More questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knee recovery is YOUR time. If they don't know how bad you are, get them to watch a video of TKR being done.
Bingo!

For at least a month after surgery, they should rely on you for NOTHING,
An excellent point. If there is a family gathering or such, make no promises. I used the saying, "If I'm there, I'm there." I did not make it a point to say that I would be places over the holidays, nor did I say that if I was there, that I would be there for a certain period of time.

As Roy said, this recovery time is, indeed, YOUR TIME.
 
Kprune, we will answer any other questions you have and will be waiting for you on the recovery/healing side. Let your family help and feel that they are doing something for you. Sometimes the biggest thing we can do is let others contribute and help us. My husband feels really great that he could take care of me - not anything he has really done in 20yrs. It made him feel good. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Scared- I am very worried about being assertive with my PT. I'm kinda wimpy when it comes to being assertive.
Wish me luck!! :beg:
 
Every now and then each and every one of us has to have some ME-time. I have no doubt that you can spot these times with your spouse and sons, whether it's watching football or going fishing or whatever it is.

Knee recovery is YOUR time. If they don't know how bad you are, get them to watch a video of TKR being done.

For at least a month after surgery, they should rely on you for NOTHING, nowt, nix, fanny adams, big zero. They should look after you 24/7, 100%, and you should NOT be guilty for accepting it, indeed you should tell them that this is what you expect -- show them this forum, if necessary. And after that month you get back into doing stuff very slowly and gently.

They should be pleased to help. I am sure that all the rest of the time you look after them pretty good. Now it's your turn.
This is what Roy said and I am trying to quote him. So true!!!!!!!
 
I am very worried about being assertive with my PT.


[Bonesmart.org] More questions...
when it come to PT, Kprune. Try to remember that you (or your insurance company) are paying the bill for the services being rendered. The therapist is NOT doing you a favor; he/she is working FOR you. And just make yourself say NO to anything that goes beyond discomfort. NO PAIN ALLOWED!!! Pain is NOT conducive to healing and recovering. YOU CAN DO IT----I BELIEVE IN YOU!


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I went to my pre-op class today. They talked a lot about PT, but also mentioned not over-doing it or causing pain or swelling. That made me feel much better!
 
As Ray frequently says--after the surgery, you need to heal and recover, not "train" for a marathon. Recovery is not a contest, though we all get impatient and can't help but compare ourselves to others whose recovery seems faster. Once you acknowledge that your new knee is running the show (and that will become perfectly clear), it will be easier for you to let the PT know what works and what doesn't.
Good luck!
j
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom