Knee Infection* My dilemma.

Hello Chrissyann,
Welcome back. I am sorry you're struggling with knee pain today. Are you aware of any activity you may have engaged in that could be causing the discomfort you described? It's a possibility you're dealing with aggravated soft tissue around the knee. The muscles and tendons can become inflamed if irritated by recent activity. My best advice would be to ice the area, rest, take OTC meds as needed and you can always touch base with your surgeon's office it it doesn't improve.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I hope some TLC in the form of rest brings you speedy relief, or you achieve peace of mind through communicating with your OS's office if you feel the need.
Wishing you lots of comfort. :console2:
@Chrissyann
 
Welcome back to BoneSmart. So sorry your knee is hurting. My guess is what Layla suggests....that you've done something to irritate the soft tissues. It's even possible to twist it or sleep on it in an awkward position and get pain the next morning. Ice the swelling, rest and elevate your leg. Take an anti-inflammant (NSAID) if they don't upset your stomach. If you have pain, you can take paracetemol - up to 1000mg per dose every 6 hours. Just don't exceed the maximum of 4000mg in any 24 hour period (counting all over the counter meds that also have acetaminophen in them).

Let us know how you get along in the next week or so.
 
Last January 1st, i woke up to a sore swollen knee. I had my knee replaced in may 2018. After visits X-rays a nuclear imaging and on Friday a arthroscopy, I’m waiting for the results of the samples. With 11 months
of pain and suffering I’m wondering if anyone else has been the 1 in a 100 to go through this?
 
I am so sorry to hear this. How sore and swollen did your knee get?

My brother is going through this now. He had his right knee replaced ~2015 or 2016 and it got sore and swollen out of nowhere last summer. He saw his doc who aspirated a sample and sent that to an infection specialist, who for some reason could not grow a culture... but nevertheless diagnosed an infection. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me but that's all I know about it. He had the first surgery last Monday to insert antibiotic spacers and now will be getting IV antibiotics for 6 weeks, then a new knee. He is in pretty good spirits considering. He has no idea what happened.

Last January 1st, i woke up to a sore swollen knee. I had my knee replaced in may 2018. After visits X-rays a nuclear imaging and on Friday a arthroscopy, I’m waiting for the results of the samples. With 11 months
of pain and suffering I’m wondering if anyone else has been the 1 in a 100 to go through this?
 
Last edited:
I'm so sorry this has happened and wish I had advice to give. Please continue to let us know how you're doing.
 
I hope the arthroscopy will be helpful, and/or explain what’s going on and get to a good outcome.
 
Ive had two knee replacements in 2018. My right knee has developed an infection, I’m unfortunately one out of a hundred unlucky ones. I had an arthroscopic operation on Friday and I’m awaiting the results. The infection started 1st of January this year with swelling, pain, and loss of movement. I’m hoping that antibiotic treatments can prevent further surgery. If anyone has been through this I’d appreciate some advice.
 
I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:
 
I am so sorry to read about your knee infection. Please let us know how you are and what your results are. We will be here to help you through it.
 
I’d appreciate any help with my problem, thank you. I had a nuclear bone scan on the 8th December and an arthroscopic procedure on the 8th, the surgeon said he will be in contact with me in the new year with results.
I’ve been doing a lot of research and it looks like I’m facing a revision, I have all the signs of a chronic infection. It was January 1st that I noticed stiffness, swelling, heat and pain, a test had shown high white blood counts, X-rays showed no problems with my prothesis. Fast forward to December after waiting 11 months for an arthroscopic test a nuclear bone scan, blood etc I’m still waiting. I’m quite nervous to hear the results and dread the thought of going through a tkr again. I’d love to go through this with your help. thank you.
 
We will definitely be here for you. Do you have an infectious disease doctor on your case? I think it would be beneficial for you to seek one out.
 
I’m quite nervous to hear the results and dread the thought of going through a tkr again. I’d love to go through this with your help. thank you.
Aww, I am so sorry! My heart goes out to you in your anxiety, Chrissyann. Big hugs :console2:
Of course we'll walk alongside you as you journey through. Please keep us posted, we'll be here.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind.
 
Hello, thank you for replying im so pleased to have you beside me. I do have an infection and have been referred to a specialist. So it looks like I’ll be having a two stage surgery at some stage. Let’s keep in touch we can swop our experiences.
I had my first tkr in 2018, it was really painful and I thought at the time I hope I never have to go though this again, it was a shock. Here I am 6 years later wondering how I’ll cope with this ordeal.
It’s very strange but my left tkr wasn’t so bad, also replaced In 2018, i think it’s because I took your advice and did normal exercises, nothing stressful, it healed beautifully.
Thank you and look forward to following you @Jday . Layla thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot.
 
I'm glad you have a diagnosis and am so sorry it means going through the two surgeries.

Is there an infectious disease specialist who will consult with the surgeon? Our members with infections have found that their input on the medication end of things made a hugely positive difference in treatment.
 
I do have an infection and have been referred to a specialist.

It's a good thing you have a specialist on your team now. I pray for your quick recovery from this new diagnosis.
 
Chrissyann,
As discouraging as the misfortune of infection feels, know that there are many that have moved through this two stage process before you successfully. Jday just shared above that she will also be undergoing a revision due to infection and you’ll have the support of many whenever you’re in need. Hopefully things will be scheduled soon and 2024 will bring about complete and perfect healing for you.
Please keep us posted.
@Chrissyann
 
It’s been a long journey to find a result, well over a year. The symptoms were there from the beginning, pain, swelling, hot flushes, a very warm knee, most of all tiredness. My appointments were few and far between, I had to fight to get them.
Eventually they found a bacterium that’s quite rare in knees. So if anyone else has experienced it, I would appreciate some help. It’s a streptococci infection gemella morbellorum. I can’t find much information as the moment, I’m sure the new team will have everything in hand. Thank you for listening.
 
We'll be here for you, Chrissyann, so please stop by whenever you feel the need.
Best Wishes.
@Chrissyann
 
That’s very comforting, thank you. If afraid there is no update, I’ve not been informed if I have a consultant or if they have even received my referral. I’ve been informed it’s been passed on. It’s most alarming as I’ve been doing some research about the infection. I wonder if it’s okay to leave an infection for 13 months? Is it dangerous, I’ve got no idea. I’m quiet with my pain and discomfort, but it’s there and it causes me anxiety. There is no one to ask or find out any information. So I wait.
Best wishes.
 
Back
Top Bottom