it would be easy for him to do that instead.

I like my surgeon as far as personality goes, but he does not promote the Bonesmart way, but then I guess many US surgeons don't.
You don't always need a second opinion. If your surgeon also does TKRS with a good success rate and has done revisions from PF REPLACEEMENT successfully, you cold be OK STICKING with him.

See how you felt at that time.

Thanks, @Celle , as with a lot of others, this whole replacement has been way more than I bargained for. At almost 6 months I am still sorry I did it.

No one I spoke with who'd had a replacement told me about their recovery, just that it was the best thing they ever did and wished they'd done it sooner.

Before my surgery my surgeon's office's PA told me I'd be in the hospital one night, I'd use a walker for 2 weeks then a cane for 4 weeks, and I'd have PT for a couple of months. Not knowing any better I figured that when I was done with PT I'd be all better. It wasn't until I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op that I learned this recovery takes about a year, even a partial, and I thought I'd read a lot about partials before surgery but I now realize that reading was on orthopedic sites, not patient experiences.

I just wanted to fix the pain in my knee. I had no idea it would be so difficult.

Surgeons and medical staff advising TKR patients sure do drop the ball a lot when it comes to tell what recovery really consists of. My OS (love the guy) said it would be intense... but he also said I would use a walker for two weeks, use a cane in week three, and be walking unassisted in four weeks. That it took me five weeks is not the point. He didn't mention the pain (though I did bring it up and we discussed that), or that sleep would become elusive. The online class I viewed emphasized PT and the importance of getting off pain meds so as to get on with living. :nah: I was really happy I'd been hanging out here because I knew what was coming.

Yes, @SusieShoes, this forum has been a life saver and I love you all!!!

Finally got them to a size that would upload!

IMG_0568.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG

Wow, that IS unusual looking. I can see what you were talking about, though, that they made a cut for one leg. I like what you did with the pillow. I think it gives a better angle for your leg. :yay: And you say it's comfy?

Yes it is comfy. It was even before the extra pillow.

All knee replacements at the hospital I used get one. My surgeon really wanted me to use it. At my 2 week check up I told my surgeon that I didn't like it, at that early stage it was not comfortable, and he replied, nobody does. Then he added he never had anyone come back to ask where they could buy one of those things!

I've slept with my leg on it every night since that 2 week check up and now I really do like it. I've had very little outward swelling since 5 weeks post op. It also helps me lie still all night so there is no tossing and turning, therefore less pain at night for me.

Yes that's okay. Very okay!

@Josephine thank you!!

By the way the post above SusieShoes that says I posted it is not mine, that is not my story. The pictures are mine though. I think it may have been a quote gone wrong. Can I delete it as it's confusing to my thread?

I edited out the narrative below your images that wasn't yours. Not sure how it got there, but it's gone now!

Thank you!

I don't seem to be recovering from my major set back last month. July 21-23 we went away for the weekend and our friend's house had only the lower, standard height toilets and I really stressed my knee getting on and off them all weekend. My rom is still drastically reduced. While standing, if I try to gently lift my foot up behind me I can barely get my foot up off the floor.

Two weeks ago my son got married and there were several days of wedding activities and I wasn't able to ice and elevate as I usually did, so that added stress to an already stressed knee.

The past few days especially the back of my calf feels very tight and swollen but I can't see any swelling.

4 days ago I took a half mile walk around my neighborhood and ever since then my knee just doesn't feel right. Sometimes it's ok and other times it feels like the kneecap is pushed forward and/or down a bit and feels awkward when I walk. No pain but just a weird uncomfortable sensation. I am so scared something is wrong.

I really thought I would have recovered from those setbackby now. I am almost 6 months post op.

My activity level is low, sometimes I think I don't do enough. But our bowling league has started up so starting last week I am bowling 3 games twice a week, using a light, 8 lb ball. Bowling does not seem to stress my knee and it something I really enjoy doing.

I am hoping that with time and patience my knee will sort itself out.

Have you talked to your OS about your fears? That might help set your mind at ease. Maybe @Celle will have some insight. I suspect swelling could explain the sensations you're having. A short walk should be all right at this point. Bowling, on the other hand, could be challenging because of crouching at the end of your approach. That might be what's aggravating your knee. Do you have a deep crouch?

No, I don't, I do not approach the line like I did before surgery, I just carry my ball, holding it center front and close to my body, then I put my operated leg just a bit in front of me and throw the ball, only bending slightly from the waist. I started bowling, carefully, at 12 weeks post op, ( June 6)and gradually increased the number of games over the next 6 weeks and did fine. I did take 3 weeks off in August because I wasn't recovering from that weekend at our friend's house. I really don't think it's the bowling. If it was I think it would have showed up in June.

And no, I have not talked with my surgeon. He tells me to do things that Bonesmart says not to, so to be honest, my trust in him is not what it was before surgery.

Well, you've relieved my fear about the bowling. I'm a bowler and haven't tried at all to resume that activity. Without my crouch, my average is likely to be 90. :heehee: I figure to start up again later on.

I know you've talked with @Celle, but I'm going to tag her again because she has far better insight into a PKR. Recovery from a knee surgery can take up to a year or more, so you can still look forward to more improvement.

Ha, my bowling average in the league last year was a 121. My first game post op on June 6, my score was 70. But, I did get a strike halfway through! Obviously luck, but a strike is a strike.
My average this summer was 99.

And I was so excited the first time I could tie my own bowling shoes!

Hi Jockette,
I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with your knee.

My first instinct is to suggest that you stop all activities except the essential for at least 3 weeks and concentrate on doing as much resting, icing and elevating as you can. I agree with SusieShoes that swelling is the most likely cause.

If that doesn't help, do go and see your surgeon, He may not follow the BoneSmart way, but he is probably a competent surgeon. If he can't suggest a cause, you will still have other options, but do try him first.

Thank you, @Celle, I will do that.

Do post op blues continue at the 6 month post op time frame? I would think post op blues "should" have ended a while ago, but I still cry very easily and at times get angrier than the situation warrants.

Jockette, I think that the post-op blues can potentially continue until we are fully recovered after at least a year. For me, there are many things that I want to be able to but can't just yet, and the fact that I still have to rest and ice is not a fun thing. My suggestion would be to cut yourself some slack, and whatever you feel is what you should be feeling. Better days are on the horizon!:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom