PKR MommaDknee's recovery

mommaDknee

Country
United States United States
I had my partial Knee replacement surgery July 10, 2017. It was a great experience except: 1) the nerve blocker made think I was a super hero in the hospital and I fell twice in the bathroom; 2) I keep thinking I'm better than I am and the pain at night is crazy!! What's up with that???

Positives: taking my meds according to the clock and not my feelings has helped exponentially! Getting up day 1 in the hospital after surgery and moving was a great help. Doing what I can and being honest about what I can't and holding my ground has helped with at home PT therapist. Granted, I pretty much do what ever he says. I am giving myself grace to feel great one day and if I feel horrible another day, well, that's acceptable, too.

Because my surgery was related to a work injury, I am concerned they will try to send me back before my body is ready. Reading these posts have given me great language to use with my doctor in the event it's too soon and I need to advocate for myself. Having had major spine surgery before, I was hesitant to get on any forums due to the negativity and hopelessness that's out there. I need to focus on healing and wholeness.

Be well. Be healthy!

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! You will notice your post has been moved into a thread of its own. This is now your recovery thread and we'd be grateful if you could keep all posts about your own recovery in here. That way you won't derail other people's recovery threads.

You appear to have got your recovery very well organised for which I applaud you.

Here's our recovery articles

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome... I had my partial on 3/20. I am doing very well. It has been a bit of a journey because I expected to be perfect in a month. I have been very rigorous on PT and rehab. So far, I am happy with my progress. I did not find this site to be negative or hopeless. Even though I did not follow the bonesmart model, I have found the site useful, and continue to check in. It has been helpful to me.
Wishing you the best!

You will find that this forum is very positive and helpful. All of us have been through some type of knee replacement. We know what you are going through and have probably been through the exact same things. Ask any questions or voice any concerns you might have. Someone will be here to try and help you!

You've found the right place for support and encouragement. It sounds like you have the right approach with PT--don't be afraid to say no or as I usually said "not yet."

Hi, I had my right partial knee replaced on July 3rd. Had my left partial knee replacement 5 years ago and if this recent replacement turns out to be anything as good as my first I will be totally happy. Can you describe the night time pain you have to see if i can identify, I too have struggled with night time pain

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom