Guest viewing is limited

TKR more than I bargained for

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's been awhile since I have posted, and I would like to say my knee is somewhat better, but it's not. I am having problems with getting my knee straight currently I am minus 14 degrees. It is painful walking or standing, and still having a lot of pain. Still take Dilaudid, but now my left knee is painful especially the knee cap. I go to outpatient PT twice a week, and a Dynasplint has been prescribed, just waiting for a representative to meet with me. Have others gone through a lot of problems without undergoing a revision?
 
I know that it is often harder to get full extension than it is to get your knee to bend. It can be a very slow process, but it's worth it in the end. Don't despair - just keep working on it, gently but regularly.
I expect you're already doing some of these, but this article might help:
Extension: exercises for improvement
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing the exercises described, it is just frustrating trying to get the extension I want. Not having it has thrown off my gait causing hip, back and ankle pain. Trying to stay positive.
 
Did you have poor extension before your surgery? If so, it does take longer to cure a long-standing postural anomaly.
 
I did not have poor extension before surgery, and for now my PT thinks that I am behind in my recovery due to the sepsis I developed after my surgery.
 
I agree with your PT. The sepsis could well have caused a set-back.

I'm sure that, with time and patience, you will eventually get full extension.
 
I know I have a thread started, but I cannot find it. It has been 9 months since my right knee replacement, and the pain is just as bad. I have sharp shooting pain that runs down the tibia, and constant aching. I am still on dilaudid just to function. In May I underwent neck surgery for a herniated disc, weakness and stenosis, I mention this because I went back to my surgeon because of the intense pain, and told him about the neck surgery and now he's trying to tell me that all the pain is from sciatica. All my spine issues are in my neck. I am frustrated and do not relish the thought of more knee surgery.
 
Yes, and my neurosurgeon has recommended a surgeon in their practice to see. I am just not looking forward to possibly having more surgery, or a revision, but then again the surgeon who did my replacement said I overreacted when I demanded that I be sent back to the hospital from rehab just hours after I arrived, due to not being able to put any weight on my right leg, and had two huge fluid filled blisters under the bandage. By the time I arrived back at the hospital, I had a 102 fever. I ended up with bacteremia and an extra 6 days in the hospital plus going home with a picc line. I know I have to get a second opinion. Just worry that the pain will continue.
 
I know I have a thread started, but I cannot find it.
@thebbmurphy here is your thread. This might help you in future How can I find my threads and posts?
my PT thinks that I am behind in my recovery due to the sepsis I developed after my surgery.
I know this is an old post but, having just reread through your thread, it's much more likely that the brutal PT they subjected you to was responsible for your retarded recovery.
I have sharp shooting pain that runs down the tibia
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart? I'll be back!
(Please note the instructions in the smaller image)

[Bonesmart.org] more than I bargained for


[Bonesmart.org] more than I bargained for
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom