Guest viewing is limited

THR My 2nd hip, 7 years after the first one, recovery going well

Great! I'm so looking forward to being able to turn over.
 
4 weeks and 3 days out. Still have a small amount of tenderness/discomfort when standing up from sitting for a while, and taking initial steps. But today it seemed to be less, I'm sure it will get better as time passes, I am just so impatient! I got back on my assault bike (stationary bike) last week, and the rower as well, no problems or difficulties at all. Felt completely normal. (Dr told me last time that the bike would be my best friend, before AND after surgery, and he's been absolutely correct.) This morning I took my bike out - BF is training for a 1/2 marathon so I rode part of the way to give him some water breaks. Only did 7 miles, but it was hot as you-know-what and windy too, so it was a workout - but I survived. :) Next weekend we are going camping!!
 
3 weeks and 3 days out.
Went to the park with BF yesterday - he ran 9 miles, I walked 3, and felt pretty good. That's the furthest I have walked in one shot. Probably the hardest thing was getting in his darn truck - he has this teeny little step and his truck is tall enough I have to pull myself in - I think we both forgot about that LOL.
Went and had a pedicure last night - that felt AWESOME! Highly recommend it. :ok:
Did a little yardwork yesterday too. Still not sleeping on surgical side, but hoping that will feel "right" soon. Better with each day!
 
Wow! Only 3 weeks out and you are doing yard work! That is incredible. My surgery is tomorrow morning, LTHR, and I am planning on taking 8 weeks off work. Even if I physically can get around, I feel I need both the physical internal body healing as well as the psychological healing so I am not in a hurry to get back to the stress of my job. Life is too short and I hardly have ever taken any time off for myself. I have my walker ready, crutches and a cane so ready to go from one piece of equipment to the next in my healing process. I have my first PT session scheduled for Friday morning. Before that time, I will do my expected exercises at home and the walking sessions. At least this is the plan. Thank you so much for sharing your recovery. It is very encouraging to hear how well you are progressing.
 
Wow! Only 3 weeks out and you are doing yard work! That is incredible.

Thanks - I want to be clear, I am careful and do not attempt anything that feels unsafe or unsteady. I am not trying to encourage anyone to do anything that they should not be doing - I really want to make that clear. Everyone recovers at their own individual rate and should listen to their own medical professionals for guidance. Since this is my 2nd go-round, I had a suspicion (hope) that this recovery would be relatively quick, like the first one. My surgeon had told me then that I would have an easier time of it than most, simply due to the fact that I was still very active and in good physical condition. I think it helps others to know that this surgery does not always have to be the long awful recovery that some do (unfortunately) experience.

I hope that your surgery goes well and that you are up and about soon!
 
Last edited:
5.5 weeks out and feeling great. Went camping this long weekend and did no less than 12000 steps each day, and did over 15,000 yesterday. I did make sure to wear good shoes all weekend - that really helps. Lots of hills at the campground so lordy I got in a LOT of leg exercise. My son, my nephew, and my BF all did a half-marathon yesterday, and though of course I was not able to participate, I did a lot of walking around down there waiting for the runners to come in at the finish. It was such a blast! I am sleeping normally in any position, and I can climb in and out of BF's truck with no problem now, and walking at a much faster pace now, no problems keeping up with anyone.

I am going back to the gym this week, very much looking forward to it!
 
Hello there!
It sounds like you had a very active holiday weekend. It’s good to read you’re feeling great because what you’ve shared may be too ambitious or difficult for some at only five and a half weeks post op. You seem to be handling it well. Don’t hesitate to use the ice if you notice any repercussions now that the weekend has passed.
Thanks for sharing, I hope you have a lovely week! :walking:
@Chessie
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom