THR Mudbug's rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.
AndyH99 that's a great idea thanks,I will have to go find me one and try it out! That thing is so low maybe 2 and tie them together .
 
Hello @Lady mudbug
Great to catch up with your posts. You are doing so well. Keep going, so brilliantly ....

@AndyH99
Your swim ring thing made me laugh. We all have to be very inventive must look crazy to the outside world!
 
Well I bought 3 blow up rings (20" round ) 1 was too low but 2 was just the right height. The third is a back- up just in cause, well you know if something can go wrong it probably will !
 
Brilliant, glad you found some that worked. It's quite amazing how adaptive we have to be some times, then again I find it quite "fun" finding solutions to some of the challenges.

Hope the trip goes well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just what I was thinking @AndyH99. The creativeness of us all when we are desperate. Well done Lady M. I must say it conjures up cartoon pictures, wobbling around on three rings ... whoops! Enjoy your break.
 
@Lady mudbug, Just read through your thread. You sound like you are sailing through your recovery. Congratulations. I'm impressed with how much biking you are able to do. I used to commute by bicycle to work a few years ago. I loved it, but after doing that and teaching ballet, my hips would ache all night. They still haven't been able to handle the stationary bike yet, but I'm hoping that they will, in time.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I can't wait till I can get on my road bike , but it will be a while so I'm contented with riding inside.the past 5 years riding a bike was the only exercise that didn't hurt my hip till 6 months ago then it got so bad getting on and off or climbing hills sooo, that became a big issue with me and I knew it was time for the new hip! My bike group has different level riders but I think I will begin a new ride for SLOW but STEADY riders who are not in a hurry to get anywhere .
I'm still using a cane ( 4 wks out ) so I think when I can drop the cane I can ease into riding ! ❤️❤️
 
Wow...it's so interesting how different we all are. (Same surgery, but different causes.) I loved riding my bike, but I had to tip the bike in the last year to mount and dismount. We have all kinds of bike paths here, and I used to take my bike on the bus and ride all over the city. (They have bike racks on the fronts of the buses. We can take our bicycles on the train, too. There is a special car.)

Hope you can get back into riding soon. The SLOW but STEADY group sounds great. I used to ride my dog alongside my bike with a Walkydog. She loved it. She looked so cute.

I'm going to try the stationary bike again sometime next week. (when I work up my courage.) I think I'll just do five mins. this time. (in case my hip joints still rebel.) Keep up the great work!
 
5 weeks out from surgery today ! I feel I've accomplished a lot in week 4-5 . Haven't had the need to ice lately ,I started driving , no issues. I spent the weekend out of town in a camper ,thought I'd have a too low of a toilet issue so I planned ahead , but didn't have any issues using different bathrooms all weekend, so I've done away with the seat riser in our bathroom! Hey little steps!!! I'm not using the cane when I'm in a room but need it when I'm going any distant. Still have a bit of a limp. It's not due to pain it's a weakness feeling and stability. Still following the BS mantras , plenty of rest, icing when needed and elevate !
 
@ Lady mudbug So happy you are doing so well!! Keep up the great recovery!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lady mudbug Great update and it sounds like those small steps are building up nicely. Really glad to hear the weekend went well and your adaptions and innovations work. I hope you get the PT sorted soon to handle the strength building.

Enjoy the progression and have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations @Lady mudbug! That's great news. Glad to hear the toilet seats weren't a problem. Letting go of those "handicapped assists" really makes a difference, psychologically. I hope things continue to go well and that you keep feeling stronger and more stable. You're doing great!
 
Went for my 7 week Dr appointment and everything looks great!!!! I've seen the most improvement in the last week and a half . I haven't been using a cane while I'm in my home and on short walks, but I use it if I'm walking a good distance. I've gone from walking like a penguin to just a slight limp. There's been no real pain but muscle soreness at the end of a busy day. Energy level goes up and down and I give in to it when I need to . I was sitting on my sofa last night and looked at my legs and noticed they were crossed, I was shocked and excited , I don't remember doing that it's been 6 mo since I've been able to. I uncrossed them immediately thinking " should I be doing that ? It didn't hurt so maybe I can . I made some potato salad and apple pie the other day which pre surgery I would of just whipped them out but now it took me the whole day ( haha ) but I did enjoy it! Sitting in the dr office I was just so excited about how good I feel I wanted to jump up and say " if anyone is contemplating hip replacement , just do it "! Didn't have the nerve though. Sorry this post is long but I know if anyone can relate it's my fellow BS comrades !
 
@Lady mudbug,
You are doing remarkable. Isn't it amazing what our bodies are capable of after major surgery, such as THR. I have read through your thread and you definitely went about your recovery in the right way. Congratulations!
 
@Nana757 thanks , I do really feel blessed in that I had no problems or BIG pain levels .It is still exhausting WORK just trying to walk normal and I know it just takes time but I'm so excited about being able to walk without pain!!! My other hip looks the same ( deteriated )on The X-rays prior to surgery but I've never had any pain or issues so .... shhhhhh we won't tell it ! Let's hope it stays that way. Oh by the way I was born and raised in Alexandria , most of my family live within 2 hrs around there and I love when I love coming back home for visits . Next year my grown sons and I are hiking the Appalachian trail ( 3 day / 50 mi ) can't wait! Looks like I better get back in shape.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom